Ungraceful Failover Testing on Solaris - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Ungraceful Failover Testing on Solaris - Veritas Cluster Server ; For Solaris systems, what is a good way to perform un-graceful failover testing, short of switching off power ? On AIX systems, writing to /dev/kmem (# echo "die" >/dev/kmem) causes an immediate crash and is therefore a technique for performing ...

  1. Ungraceful Failover Testing on Solaris

    For Solaris systems, what is a good way to perform un-graceful
    failover testing, short of switching off power ?

    On AIX systems, writing to /dev/kmem (# echo "die" >/dev/kmem)
    causes an immediate crash and is therefore a technique for
    performing un-graceful failover testing.

    The above technique does not appear to be appropriate for
    Solaris.

    For Solaris, does anyone have a technique they would recommend
    to cause an immediate crash ?

  2. Re: Ungraceful Failover Testing on Solaris

    Hi Mark,

    The Solaris uadmin command can be used for this.

    uadmin 2 0

    will immediately bring the system down. It doesn't cause a panic but instead an immediate shutdown without stopping any
    processes, just syncing the filesystem (takes about 3-4 seconds to stop the system).

    Hope this helps.

    /P

    Mark Nordman wrote:

    > For Solaris systems, what is a good way to perform un-graceful
    > failover testing, short of switching off power ?
    >
    > On AIX systems, writing to /dev/kmem (# echo "die" >/dev/kmem)
    > causes an immediate crash and is therefore a technique for
    > performing un-graceful failover testing.
    >
    > The above technique does not appear to be appropriate for
    > Solaris.
    >
    > For Solaris, does anyone have a technique they would recommend
    > to cause an immediate crash ?

  3. Re: Ungraceful Failover Testing on Solaris

    Peter,

    Thanks for the information, it will be helpful.

    I would still like to be able to generate an immediate crash
    (without file system sync-ing) to have a more realistic
    simulation of a catastrophic failure.

    Because of concerns about triggering actual hardware failures,
    I'd like to be able to perform this simulation without actually
    "pulling the power".

    Thanks again for the info, I do appreciate you feedback and
    suggestions.

    Peter Sevborn wrote:
    >Hi Mark,
    >
    >The Solaris uadmin command can be used for this.
    >
    >uadmin 2 0
    >
    >will immediately bring the system down. It doesn't cause a panic but instead

    an immediate
    >shutdown without stopping any
    >processes, just syncing the filesystem (takes about 3-4 seconds to stop

    the system).

    >Hope this helps.
    >
    >/P
    >

    >Mark Nordman wrote:
    >
    >> For Solaris systems, what is a good way to perform un-graceful
    >> failover testing, short of switching off power ?
    >>
    >> On AIX systems, writing to /dev/kmem (# echo "die" >/dev/kmem)
    >> causes an immediate crash and is therefore a technique for
    >> performing un-graceful failover testing.
    >>
    >> The above technique does not appear to be appropriate for
    >> Solaris.
    >>
    >> For Solaris, does anyone have a technique they would recommend
    >> to cause an immediate crash ?

  4. Re: Ungraceful Failover Testing on Solaris

    For those monitoring this discussion thread, just a quick update
    to relay what I've learned.

    It appears the Solaris command "halt -nq" will perform an
    immediate halt without sync-ing the file systems and without
    performing a graceful shutdown.

    If anyone has additonal thoughts or suggestions, I would
    certainly be interested in them.

    "Mark Nordman" wrote:

    >Peter,
    >
    >Thanks for the information, it will be helpful.
    >
    >I would still like to be able to generate an immediate crash
    >(without file system sync-ing) to have a more realistic
    >simulation of a catastrophic failure.
    >
    >Because of concerns about triggering actual hardware failures,
    >I'd like to be able to perform this simulation without actually
    >"pulling the power".
    >
    >Thanks again for the info, I do appreciate you feedback and
    >suggestions.
    >
    >Peter Sevborn wrote:
    >>Hi Mark,
    >>
    >>The Solaris uadmin command can be used for this.
    >>
    >>uadmin 2 0
    >>
    >>will immediately bring the system down. It doesn't cause a panic but instead

    >an immediate
    >>shutdown without stopping any
    >>processes, just syncing the filesystem (takes about 3-4 seconds to stop

    >the system).
    >>
    >>Hope this helps.
    >>
    >>/P
    >>

    >>Mark Nordman wrote:
    >>
    >>> For Solaris systems, what is a good way to perform un-graceful
    >>> failover testing, short of switching off power ?
    >>>
    >>> On AIX systems, writing to /dev/kmem (# echo "die" >/dev/kmem)
    >>> causes an immediate crash and is therefore a technique for
    >>> performing un-graceful failover testing.
    >>>
    >>> The above technique does not appear to be appropriate for
    >>> Solaris.
    >>>
    >>> For Solaris, does anyone have a technique they would recommend
    >>> to cause an immediate crash ?

  5. Re: Ungraceful Failover Testing on Solaris

    My 2 cents...issue the Stop+A keystroke command. It should bring the
    system down to the OBP prompt (unless this has been disabled).

    W4J

    On 30 Apr 2002 17:34:04 -0400, "Mark Nordman"
    wrote:

    >For those monitoring this discussion thread, just a quick update
    >to relay what I've learned.
    >
    >It appears the Solaris command "halt -nq" will perform an
    >immediate halt without sync-ing the file systems and without
    >performing a graceful shutdown.
    >
    >If anyone has additonal thoughts or suggestions, I would
    >certainly be interested in them.
    >
    >"Mark Nordman" wrote:
    >>
    >>Peter,
    >>
    >>Thanks for the information, it will be helpful.
    >>
    >>I would still like to be able to generate an immediate crash
    >>(without file system sync-ing) to have a more realistic
    >>simulation of a catastrophic failure.
    >>
    >>Because of concerns about triggering actual hardware failures,
    >>I'd like to be able to perform this simulation without actually
    >>"pulling the power".
    >>
    >>Thanks again for the info, I do appreciate you feedback and
    >>suggestions.
    >>
    >>Peter Sevborn wrote:
    >>>Hi Mark,
    >>>
    >>>The Solaris uadmin command can be used for this.
    >>>
    >>>uadmin 2 0
    >>>
    >>>will immediately bring the system down. It doesn't cause a panic but instead

    >>an immediate
    >>>shutdown without stopping any
    >>>processes, just syncing the filesystem (takes about 3-4 seconds to stop

    >>the system).
    >>>
    >>>Hope this helps.
    >>>
    >>>/P

+ Reply to Thread