Fabric Switches and T3's with VCS - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Fabric Switches and T3's with VCS - Veritas Cluster Server ; Hi All, has anyone implemented a cluster using a T3 as shared storage with a fabric switch, rather than a fibre hub? Please share the info. I am looking around for a compatible fabric switch to use in a cluster ...

  1. Fabric Switches and T3's with VCS

    Hi All,
    has anyone implemented a cluster using a T3 as shared storage with a fabric
    switch, rather than a fibre hub? Please share the info. I am looking around
    for a compatible fabric switch to use in a cluster server solution using Sun
    StorEdge T3 unit, shared between multiple servers, but I cannot find any
    info on fabric switches compatible with the T3.
    Please help
    Andy

  2. Re: Fabric Switches and T3's with VCS

    Hi,

    You can use the T3 only as an Arbitrated Loop Device. Fabric-Support will
    come in Summer. Sun supports only Sun Labeld Qlogic Switches.

    I will have to implement nearly the same on 2 E10k`s. I would be interested,
    how it worked and what you have done.

    Bye
    Berhnard

    "Andy S Panayiotou" wrote:
    >Hi All,
    >has anyone implemented a cluster using a T3 as shared storage with a fabric
    >switch, rather than a fibre hub? Please share the info. I am looking around
    >for a compatible fabric switch to use in a cluster server solution using

    Sun
    >StorEdge T3 unit, shared between multiple servers, but I cannot find any
    >info on fabric switches compatible with the T3.
    >Please help
    >Andy

  3. Re: Fabric Switches and T3's with VCS

    Thanks for the info.

    I'll let you know how it works out, if it does.
    Andy

    "Bernhard" wrote in message news:3aed78c5$1@hronntp01....

    > Hi,
    >
    > You can use the T3 only as an Arbitrated Loop Device. Fabric-Support will
    > come in Summer. Sun supports only Sun Labeld Qlogic Switches.
    >
    > I will have to implement nearly the same on 2 E10k`s. I would be

    interested,
    > how it worked and what you have done.
    >
    > Bye
    > Berhnard
    >
    > "Andy S Panayiotou" wrote:
    > >Hi All,
    > >has anyone implemented a cluster using a T3 as shared storage with a

    fabric
    > >switch, rather than a fibre hub? Please share the info. I am looking

    around
    > >for a compatible fabric switch to use in a cluster server solution using

    > Sun
    > >StorEdge T3 unit, shared between multiple servers, but I cannot find any
    > >info on fabric switches compatible with the T3.
    > >Please help
    > >Andy

  4. Re: Fabric Switches and T3's with VCS

    We aren't using the T3, but we do have cluster members plugged into our EMC
    connectrix (sp?) switches in two datacenters that are about 3 kilometers
    apart. Haven't had any issues for the 5 months it's been in production.

    -Phill

    "Andy S Panayiotou" wrote:
    >Thanks for the info.
    >
    >I'll let you know how it works out, if it does.
    >Andy
    >

    >"Bernhard" wrote in message news:3aed78c5$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> You can use the T3 only as an Arbitrated Loop Device. Fabric-Support will
    >> come in Summer. Sun supports only Sun Labeld Qlogic Switches.
    >>
    >> I will have to implement nearly the same on 2 E10k`s. I would be

    >interested,
    >> how it worked and what you have done.
    >>
    >> Bye
    >> Berhnard
    >>
    >> "Andy S Panayiotou" wrote:
    >> >Hi All,
    >> >has anyone implemented a cluster using a T3 as shared storage with a

    >fabric
    >> >switch, rather than a fibre hub? Please share the info. I am looking

    >around
    >> >for a compatible fabric switch to use in a cluster server solution using

    >> Sun
    >> >StorEdge T3 unit, shared between multiple servers, but I cannot find

    any
    >> >info on fabric switches compatible with the T3.
    >> >Please help
    >> >Andy

  5. Re: Fabric Switches and T3's with VCS

    All,

    Just for your info. I work for a large Advanced Data Technology Co. in UK,
    and we have the T3's (Currently ES) connected into a brocade switch, shared
    by 2 sun systems - which are not yet - but WILL be VCS clustered. Both
    systems see the same disks - so there is no reasonf for it not to work.

    As for mode - indeed - Loop mode is required.

    Prior to zoning the T3 and Sun off - the W2K, cluster (MSCS) could see the
    T3 and indeed format the disks for use.

    Regards JW
    "Phill Coppock" wrote in message

    > We aren't using the T3, but we do have cluster members plugged into our

    EMC
    > connectrix (sp?) switches in two datacenters that are about 3 kilometers
    > apart. Haven't had any issues for the 5 months it's been in production.
    >
    > -Phill
    >
    > "Andy S Panayiotou" wrote:
    > >Thanks for the info.
    > >
    > >I'll let you know how it works out, if it does.
    > >Andy
    > >

    > >"Bernhard" wrote in message news:3aed78c5$1@hronntp01....
    > >>
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> You can use the T3 only as an Arbitrated Loop Device. Fabric-Support

    will
    > >> come in Summer. Sun supports only Sun Labeld Qlogic Switches.
    > >>
    > >> I will have to implement nearly the same on 2 E10k`s. I would be

    > >interested,
    > >> how it worked and what you have done.
    > >>
    > >> Bye
    > >> Berhnard