One-time operations when a group comes up or down - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on One-time operations when a group comes up or down - Veritas Cluster Server ; Not having much luck with Veritas support on this so thought I'd try here. I'm trying to find a way to have actions happen ONCE, when a resource group comes online or offline. They do not need to be monitored ...

  1. One-time operations when a group comes up or down

    Not having much luck with Veritas support on this so thought I'd try
    here. I'm trying to find a way to have actions happen ONCE, when a resource
    group
    comes online or offline. They do not need to be monitored so it doesn't
    at all make sense
    to write an Agent for this. Here's an example of the type of operations
    I might want to do
    when a group comes online (for example):

    - add a static route entry to the server
    - send out a page which says, "Resource Group blah online on `hostname`"
    - install a crontab entry so scheduled processing will happen on the server
    which has the resource group (as opposed to having the
    entry on all the nodes because the data is only in one place..)

    etc. I'm not sure if this makes sense or not. This was easy to do in Firstwatch,
    but that
    was a different concept and I'm baffled as to how I can, basically, have
    a "resource group online" entry point (but NOT monitored... these
    are things that happen and then exit).

    Any suggestions?

    thanks!!

    Greg Gallagher
    First Options of Chicago
    UNIX Systems Administrator

  2. Re: One-time operations when a group comes up or down

    Hello

    You might want to try this to overcome your agent creation problem

    create a monitor script that looks something like this
    if [ -f /tmp/TESTFILE1 ]
    then
    exit 110
    fi

    In your online script you just touch a file
    touch /tmp/TESTFILE1
    + all your configurations changes

    In your offline script
    rm /tmp/TESTFILE1

    Of course you must creat a agent and add it to the cluster, but there won't be a
    problem
    with monitoring
    In your
    Greg Gallagher wrote:

    > Not having much luck with Veritas support on this so thought I'd try
    > here. I'm trying to find a way to have actions happen ONCE, when a resource
    > group
    > comes online or offline. They do not need to be monitored so it doesn't
    > at all make sense
    > to write an Agent for this. Here's an example of the type of operations
    > I might want to do
    > when a group comes online (for example):
    >
    > - add a static route entry to the server
    > - send out a page which says, "Resource Group blah online on `hostname`"
    > - install a crontab entry so scheduled processing will happen on the server
    > which has the resource group (as opposed to having the
    > entry on all the nodes because the data is only in one place..)
    >
    > etc. I'm not sure if this makes sense or not. This was easy to do in Firstwatch,
    > but that
    > was a different concept and I'm baffled as to how I can, basically, have
    > a "resource group online" entry point (but NOT monitored... these
    > are things that happen and then exit).
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > thanks!!
    >
    > Greg Gallagher
    > First Options of Chicago
    > UNIX Systems Administrator

  3. Re: One-time operations when a group comes up or down

    You can create a dependency between resorces within a service
    group. You can add a new resource of type: Process and specify
    the absolute path and args to a executable shell script which executes a

    " route add " command. When the service group comes on line,
    the route statement will be executed as well as monitored.

    I hope this helps

    Jay Holt
    SE Manager
    SSi

    "Greg Gallagher" wrote:

    >Not having much luck with Veritas support on this so thought I'd try
    >here. I'm trying to find a way to have actions happen ONCE, when a resource
    >group
    >comes online or offline. They do not need to be monitored so it doesn't
    >at all make sense
    >to write an Agent for this. Here's an example of the type of operations
    >I might want to do
    >when a group comes online (for example):
    >
    > - add a static route entry to the server
    > - send out a page which says, "Resource Group blah online on `hostname`"
    > - install a crontab entry so scheduled processing will happen on the

    server
    >which has the resource group (as opposed to having the
    > entry on all the nodes because the data is only in one place..)
    >
    >etc. I'm not sure if this makes sense or not. This was easy to do in Firstwatch,
    >but that
    >was a different concept and I'm baffled as to how I can, basically, have
    >a "resource group online" entry point (but NOT monitored... these
    >are things that happen and then exit).
    >
    >Any suggestions?
    >
    >thanks!!
    >
    >Greg Gallagher