Adding Oracle Instance - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Adding Oracle Instance - Veritas Cluster Server ; hi, I am having a 2 node cluster running VCS1.3 & solaris2.6, running Oracle Agent with one service group for oracle on primary system. Now i want to add another instance to this VCS cluster on the primary(system A) system.So ...

  1. Adding Oracle Instance

    hi,

    I am having a 2 node cluster running VCS1.3 & solaris2.6, running Oracle
    Agent with one service group for oracle on primary system. Now i want to
    add another instance to
    this VCS cluster on the primary(system A) system.So primary system will be
    running both the oracle instances Can i use
    different Virtual IP(floating one) for the new Service group of the 2nd
    Oracle Instance, i think i should be able to.
    I want to add this new Oracle Instance to this setup without having any
    downtime, for which i thought like:

    1) Create new diskgroup & volume on secondary system
    2) Install Oracle on new Volume which is not under VCS control, test this
    oracle installation
    3) Make a copy of main.cf on primary system, add the service group for the
    2nd Oracle instance
    4) Switch the running service group to secondary system from the primary
    5) Deport the new diskgroup from secondary to the primary & check the new
    oracle instance outside VCS
    6) Switch back the original Oracle service group back to primary from Secondary
    7) Stop VCS on both the systems as hastop all -force
    8) Move the changed main.cf file to main.cf on primary
    9) After this do hastart on primary & then secondary, now the 2nd service
    group for oracle should be online on the primary system

    If you feel there are problems with this approach, please give me an idea.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Adding Oracle Instance

    "Kamal " wrote:

    >hi,
    >
    > I am having a 2 node cluster running VCS1.3 & solaris2.6, running Oracle
    >Agent with one service group for oracle on primary system. Now i want to
    >add another instance to
    >this VCS cluster on the primary(system A) system.So primary system will

    be
    >running both the oracle instances Can i use
    > different Virtual IP(floating one) for the new Service group of the 2nd
    >Oracle Instance, i think i should be able to.
    > I want to add this new Oracle Instance to this setup without having any
    >downtime, for which i thought like:
    >
    > 1) Create new diskgroup & volume on secondary system
    > 2) Install Oracle on new Volume which is not under VCS control, test this
    >oracle installation
    > 3) Make a copy of main.cf on primary system, add the service group for

    the
    >2nd Oracle instance
    > 4) Switch the running service group to secondary system from the primary
    > 5) Deport the new diskgroup from secondary to the primary & check the new
    >oracle instance outside VCS
    > 6) Switch back the original Oracle service group back to primary from Secondary
    > 7) Stop VCS on both the systems as hastop all -force
    > 8) Move the changed main.cf file to main.cf on primary
    > 9) After this do hastart on primary & then secondary, now the 2nd service
    >group for oracle should be online on the primary system
    >
    > If you feel there are problems with this approach, please give me an idea.
    >
    > Thanks

    I have a situation.
    Need to build a 2 node cluster. There are 4 instances of Oracle. All the
    instances sharing the same resources. Is it possible to have 2 instance on
    one box and other 2 on the 2nd box.

+ Reply to Thread