VCS and Oracle edition requirements? - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on VCS and Oracle edition requirements? - Veritas Cluster Server ; We are considering purchasing an IBM 7133-D40 external disk subsystem to support a failover of a an Oracle Database. Can anyone verify the requirements for this if we are using Solaris 7 and Oracle STANDARD Edition 8.1.5 on a Sun ...

  1. VCS and Oracle edition requirements?

    We are considering purchasing an IBM 7133-D40 external disk subsystem to
    support a failover of a an Oracle Database. Can anyone verify the
    requirements for this if we are using Solaris 7 and Oracle STANDARD
    Edition 8.1.5 on a Sun Enterprise 450?

    I think we need:

    Veritas Volume Manager to have access to the storage
    VCS for failover
    VCS Oracle Agent

    Will this work with Oracle Standard Edition 8.1.5?

    Thanks

  2. Re: VCS and Oracle edition requirements?

    That should work find....
    I would look at purchasing the Database Edition for Oracle

    "Daniel Werder" wrote in message
    > We are considering purchasing an IBM 7133-D40 external disk subsystem to
    > support a failover of a an Oracle Database. Can anyone verify the
    > requirements for this if we are using Solaris 7 and Oracle STANDARD
    > Edition 8.1.5 on a Sun Enterprise 450?
    >
    > I think we need:
    >
    > Veritas Volume Manager to have access to the storage
    > VCS for failover
    > VCS Oracle Agent
    >
    > Will this work with Oracle Standard Edition 8.1.5?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: VCS and Oracle edition requirements?

    Database Edition for Oracle HA, Includes Foundations Suite, Quick I/O, and
    VCS

    ms

    "tim carroll" wrote in message
    > That should work find....
    > I would look at purchasing the Database Edition for Oracle
    >
    > "Daniel Werder" wrote in message
    > > We are considering purchasing an IBM 7133-D40 external disk subsystem to
    > > support a failover of a an Oracle Database. Can anyone verify the
    > > requirements for this if we are using Solaris 7 and Oracle STANDARD
    > > Edition 8.1.5 on a Sun Enterprise 450?
    > >
    > > I think we need:
    > >
    > > Veritas Volume Manager to have access to the storage
    > > VCS for failover
    > > VCS Oracle Agent
    > >
    > > Will this work with Oracle Standard Edition 8.1.5?
    > >
    > > Thanks

  4. Re: VCS and Oracle edition requirements?

    Mike Wrote:
    > Database Edition for Oracle HA, Includes Foundations Suite, Quick I/O,
    > and
    > VCS
    >

    > ms
    >
    > "tim carroll" wrote in message
    > > That should work find....
    > > I would look at purchasing the Database Edition for Oracle
    > >
    > > "Daniel Werder" wrote in message
    > > > We are considering purchasing an IBM 7133-D40 external disk

    > subsystem to
    > > > support a failover of a an Oracle Database. Can anyone verify the
    > > > requirements for this if we are using Solaris 7 and Oracle STANDARD
    > > > Edition 8.1.5 on a Sun Enterprise 450?
    > > >
    > > > I think we need:
    > > >
    > > > Veritas Volume Manager to have access to the storage
    > > > VCS for failover
    > > > VCS Oracle Agent
    > > >
    > > > Will this work with Oracle Standard Edition 8.1.5?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks

    I have a 7133-D40 36GBx16 with four PCI Adv. SerialRaid/X adapters.
    After alot of searching on IBM's site, and Googling for weeks here's
    what I've found regarding Sun + 7133-D40:

    (#4003) SSA Interface Controller Card for Sun SBus
    (For IBM US, No Longer Available as of October 20, 1999)

    The SSA to Sun SBus Interface Controller Card is a high-performance,
    small-form-factor card designed to harness the power and flexibility of
    SSA in supported Sun servers. The Interface Controller Card is
    configured as standard SBus card consisting of a printed circuit board
    and backplate, with two SSA ports, and SBus-SSA logic. The intelligence
    on the board is supplied by a high-performance Intel 80960
    microprocessor. The Interface Controller Card includes a Flash Memory
    Update Utility used to update the adapter flash EEPROM. All
    communications between the host system and the Interface Controller
    Card take place through the SBus interface. Single-cycle transfers
    between the host systems and the Interface Controller Card memory space
    are maintained to provide the best performance available on the SBus
    interface.

    The Interface Controller Card supports SSA80 speeds and achieves peak
    sustainable transfer rates of 35MB/s or up to 3,000 input/output
    commands per second.

    This product supports:

    The Solaris 2.4, 2.5.1 and 2.6 DiskSuite implementation of RAID 0, RAID
    1 and RAID 5. The configuration and diagnostic utilities supported by
    the standard Solaris SCSI implementation. This product complies with
    the following standards:

    SSA UIG95 specification
    IEEE 1496 SBus standard
    The primary components of the Interface Controller Card logic are:

    SBus interface
    i960 microprocessor
    SSA interface chip (SIC)
    RAM/ROM block
    A device driver for Solaris Version 2.4, 2.5.1 and 2.6 comes with the
    adapter.

    An SSA System Service Utility for adapter and drive configuration and
    error analysis is included.

    Key Prerequisites

    The 7133 Models D40 and T40 attach to the following Sun systems:

    Sun SPARCstation 20 running Solaris 2.4 or 2.5.1
    Sun SPARCserver 1000 running Solaris 2.4 or 2.5.1
    Sun SPARCserver 1000E running Solaris 2.4 or 2.5.1
    Sun SPARCcenter 2000 running Solaris 2.4 or 2.5.1
    Sun SPARCcenter 2000E running Solaris 2.4 or 2.5.1
    Sun Ultra Enterprise 2 running Solaris 2.4 or 2.5.1
    An attaching Sun SPARCstation, SPARCserver or SPARCcenter must contain
    the following 7133 feature:

    4003 SSA to Sun SBus Interface Control Card.

    Also::

[...]

    The IBM SSA to SBus Interface Controller Card supports attachment to
    the following machines:

    Sun SPARCstation running Solaris 2.4 or 2.5.1
    Sun SPARCserver 1000 running Solaris 2.4 or 2.5.1
    Sun SPARCserver 1000E running Solaris 2.4 or 2.5.1
    Sun SPARCcenter 2000 running Solaris 2.4 or 2.5.1
    Sun SPARCcenter 2000E running Solaris 2.4 or 2.5.1
    Sun Ultra Enterprise 2 running Solaris 2.5.1
    Sun Ultra Enterprise 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000 running Solaris 2.5.1 or
    2.6. Up to 4 controller cards may be used in Sun Ultra Enterprise 3000,
    4000, 5000, or 6000 running Solaris 2.6. Up to 2 controller cards may be
    used in other supported Sun servers.
    Hardware Requirements

    A Sun SPARCstation 20 with SBus OPEN BOOT BIOS firmware 2.x or above
    A Sun SPARCserver 1000 with SBus OPEN BOOT BIOS firmware 2.x or above
    A Sun SPARCserver 1000E with SBus OPEN BOOT BIOS firmware 2.x or above
    Sun SPARCcenter 2000 with SBus OPEN BOOT BIOS firmware 2.x or above
    Sun SPARCcenter 2000E with SBus OPEN BOOT BIOS firmware 2.x or above
    One 32-bit SBus-type adapter card slot compatible with the p1496 1993
    standard
    An external SSA cable of at most 25 meters
    At least one SSA subsystem with 2 drives, minimum
    Limitations

    The SSA SBus Controller Card will support:

    Sun SPARCstation 20 with 25MZ SBus and Sun CPUs only
    Up to 4 controller cards and up to 48 IBM SSA Ultrastar disk drives
    housed in an IBM 7133 in a single SSA loop
    Up to 3,000 I/O per second
    Solaris operating systems BOOT support not provided by the SSA
    subsystem.

    So far I'm only able to get the SerialRaid/X adapters recognised by
    Windows 2000 (AIX on the RS/6000 of course). No luck with RedHat ES4,
    SuSE ES9, or Sun solaris 10 x86. At issue here is driver support for
    the Adapter and the Management Tools (RSM) to slice, dice, and monitor
    the SSA Shelf. The RS/6000 are junked, I have no non-production Sun for
    lab use, and thought of having to use Windows 2000 gives me the creeps.
    A PC SErver (Proliant) is the easiest HW to go with but the OS support
    just sucks. Next up FreeBSD.

    Your alternative might be a NetAPP shelf with Veritas Volume Manager,
    which I've used in the past on a Sun 250 w/ Solaris 7.

    S.

    --
    snowleopard
    snowleopard's Profile: http://forums.yourdomain.com.au/member.php?userid=38