Veritas and Sun BSM - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Veritas and Sun BSM - Veritas Cluster Server ; I have a Veritas cluster running on Solaris 2.6. I need to startup the Basic Security Module on solaris for some intrusion detection software. A previous sysadmin that worked with me, said there was a conflict between veritas and bsm. ...

  1. Veritas and Sun BSM

    I have a Veritas cluster running on Solaris 2.6. I need to startup
    the Basic Security Module on solaris for some intrusion detection
    software. A previous sysadmin that worked with me, said there was a
    conflict between veritas and bsm. Does anyone know of this problem? If
    so, can they point me towards a document that outlines it?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Veritas and Sun BSM

    Could be the version of Perl.

    VCS wants to make sure that the Perl code always works. As soon as VCS
    calls the "online" or "monitor", it sets the Perl environment for VCS to
    always work (the @INC variable actually gets set).

    If your programs are Perl as well, then you have to set the @INC your
    self. Sometimes it is as simple as setting the PERL5LIB variable alone
    (this is actualy part of the @INC).

    So, to find your PERL5LIB, you need to do the following:

    1. Check in the top of your Perl script if a #! is present and if it
    points at a certain version of perl (something like: #!
    /usr/local/bin/perl)

    2. Now run this version of Perl with the "-v" option (if there is no !#
    at the top of your Perl script, I would suggest placing one there to
    start with)

    3. At the bottom of the output, you will see the PERL5LIB variable and
    it's value (say something like : PERL5LIB=/usr/local/perl/lib). Now,
    again, go to the Perl script. Place the following line somewhere above
    the first "use" in the Perl scrip (and after the #!)

    set PERL5LIB="/usr/local/perl/lib"

    (or anything that your "perl -v" output gave you).

    This should be good enough for any Perl issues.
    If there are still some issues after that, please see the Perl doco for
    setting the @INC variable (this sets the PERL5LIB and some other
    environment variables for you)

    Version 4, VCS dropped the strict setting of the whole @INC variable. It
    now only makes sure that the correct Perl is called (with a !#)

    Wolfgang wrote:
    > I had problems with BSM enabled and vcs 3.5 with a Crontab resource.
    > The log says somethink like "your shell has no security context". I
    > think it is a problem with the perl which comes with this version, with
    > 4.0 it seems to work (not my expirience).
    >
    > Iwould glad to solve this problem, because I want to use BSM to treack
    > down a problems with automated Scripts which handles signals (kill) I
    > dont know where their come from.
    >

    > Michael schrieb:
    >
    >> I have a Veritas cluster running on Solaris 2.6. I need to startup
    >> the Basic Security Module on solaris for some intrusion detection
    >> software. A previous sysadmin that worked with me, said there was a
    >> conflict between veritas and bsm. Does anyone know of this problem? If
    >> so, can they point me towards a document that outlines it?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

  3. Re: Veritas and Sun BSM

    Michael schrieb:
    > I have a Veritas cluster running on Solaris 2.6. I need to startup
    > the Basic Security Module on solaris for some intrusion detection
    > software. A previous sysadmin that worked with me, said there was a
    > conflict between veritas and bsm. Does anyone know of this problem? If
    > so, can they point me towards a document that outlines it?
    >
    > Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread