Has anyone seen explicit instructions on how to configure NetBackup 3.4
(using Oracle RMAN capabilities, rather than BLI) to back up a VCS service
group that is under the control of the VCS Oracle agent?

An example configuration:

Assumptions: All nodes run Solaris 8, and have Veritas DB Edition for
Oracle 2.2 loaded, as well as VCS 3.1.
We are using Oracle 8.1.7 64-bit, and have loaded patch F0850507 to the
server and all clients.

A host named node1 is the NetBackup server, and is a member of a VCS
cluster.
Other hosts, named node2, node3, and node4 are also in the same cluster.
The hostname for the Oracle service is "oradb".

Any member of the cluster can run the Oracle service.

If I configure an Oracle backup class in NetBackup, using client name
"oradb", what do I have to do to have NetBackup follow the service group
around, no matter which node it is running on?

Currently, I have to put the following in each host's bp.conf file (this is
an example from node1):
CLIENT = node1
CLIENT = oradb

***AND*** I have to have the following client list in the NetBackup Oracle
class:
node1
node2
node3
node4
oradb

If I remove the node names I get the following error from RMAN when the
backups run:
RMAN-00571: ================================================== =========
RMAN-00571: ================================================== =========
RMAN-03007: retryable error occurred during execution of command: backup
RMAN-07004: unhandled exception during command execution on channel t1
RMAN-10035: exception raised in RPC: ORA-19506: failed to create sequential
file, name="bk_34_1_436113353", parms=""
ORA-27028: skgfqcre: sbtbackup returned error
ORA-19511: sbtbackup: Failed to open for backup.
RMAN-10031: ORA-19624 occurred during call to
DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE.BACKUPPIECECREATE

If I leave the node names in, the backup runs perfectly, but let's say that
the service group currently runs on node2; NetBackup is probably backing up
oradb, then node2 as well! Since the service isn't running on node1, node3,
or node4, nothing will happen on them...

Is there any way for me to be able to just list "oradb" in the NetBackup
class's client list, and still have the backup work properly?

Gordon Marler
gmarler@gmarler.com