VCS question - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on VCS question - Veritas Cluster Server ; Hi, I would like to know if it's possible to build a VCS with a single node, then add a second node later? What is involved in planning such project? Thanks! Cheers, Robert...

  1. VCS question

    Hi,

    I would like to know if it's possible to build a VCS with a single node,
    then add a second node later? What is involved in planning such project?
    Thanks!

    Cheers,
    Robert

  2. Re: VCS question

    robert chien wrote:
    >I would like to know if it's possible to build a VCS with a single node,
    >then add a second node later? What is involved in planning such project?

    Robert,

    is is possible but not very useful w/o a second node (obviously).
    We have a single-node 'cluster' for testing and it is just fine. For planning
    with VCS, you probably want to go to class, that's the best advice possible.
    In general, you need something for heartbeats (disk, nic, etc.) and
    to sketh out your resource, resource groups, etc. Like I said, go to class

    cheers,

    Greg Gallagher
    First Optinos Chicago
    UNIX Adminsitrator

  3. Re: VCS question

    I do it before I teach VCS on the instructor's system so
    I can demonstrate the GUI and other features. It is handy for
    testing.

    Setup as normal. Only put one system in the main.cf.

    To get the LLT and GAB working, hook a spare hub to it and have
    it GAB away to nobody.

    Later you can add another system, see hasys command.

    robert chien wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I would like to know if it's possible to build a VCS with a single node,
    >then add a second node later? What is involved in planning such project?
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Robert

  4. Re: VCS question

    One good way of running VCS in single node mode is to
    modify the /etc/rc3.d/S99vcs script so that the hastart
    command runs with the -onenode flag. The -onenode flag
    starts a daemon called gabsim which replaces the LLT and GAB
    layers which ordinarily would require a NIC to bind to.

    The only thing to remember is that gabsim needs to be killed
    and the vcs start scripts reverted if you intend to later add nodes
    as the gabsim daemon can get in the way of some cluster reconfig
    actions, especially those involving node ID changes and LLT changes.

    Devon Ayres
    Kanatek Technologies

    "Gene Henriksen" wrote:

    >I do it before I teach VCS on the instructor's system so
    >I can demonstrate the GUI and other features. It is handy for
    >testing.
    >
    >Setup as normal. Only put one system in the main.cf.
    >
    >To get the LLT and GAB working, hook a spare hub to it and have
    >it GAB away to nobody.
    >
    >Later you can add another system, see hasys command.
    >

    >robert chien wrote:
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I would like to know if it's possible to build a VCS with a single node,
    >>then add a second node later? What is involved in planning such project?
    >>Thanks!
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>Robert

+ Reply to Thread