Simulating a NIC failure - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Simulating a NIC failure - Veritas Cluster Server ; In solaris 2.7 we need to simulate a NIC failure. We tried ifconfig unplumb and VCS did not pick up the NIC failure we tried to down the virtual ip and interface at almost the same time and VCS performed ...

  1. Simulating a NIC failure

    In solaris 2.7 we need to simulate a NIC failure. We tried ifconfig unplumb
    and VCS did not pick up the NIC failure

    we tried to down the virtual ip and interface at almost the same time and
    VCS performed a fail over as the virtual IP is a critical resource.

    Pulling the network cable simulates a network failure and we have NIC fail
    over.

    Has anyone found a way outside of pulling the NIC to simulate a NIC failure.

  2. Re: Simulating a NIC failure

    If the nic is the critical resource, why not just try bringing the nic down
    (ifconfig qfe0 down)?

  3. Re: Simulating a NIC failure

    We are unable to perform the ficonfig qfe0 down as the virtual IP is sitting
    above it. We get device busy. We therefore do a

    ifconfig qfe0:1 down; ifconfig qfe0 down

    but since VCS picks up the virtual ip down first (critical resource), it
    fails over.
    "krankyd" wrote in message

    > If the nic is the critical resource, why not just try bringing the nic

    down
    > (ifconfig qfe0 down)?

+ Reply to Thread