Using The "sleep" command in start_up scripts. - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Using The "sleep" command in start_up scripts. - Veritas Cluster Server ; Greetings all, I am having a strange probelm. We are using Veritas VCS on Solaris 2.6 to keep our Oracle environment in an "HA" state. We have a need, when bringing the ConCurrent managers up, to change the host name, ...

  1. Using The "sleep" command in start_up scripts.

    Greetings all,

    I am having a strange probelm. We are using Veritas VCS on Solaris 2.6 to
    keep our Oracle environment in an "HA" state. We have a need, when bringing
    the ConCurrent managers up, to change the host name, sleep 10 seconds and
    then change it back. The script ( ksh or sh) works fine when ran manual from
    a command line, but when VCS runs the script it appears to run the sleep
    command, but does not pause the 10 seconds, it just blows by it. I remember
    that there were issues when using "sleep" in a shell script, but I cannot
    recall them specifically. Please advise !

    Thanks in Advance

    Frank

  2. Re: Using The "sleep" command in start_up scripts.

    We had to write the Multi-proc agent to handle our LDAP process, and had to
    add a sleep in our start scripts between the actual start, and the pass-off
    of the PID file to VCS for process monitoring. There weren't any issues
    with running the start script manually or under VCS.

    -Phill

    "Frank Finnerty" wrote:
    >Greetings all,
    >
    >I am having a strange probelm. We are using Veritas VCS on Solaris 2.6 to
    >keep our Oracle environment in an "HA" state. We have a need, when bringing
    >the ConCurrent managers up, to change the host name, sleep 10 seconds and
    >then change it back. The script ( ksh or sh) works fine when ran manual

    from
    >a command line, but when VCS runs the script it appears to run the sleep
    >command, but does not pause the 10 seconds, it just blows by it. I remember
    >that there were issues when using "sleep" in a shell script, but I cannot
    >recall them specifically. Please advise !
    >
    >Thanks in Advance
    >
    >Frank

  3. Re: Using The "sleep" command in start_up scripts.

    Frank,
    Are you sure that VCS 'blows' by the sleep. If you have printed traces in
    the engine_A.log, VCS will put the stdout in the log when it is done with
    the agent-script.
    If you are not sure, put the following commands around the sleep
    command:

    date
    sleep 10
    date

    Because date echo's to stdout, you will see in the engine_A.log file the
    time before and after the sleep.

    Note that I'm working with sleep commands for along time... there
    aren't problems (but watch out the OnlineTimeout variables!)

    good luck
    Otto

    "Phill Coppock" wrote:

    >We had to write the Multi-proc agent to handle our LDAP process, and had

    >add a sleep in our start scripts between the actual start, and the pass-off
    >of the PID file to VCS for process monitoring. There weren't any issues
    >with running the start script manually or under VCS.
    >
    >-Phill
    >

    >"Frank Finnerty" wrote:
    >>Greetings all,
    >>
    >>I am having a strange probelm. We are using Veritas VCS on Solaris 2.6

    >>keep our Oracle environment in an "HA" state. We have a need, when bringing
    >>the ConCurrent managers up, to change the host name, sleep 10 seconds and
    >>then change it back. The script ( ksh or sh) works fine when ran manual

    >from
    >>a command line, but when VCS runs the script it appears to run the sleep
    >>command, but does not pause the 10 seconds, it just blows by it. I remember
    >>that there were issues when using "sleep" in a shell script, but I cannot
    >>recall them specifically. Please advise !
    >>
    >>Thanks in Advance
    >>
    >>Frank

+ Reply to Thread