Hostname change and VCS - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Hostname change and VCS - Veritas Cluster Server ; We are using the Veritas VCS on some of our Solaris 2.6 systems. I need to know if there is an easy way to change a system hostname when a fail-over accurs. We are running an application that is very ...

  1. Hostname change and VCS

    We are using the Veritas VCS on some of our Solaris 2.6 systems.

    I need to know if there is an easy way to change a system hostname when a
    fail-over accurs. We are running an application that is very hostname dependent
    and I have been using the "uname -S command. This works, but I
    was wondering if the Veritas VCS had a built-in parameter for this.

    Thank you very much.

  2. Re: Hostname change and VCS

    If I understand your problem correctly, you should have had assigned 3 hostnames
    in your cluster.

    The primary and secondary server will each have a hostname assigned for Unix
    administration. A third "logical" hostname is also required for your cluster.

    This logical hostname migrates to the failover server when the time comes,
    VCS takes care of that.

    -Cesar

    "Mitch Lien" wrote:

    >We are using the Veritas VCS on some of our Solaris 2.6 systems.
    >
    >I need to know if there is an easy way to change a system hostname when

    >fail-over accurs. We are running an application that is very hostname dependent
    >and I have been using the "uname -S command. This works, but

    >was wondering if the Veritas VCS had a built-in parameter for this.
    >
    >Thank you very much.

  3. Re: Hostname change and VCS

    Mitch Lien wrote:

    > We are using the Veritas VCS on some of our Solaris 2.6 systems.
    >
    > I need to know if there is an easy way to change a system hostname when a
    > fail-over accurs. We are running an application that is very hostname dependent
    > and I have been using the "uname -S command. This works, but I
    > was wondering if the Veritas VCS had a built-in parameter for this.
    >
    > Thank you very much.

    VCS does not have a built in way to change the name reported by
    hostname. You should be able to create an agent for this, but there are
    other things effected when the hostname is changed that would have to be
    dealt with too. It might be better to contact the application vendor
    and work with them to allow it to use a hostname based on a name lookup
    from an IP, this would make it better for HA configurations.

    Bill Borsari

    ** Any views expressed are my own and not of my employer **

  4. Re: Hostname change and VCS

    "Mitch Lien" wrote:

    >I need to know if there is an easy way to change a system hostname when

    >fail-over accurs. We are running an application that is very hostname dependent
    >and I have been using the "uname -S command. This works, but

    >was wondering if the Veritas VCS had a built-in parameter for this.

    Why not just have both machines have the same hostname all the
    time? You can still have different names for them in your DNS
    so you can administer them more easily.

+ Reply to Thread