Is a single node cluster possible? - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Is a single node cluster possible? - Veritas Cluster Server ; If possible, I would like to install a single node cluster for testing purposes. Has anyone done this, or do they know if it is possible? If so, does anything special have to be done in the install?...

  1. Is a single node cluster possible?

    If possible, I would like to install a single node cluster for testing purposes.
    Has anyone done this, or do they know if it is possible? If so, does anything
    special have to be done in the install?

  2. Re: Is a single node cluster possible?

    No you can not.

    "Josh S." wrote in message

    > If possible, I would like to install a single node cluster for testing

    purposes.
    > Has anyone done this, or do they know if it is possible? If so, does

    anything
    > special have to be done in the install?

  3. Re: Is a single node cluster possible?

    What testing would you wish to carry out??

    A single node cluster - would defeat the whole object of a cluster - were it
    possible to do..
    Which Mickey - correctly point out that you can not do..

    Yours confused
    JW
    "Mickey Friedman" wrote in message
    > No you can not.
    >
    > "Josh S." wrote in message
    > >
    > > If possible, I would like to install a single node cluster for testing

    > purposes.
    > > Has anyone done this, or do they know if it is possible? If so, does

    > anything
    > > special have to be done in the install?

  4. Re: Is a single node cluster possible?

    "Josh S." wrote:

    > If possible, I would like to install a single node cluster for testing purposes.
    > Has anyone done this, or do they know if it is possible? If so, does anything
    > special have to be done in the install?

    Here is a copy of the man page for Hastart. Note the -onenode option.

    Name

    hastart - start the VCS server on the local system

    Synopsis

    hastart [-ts]

    hastart [-ts] -stale

    hastart [-ts] -force

    hastart [-ts] -onenode [-port portnum]

    hastart -help

    hastart -version

    Availability

    VRTSvcs

    Description

    The hastart command starts the VCS server and related processes on the
    local system. The VCS server and related processes then
    automatically join the cluster.

    -ts
    This option starts the VCS server as a time-sharing
    process instead of as a real-time process.
    -stale
    This option instructs the engine to treat the local
    configuration as stale even if it is valid.
    -force
    This option instructs the engine to treat a stale, but
    otherwise valid, local configuration as valid.
    -onenode [-port portnum]
    Use this option only to run VCS on a single system on
    which LLT and GAB are not installed. Do not use this option on a
    multisystem cluster.
    If this option is specified, hastart forks off a process called
    GABSIM,
    and the VCS server connects to GABSIM instead of GAB.
    portnum is the number of the port used to connect to the
    GABSIM process if the default port (14143) is not used.
    -version
    This option returns the version level of the software.

    See Also

    hasys(1M) , hastop(1M)

    Table of Contents

    Name
    Synopsis
    Availability
    Description
    See Also

    --
    Bill Borsari

    ** Any opinion expressed is my own and not of my employer **

  5. Re: Is a single node cluster possible?

    Another option for a 1-node cluster is to change /etc/gabtab. Instead of

    /sbin/gabconfig -c -n2

    Use
    /sbin/gabconfig -c -n1

    That says to allow the cluster to come up with 1 node instead of 2 (or however
    many nodes you may have originally).

    Hope this help.
    -Phill

    "Josh S." wrote:

    >If possible, I would like to install a single node cluster for testing purposes.
    > Has anyone done this, or do they know if it is possible? If so, does anything
    >special have to be done in the install?

  6. Re: Is a single node cluster possible?

    It looked like the first post in this thread was after a SINGLE node
    cluster - of one system - not a single node of a cluster ? - maybee i just
    missed the point!?"
    "Phill Coppock" wrote in message

    > Another option for a 1-node cluster is to change /etc/gabtab. Instead of
    >

    > /sbin/gabconfig -c -n2
    >
    > Use
    > /sbin/gabconfig -c -n1
    >
    > That says to allow the cluster to come up with 1 node instead of 2 (or

    however
    > many nodes you may have originally).
    >

    > Hope this help.
    > -Phill
    >

    > "Josh S." wrote:
    > >
    > >If possible, I would like to install a single node cluster for testing

    purposes.
    > > Has anyone done this, or do they know if it is possible? If so, does

    anything
    > >special have to be done in the install?

  7. Re: Is a single node cluster possible?

    one node clustering will be available in the next version of VCS

    "Josh S." wrote:

    > If possible, I would like to install a single node cluster for testing purposes.
    > Has anyone done this, or do they know if it is possible? If so, does anything
    > special have to be done in the install?

    Evrim Tekesin
    Technical Consultant
    GANPRO IT SOLUTIONS
    Alemdag C. Hanimseti S. N: 35 / 37
    81180, Kisikli, Istanbul, TURKIYE

    Phone: (+90) 216-521 3993 (PBX) ext: 116
    Fax: (+90) 216-521 3998
    Email: Evrim.Tekesin@ganpro.com

  8. Re: Is a single node cluster possible?

    Actually, you can do it, its just not easy.

    your gabtab file needs something like..
    /sbin/gabconfig -c -s -n1

    and your llttab sets up a single link over the loopback or
    some other interface.

    As for why? Its good for testing of configuration files, failover behavior
    and most importantly, self written agents.

    -Andrew

    "jonathan" wrote:
    >What testing would you wish to carry out??
    >
    >A single node cluster - would defeat the whole object of a cluster - were

    it
    >possible to do..
    >Which Mickey - correctly point out that you can not do..
    >
    >Yours confused
    >JW
    >"Mickey Friedman" wrote in message
    >> No you can not.
    >>
    >> "Josh S." wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > If possible, I would like to install a single node cluster for testing

    >> purposes.
    >> > Has anyone done this, or do they know if it is possible? If so, does

    >> anything
    >> > special have to be done in the install?

+ Reply to Thread