Sharing raid within a cluster - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Sharing raid within a cluster - Veritas Cluster Server ; Hi, I have two Sun 280R boxes clustered working fine with Solaris 8. This cluster will share a raid array However, I am now trying to set up Volume Manager Storage Administrator so that both boxes in the cluster will ...

  1. Sharing raid within a cluster

    Hi,

    I have two Sun 280R boxes clustered working fine with Solaris 8. This
    cluster will share a raid array

    However, I am now trying to set up Volume Manager Storage Administrator
    so that both boxes in the cluster will see the raid as shared.

    But I don't have the option in the java console under New Group to do this.
    I'm expecting to see 'cluster options' but its not there. So each box
    sees the raid but not shared.

    Does anyone know what I am missing here - is there another component
    I have to install or a license key i have to activate ?

    thanks in advance

    dm

  2. Re: Sharing raid within a cluster

    are you using SANPont Foundation Suite???

    "DM" wrote in message news:3d2472cd@hronntp01....
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have two Sun 280R boxes clustered working fine with Solaris 8. This
    > cluster will share a raid array
    >
    > However, I am now trying to set up Volume Manager Storage Administrator
    > so that both boxes in the cluster will see the raid as shared.
    >
    > But I don't have the option in the java console under New Group to do

    this.
    > I'm expecting to see 'cluster options' but its not there. So each box
    > sees the raid but not shared.
    >
    > Does anyone know what I am missing here - is there another component
    > I have to install or a license key i have to activate ?
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > dm

  3. Re: Sharing raid within a cluster

    AFAIK it should be SANPoint FOundatin Suite HA

    Użytkownik "Ricky Teo" napisał w wiadomości
    > are you using SANPont Foundation Suite???
    >
    > "DM" wrote in message news:3d2472cd@hronntp01....
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have two Sun 280R boxes clustered working fine with Solaris 8. This
    > > cluster will share a raid array
    > >
    > > However, I am now trying to set up Volume Manager Storage Administrator
    > > so that both boxes in the cluster will see the raid as shared.
    > >
    > > But I don't have the option in the java console under New Group to do

    > this.
    > > I'm expecting to see 'cluster options' but its not there. So each box
    > > sees the raid but not shared.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know what I am missing here - is there another component
    > > I have to install or a license key i have to activate ?
    > >
    > > thanks in advance
    > >
    > > dm

  4. Re: Sharing raid within a cluster

    You have to import the diskgroup as shared not make a disk group as shared.

    Simer

    "Tomasz Kilinski" wrote:
    >AFAIK it should be SANPoint FOundatin Suite HA
    >
    >Użytkownik "Ricky Teo" napisał w wiadomości
    >> are you using SANPont Foundation Suite???
    >>
    >> "DM" wrote in message news:3d2472cd@hronntp01....
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I have two Sun 280R boxes clustered working fine with Solaris 8. This
    >> > cluster will share a raid array
    >> >
    >> > However, I am now trying to set up Volume Manager Storage Administrator
    >> > so that both boxes in the cluster will see the raid as shared.
    >> >
    >> > But I don't have the option in the java console under New Group to do

    >> this.
    >> > I'm expecting to see 'cluster options' but its not there. So each box
    >> > sees the raid but not shared.
    >> >
    >> > Does anyone know what I am missing here - is there another component
    >> > I have to install or a license key i have to activate ?
    >> >
    >> > thanks in advance
    >> >
    >> > dm

  5. Re: Sharing raid within a cluster

    Shared storage implies two hosts can see same array, but only one host should
    attempt to access a given LUN at a time.

    A shared diskgroup is imported on multiple hosts simultaneously, and is a
    concept of Clustered Volume Manager (CVM) which requires an additional license.

    "vxdg import oradg" imports DG on one node only.

    "vxdg -s import oradg" must be executed on the "master" CVM node, and it
    imports the diskgroup as shared on all nodes in the CVM cluster.

    Contact your Account Manager regarding:
    SanPoint Foundation Suite/HA (SPFS/HA)
    DataBase EDition/Advanced Cluster for Oracle (DBED/AC)

    Each provides shared diskgroup capability using the included CVM license.
    They also provide licenses for Cluster File System (CFS) and the necessary
    lock manager components.

    "Simer" wrote:

    >You have to import the diskgroup as shared not make a disk group as shared.
    >

    >Simer
    >

    >"Tomasz Kilinski" wrote:
    >>AFAIK it should be SANPoint FOundatin Suite HA
    >>
    >>Użytkownik "Ricky Teo" napisał w wiadomości
    >>> are you using SANPont Foundation Suite???

    do
    >>> this.

+ Reply to Thread