MultiNIC - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on MultiNIC - Veritas Cluster Server ; Hi, What is MultiNIC agent ? How to use it? Thanks....

  1. MultiNIC

    Hi,

    What is MultiNIC agent ? How to use it?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: MultiNIC

    hope this helps

    MNic Agent is used to failover between NIC before attempt to failover to
    the next server. the following is the example to implement and hope this
    helps. let me know if you have more questions
    kalyan.S.N
    ksubrama@veritas.com

    Create a service group for just MultiNICA resource + phantom.
    This will be a parallel group that starts on all systems.

    group multi-nic_group (
    SystemList = { sys1, sys2 }
    AutoStartList = { sys1, sys2 }
    Parallel = 1
    )

    Phantom Multi-NICs (
    )

    MultiNICA mnic (
    Device@sys1 = { qfe0 = "192.168.1.1", qfe5 = "192.168.1.1" }
    Device@sys2 = { qfe0 = "192.168.1.2", qfe5 = "192.168.1.2" }
    NetMask = "255.255.255.0"
    Options = "trailers"
    )

    group Oracle-Instance1 (
    SystemList = { sys1, sys2 }
    AutoStartList = { sys1 }
    )

    DiskGroup xxx
    Volumes xxx
    Mounts xxx
    Oracle xxx
    Listener xxx

    Proxy Oracle1-NIC-Proxy (
    TargetResName = "mnic"
    )

    IPMultiNIC Oracle1-IP (
    Address = "192.168.1.3"
    NetMask = "255.255.255.0"
    MultiNICResName = mnic
    Options = "trailers"
    )

    Oracle1-IP requires Oracle1-NIC-Proxy

    "Krishna" wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >What is MultiNIC agent ? How to use it?
    >
    >Thanks.

  3. Re: MultiNIC

    I was looking at this wondering why does a MultiNICA resource needs to be
    in a seperate group with a Phantom? In a symmetric cluster where both nodes
    run different applications out of different groups using a MultiNICA resource
    in one group, and a proxy in the other would work. A MultiNICA resource is
    an OnOnly resource that VCS does not control. So why would it matter if it
    was in its own group?

    "kalyanasundaram subramaniyam" wrote:

    >hope this helps
    >
    >MNic Agent is used to failover between NIC before attempt to failover to
    >the next server. the following is the example to implement and hope this
    >helps. let me know if you have more questions
    >kalyan.S.N
    >ksubrama@veritas.com
    >
    >Create a service group for just MultiNICA resource + phantom.
    >This will be a parallel group that starts on all systems.
    >

    >group multi-nic_group (
    > SystemList = { sys1, sys2 }
    > AutoStartList = { sys1, sys2 }
    > Parallel = 1
    > )
    >
    > Phantom Multi-NICs (
    > )
    >
    > MultiNICA mnic (
    > Device@sys1 = { qfe0 = "192.168.1.1", qfe5 = "192.168.1.1" }
    > Device@sys2 = { qfe0 = "192.168.1.2", qfe5 = "192.168.1.2" }
    > NetMask = "255.255.255.0"
    > Options = "trailers"
    > )
    >

    >group Oracle-Instance1 (
    > SystemList = { sys1, sys2 }
    > AutoStartList = { sys1 }
    > )
    >
    > DiskGroup xxx
    > Volumes xxx
    > Mounts xxx
    > Oracle xxx
    > Listener xxx
    >
    > Proxy Oracle1-NIC-Proxy (
    > TargetResName = "mnic"
    > )
    >
    > IPMultiNIC Oracle1-IP (
    > Address = "192.168.1.3"
    > NetMask = "255.255.255.0"
    > MultiNICResName = mnic
    > Options = "trailers"
    > )
    >
    > Oracle1-IP requires Oracle1-NIC-Proxy
    >

    >"Krishna" wrote:
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>What is MultiNIC agent ? How to use it?
    >>
    >>Thanks.

  4. Re: MultiNIC

    Either way would work, but if you have many application groups, it may become
    cumbersome to search all the groups to locate the "real" multinic resource
    should you need to add/modify base interface attributes. The rule is to
    have one in some group, and proxies at the bottom of the other groups that
    use the resource.

    Its much cleaner to setup the parallel group "mnic" as suggested by Kalyanasundaram.
    And because the MultiNICA agent is an OnOnly resource type, we setup the
    Phantom agent in same group so VCS can properly declare the group as ONLINE.

    "Mark" wrote:

    >I was looking at this wondering why does a MultiNICA resource needs to be
    >in a seperate group with a Phantom? In a symmetric cluster where both nodes
    >run different applications out of different groups using a MultiNICA resource
    >in one group, and a proxy in the other would work. A MultiNICA resource

    is
    >an OnOnly resource that VCS does not control. So why would it matter if

    it
    >was in its own group?
    >

    >"kalyanasundaram subramaniyam" wrote:
    >>
    >>hope this helps
    >>
    >>MNic Agent is used to failover between NIC before attempt to failover to
    >>the next server. the following is the example to implement and hope this
    >>helps. let me know if you have more questions
    >>kalyan.S.N
    >>ksubrama@veritas.com
    >>
    >>Create a service group for just MultiNICA resource + phantom.
    >>This will be a parallel group that starts on all systems.
    >>

    >>group multi-nic_group (
    >> SystemList = { sys1, sys2 }
    >> AutoStartList = { sys1, sys2 }
    >> Parallel = 1