VCS on HP-UX 11 Shared disk setups - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on VCS on HP-UX 11 Shared disk setups - Veritas Cluster Server ; I am trying to set up a Volume Group - Logical Volume - FS combo to allow for a basic NFS demo of VCS. I have mirroring and ONlineJFS installed . Has anyone set up HP disks in shared mode ...

  1. VCS on HP-UX 11 Shared disk setups

    I am trying to set up a Volume Group - Logical Volume - FS combo
    to allow for a basic NFS demo of VCS.

    I have mirroring and ONlineJFS installed .

    Has anyone set up HP disks in shared mode to allow for a failover
    switch. What procedure did you follow to create the shared disks
    in HP?

  2. Re: VCS on HP-UX 11 Shared disk setups

    Are you planning to use Veritas Volummanager or HP LVM?

    -Preben-

    "Kevin Gee" wrote:

    >I am trying to set up a Volume Group - Logical Volume - FS combo
    >to allow for a basic NFS demo of VCS.
    >
    >I have mirroring and ONlineJFS installed .
    >
    >Has anyone set up HP disks in shared mode to allow for a failover
    >switch. What procedure did you follow to create the shared disks
    >in HP?

  3. Re: VCS on HP-UX 11 Shared disk setups

    Good Morning Preben,

    I am using LVM to control a XIOTech MAGNITUDE.

    My issue is the abiltity to failover the Volume Group from my primary server
    (topgun L Class) to my secondary server (mig K Class).

    I can import, export, activate and deactivate when I buiild the
    Volume Group on each individual host. I am aware that I am to build the VG
    from only one node. I have removed any trace of the old VG and rebuilt the
    VG from topgun and I am not able to bring the VG online on mig. The /dev/volgrpname
    on the servers are different. How can I get those to match up?

    Does the VG have to be shared via DLM or MCSC? I know from my Solaris Foundation
    Suite and VCS test bed that the shared Volume Manager DG's and VG are locked
    when one server has control of the shared disks.

    Thanks for any insight you might have.

    "Preben Olsen" wrote:

    >Are you planning to use Veritas Volummanager or HP LVM?
    >
    >-Preben-
    >
    >"Kevin Gee" wrote:
    >>
    >>I am trying to set up a Volume Group - Logical Volume - FS combo
    >>to allow for a basic NFS demo of VCS.
    >>
    >>I have mirroring and ONlineJFS installed .
    >>
    >>Has anyone set up HP disks in shared mode to allow for a failover
    >>switch. What procedure did you follow to create the shared disks
    >>in HP?

  4. Re: VCS on HP-UX 11 Shared disk setups

    do something like this:

    - make shure that both nodes see evry device on the shared disk storage.
    You can use 'ioscan' and 'insf' for this.
    - Create the VG dir unnder /dev with the same name on both nodes. And create
    the group file with the same id on both nodes also.
    - Create the volumgroup on one node, with volumes and filesystems.
    - Then do an export with the -p and -m options so that you get a map file.
    Ftp this file to the other host, end do a import here. Also copy the device
    files from /dev/myvg from the first host to the other (tar,ftp or simular
    methods).
    - Deactivate the VG on the first node and then try activate it on the other.
    - Mount the filesystem(s)

    Is this the information you are looking for: how to create a VG that can
    be activeted one 2 nodes, but only 1 at a time?

    -Preben-

    "Kevin Gee" wrote:

    >Good Morning Preben,
    >
    >I am using LVM to control a XIOTech MAGNITUDE.
    >
    >My issue is the abiltity to failover the Volume Group from my primary server
    >(topgun L Class) to my secondary server (mig K Class).
    >
    >I can import, export, activate and deactivate when I buiild the
    >Volume Group on each individual host. I am aware that I am to build the

    VG
    >from only one node. I have removed any trace of the old VG and rebuilt the
    >VG from topgun and I am not able to bring the VG online on mig. The /dev/volgrpname
    >on the servers are different. How can I get those to match up?
    >
    >Does the VG have to be shared via DLM or MCSC? I know from my Solaris Foundation
    >Suite and VCS test bed that the shared Volume Manager DG's and VG are locked
    >when one server has control of the shared disks.
    >
    >Thanks for any insight you might have.
    >

    >"Preben Olsen" wrote:
    >>
    >>Are you planning to use Veritas Volummanager or HP LVM?
    >>
    >>-Preben-
    >>
    >>"Kevin Gee" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I am trying to set up a Volume Group - Logical Volume - FS combo
    >>>to allow for a basic NFS demo of VCS.
    >>>
    >>>I have mirroring and ONlineJFS installed .
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone set up HP disks in shared mode to allow for a failover
    >>>switch. What procedure did you follow to create the shared disks
    >>>in HP?

  5. Re: VCS on HP-UX 11 Shared disk setups XIOtech MAGNITUDE

    Thank you very much for your help.

    I neglected to create the map file. Rookie mistake.

    I appreciate your help. The cluster is working perfectly now.

    If I may be of any assistance in the future, I owe you one.

    "Preben Olsen" wrote:

    >do something like this:
    >
    >- make shure that both nodes see evry device on the shared disk storage.
    >You can use 'ioscan' and 'insf' for this.
    >- Create the VG dir unnder /dev with the same name on both nodes. And create
    >the group file with the same id on both nodes also.
    >- Create the volumgroup on one node, with volumes and filesystems.
    >- Then do an export with the -p and -m options so that you get a map file.
    >Ftp this file to the other host, end do a import here. Also copy the device
    >files from /dev/myvg from the first host to the other (tar,ftp or simular
    >methods).
    >- Deactivate the VG on the first node and then try activate it on the other.
    >- Mount the filesystem(s)
    >
    >Is this the information you are looking for: how to create a VG that can
    >be activeted one 2 nodes, but only 1 at a time?
    >

    >-Preben-
    >
    >"Kevin Gee" wrote:
    >>
    >>Good Morning Preben,
    >>
    >>I am using LVM to control a XIOTech MAGNITUDE.
    >>
    >>My issue is the abiltity to failover the Volume Group from my primary server
    >>(topgun L Class) to my secondary server (mig K Class).
    >>
    >>I can import, export, activate and deactivate when I buiild the
    >>Volume Group on each individual host. I am aware that I am to build the

    >VG
    >>from only one node. I have removed any trace of the old VG and rebuilt

    the
    >>VG from topgun and I am not able to bring the VG online on mig. The /dev/volgrpname
    >>on the servers are different. How can I get those to match up?
    >>
    >>Does the VG have to be shared via DLM or MCSC? I know from my Solaris Foundation
    >>Suite and VCS test bed that the shared Volume Manager DG's and VG are locked
    >>when one server has control of the shared disks.
    >>
    >>Thanks for any insight you might have.
    >>

    >>"Preben Olsen" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Are you planning to use Veritas Volummanager or HP LVM?
    >>>
    >>>-Preben-

  6. Re: VCS on HP-UX 11 Shared disk setups XIOtech MAGNITUDE

    Hi

    Glad I could you help out hmmmmm... now if someone could take a look at
    post 510 and 511.

    -Preben-

    "Kevin Gee" wrote:

    >Thank you very much for your help.
    >
    >I neglected to create the map file. Rookie mistake.
    >
    >I appreciate your help. The cluster is working perfectly now.
    >
    >If I may be of any assistance in the future, I owe you one.
    >

    >"Preben Olsen" wrote:
    >>
    >>do something like this:
    >>
    >>- make shure that both nodes see evry device on the shared disk storage.
    >>You can use 'ioscan' and 'insf' for this.
    >>- Create the VG dir unnder /dev with the same name on both nodes. And create
    >>the group file with the same id on both nodes also.
    >>- Create the volumgroup on one node, with volumes and filesystems.
    >>- Then do an export with the -p and -m options so that you get a map file.
    >>Ftp this file to the other host, end do a import here. Also copy the device
    >>files from /dev/myvg from the first host to the other (tar,ftp or simular
    >>methods).
    >>- Deactivate the VG on the first node and then try activate it on the other.
    >>- Mount the filesystem(s)
    >>
    >>Is this the information you are looking for: how to create a VG that can
    >>be activeted one 2 nodes, but only 1 at a time?
    >>

    >>-Preben-
    >>
    >>"Kevin Gee" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Good Morning Preben,
    >>>
    >>>I am using LVM to control a XIOTech MAGNITUDE.
    >>>
    >>>My issue is the abiltity to failover the Volume Group from my primary

    server
    >>>(topgun L Class) to my secondary server (mig K Class).
    >>>
    >>>I can import, export, activate and deactivate when I buiild the
    >>>Volume Group on each individual host. I am aware that I am to build the

    >>VG
    >>>from only one node. I have removed any trace of the old VG and rebuilt

    >the
    >>>VG from topgun and I am not able to bring the VG online on mig. The /dev/volgrpname
    >>>on the servers are different. How can I get those to match up?
    >>>
    >>>Does the VG have to be shared via DLM or MCSC? I know from my Solaris

    Foundation
    >>>Suite and VCS test bed that the shared Volume Manager DG's and VG are

    locked
    >>>when one server has control of the shared disks.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for any insight you might have.

+ Reply to Thread