When does vcs fail over - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on When does vcs fail over - Veritas Cluster Server ; I am in the process of writing a document to test cluster failover at our site. There are a number of things that I am unsure about however. 1). What is split brain and when do you get it 2). ...

  1. When does vcs fail over

    I am in the process of writing a document to test cluster failover at our
    site. There are a number of things that I am unsure about however.
    1). What is split brain and when do you get it
    2). What are the main causes of fail over besides a power fail
    3). Does the halt command cause fail over
    4). What kinds of OS system panic would cause fail over
    5). On a Sun E420R, if the reset button on the front of the box is pressed,
    will this cause fail over

    Regards
    Pete

  2. Re: When does vcs fail over

    Change your field man

    "Peter Jones" wrote:

    >I am in the process of writing a document to test cluster failover at our
    >site. There are a number of things that I am unsure about however.
    >1). What is split brain and when do you get it
    >2). What are the main causes of fail over besides a power fail
    >3). Does the halt command cause fail over
    >4). What kinds of OS system panic would cause fail over
    >5). On a Sun E420R, if the reset button on the front of the box is pressed,
    >will this cause fail over
    >
    >Regards
    >Pete

  3. Re: When does vcs fail over

    I had hoped to get a more helpful answer from this newsgroup!

    "anthony.feigl" wrote:

    >Change your field man
    >
    >"Peter Jones" wrote:
    >>
    >>I am in the process of writing a document to test cluster failover at our
    >>site. There are a number of things that I am unsure about however.
    >>1). What is split brain and when do you get it
    >>2). What are the main causes of fail over besides a power fail
    >>3). Does the halt command cause fail over
    >>4). What kinds of OS system panic would cause fail over
    >>5). On a Sun E420R, if the reset button on the front of the box is pressed,
    >>will this cause fail over
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>Pete

  4. Re: When does vcs fail over

    "Peter Jones" wrote:

    >I am in the process of writing a document to test cluster failover at our
    >site. There are a number of things that I am unsure about however.
    >1). What is split brain and when do you get it
    >2). What are the main causes of fail over besides a power fail
    >3). Does the halt command cause fail over
    >4). What kinds of OS system panic would cause fail over
    >5). On a Sun E420R, if the reset button on the front of the box is pressed,
    >will this cause fail over
    >
    >Regards
    >Pete

  5. Re: When does vcs fail over

    1. if you have a 6 node cluster, and 3 in the cluster loose communication
    with the other three in the cluster, then there might be the possibility that
    you could have two clusters form from that loss of communication. This is
    called spilt brain because each of the "new" clusters thinks that they have
    enough members to continue to provide service. They actually end up walking
    all over each other.

    2. In VCS, you have to provide reasons for the services to fail. For
    example, I have a Database service that I want to keep up. First, I need
    disk, so I will use a disk resource. this disk resource has a monitor, so if
    the disk fails, then a fail over will occur. the same applies for Network and
    Application.

    3. No, because it is not a failure. I will have to test this. This is just
    what I hear.

    4. Ones that affect the monitors that you have set in place.

    5. Yes

    Greg

    Peter Jones wrote:

    > I am in the process of writing a document to test cluster failover at our
    > site. There are a number of things that I am unsure about however.
    > 1). What is split brain and when do you get it
    > 2). What are the main causes of fail over besides a power fail
    > 3). Does the halt command cause fail over
    > 4). What kinds of OS system panic would cause fail over
    > 5). On a Sun E420R, if the reset button on the front of the box is pressed,
    > will this cause fail over
    >
    > Regards
    > Pete

+ Reply to Thread