Shared Storage - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Shared Storage - Veritas Cluster Server ; Anyone have any experience sharing storage on A1000 arrays? I have an E3500 and an E4500 each with an A1000 storage array. When I tried to hook the SCSI connectors the E4500 array to the E3500 I kept getting a ...

  1. Shared Storage

    Anyone have any experience sharing storage on A1000 arrays? I have an
    E3500 and an E4500 each with an A1000 storage array. When I tried to
    hook the SCSI connectors the E4500 array to the E3500 I kept getting a
    controller fault light on the array. I then couldn't see the disks from
    either server. I changed the SCSI initiator on the E3500 but it didn't
    help. Veritas tells me it's a Sun problem. I spent the weekend on the
    phone with Sun support to no avail. Any ideas?

    Jim Adams

  2. Re: Shared Storage

    Hi James,

    We use the A1000 as shared storage in many VCS solutions and it works just fine. Are the controllers you are connecting
    to the A1000 DIFF-SCSI controllers? They have to be.
    I've had a problem with a bad external terminator causing the same effect. Maybe this is the problem; internal
    termination problem on a controller.
    Start by testing that each host seperately can work with the A1000. If they do, there should be no problem to use both
    hosts together with the A1000 at the same time.

    Hope this helps in any way.

    /Peter

    James Adams wrote:

    > Anyone have any experience sharing storage on A1000 arrays? I have an
    > E3500 and an E4500 each with an A1000 storage array. When I tried to
    > hook the SCSI connectors the E4500 array to the E3500 I kept getting a
    > controller fault light on the array. I then couldn't see the disks from
    > either server. I changed the SCSI initiator on the E3500 but it didn't
    > help. Veritas tells me it's a Sun problem. I spent the weekend on the
    > phone with Sun support to no avail. Any ideas?
    >
    > Jim Adams

  3. Re: Shared Storage

    > Are
    > the controllers you are connecting
    > to the A1000 DIFF-SCSI controllers?

    How would I check?

  4. Re: Shared Storage

    Hi,

    Normally it is written on the controller card, around the connector, if it is a DIFFERENTIAL or a SINGLE ENDED card. The
    SCSI symbol for DIFFERENTIAL and SINGLE ENDED SCSI are different, see picture.

    [Image]

    /P

    James Adams wrote:

    > > Are
    > > the controllers you are connecting
    > > to the A1000 DIFF-SCSI controllers?

    > How would I check?

  5. Re: Shared Storage

    On the A1000 they're marked as Differential. On the boards they're
    marked as Single Ended. However, when I check prtdiag they show-up as
    ISP. I expect that is more reliable as the arrays are working on each
    respective server. it's only when I try to dual host one I get a
    problem.

  6. Re: Shared Storage

    Hi,

    You must always use the correct controller card for DIFF-SCSI. This is due
    to high voltage used in DIFF-SCSI. If you mix DIFF-SCSI and SE-SCSI you
    can damage the devices and the controllers. On the machines we build, with
    A1000s, we always use DIFF controllers on the host and I have never seen
    any problems with dual hosting. I would suggest you change your
    controllers to DIFF controllers and try again. It sounds like a
    termination issue and I don't know what happens when you mix DIFF devices
    and SE controllers.

    /P

    James Adams wrote:

    > On the A1000 they're marked as Differential. On the boards they're
    > marked as Single Ended. However, when I check prtdiag they show-up as
    > ISP. I expect that is more reliable as the arrays are working on each
    > respective server. it's only when I try to dual host one I get a
    > problem.

  7. Re: Shared Storage

    tk what problems were you experiencing?

    James Adams wrote:
    >On the A1000 they're marked as Differential. On the boards they're
    >marked as Single Ended. However, when I check prtdiag they show-up as
    >ISP. I expect that is more reliable as the arrays are working on each
    >respective server. it's only when I try to dual host one I get a
    >problem.

  8. Re: Shared Storage

    Actually, the problem had to do with the way I set-up the SCSI
    initiators in EPROM. Was only re-seting one device. It's working fine
    now but it sure took me a while to get this done. Part was my
    over-looking the obvious - a problem when you're a one man band.

  9. Re: Shared Storage

    Our installation guide gives examples of how to change one of the initiators
    on the shared bus to avoid the default ID 7 conflict because of two HBAs.

    My personal preference is the method James has employed of using nvramrc
    to change .properties of the HBA at the PROM level. This method survives
    jumpstarting, reinstalling OS, and booting from CD.

    Check Sunsolve FAQ 3174 method #2 for more details:

    http://sunsolve.sun.com/private-cgi/...i-initiator-id

    -Bryan.

    James Adams wrote:
    >Actually, the problem had to do with the way I set-up the SCSI
    >initiators in EPROM. Was only re-seting one device. It's working fine
    >now but it sure took me a while to get this done. Part was my
    >over-looking the obvious - a problem when you're a one man band.

+ Reply to Thread