IP/NIC configuration - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on IP/NIC configuration - Veritas Cluster Server ; Hi there, I'm testing VCS 1.1.2 on 2 Ultra2's with one quad (not fast) card in each node, using the onboard hme as my maint. interface, and two ports on the quad card for the heartbeats.. I have made a ...

  1. IP/NIC configuration

    Hi there,

    I'm testing VCS 1.1.2 on 2 Ultra2's with one quad (not fast) card in each
    node, using the onboard hme as my maint. interface, and two ports on the
    quad card for the heartbeats..
    I have made a simple service group, with a diskgroup/volume/mount/share with
    depentency in the listed order, the last thing I need is NIC/IP resources,
    but I can't get it to work? I keep getting errors when I try configure these
    resources.
    Could anyone let me see their working main.cf and types.cf files?
    By the way, I'm running Solaris 2.6 (suggested patches + hme kernel patch),
    VxVm 3.0.3, no VxFs.

    Thanks in advance

    Christian.

  2. Re: IP/NIC configuration

    Make sure the interfaces are plumbed and up before time. VCS's IP agent
    is pretty poor, as it only uses virtual interfaces, and worse, assumes the

    interface is plumbed beforetime.

    Greg Gallagher
    UNIX Administrator
    ggallag@foc.com

    "c" wrote:
    >Hi there,
    >
    >I'm testing VCS 1.1.2 on 2 Ultra2's with one quad (not fast) card in each
    >node, using the onboard hme as my maint. interface, and two ports on the
    >quad card for the heartbeats..
    >I have made a simple service group, with a diskgroup/volume/mount/share

    with
    >depentency in the listed order, the last thing I need is NIC/IP resources,
    >but I can't get it to work? I keep getting errors when I try configure these
    >resources.
    >Could anyone let me see their working main.cf and types.cf files?
    >By the way, I'm running Solaris 2.6 (suggested patches + hme kernel patch),
    >VxVm 3.0.3, no VxFs.
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >Christian.

  3. Re: IP/NIC configuration

    When you say the interface needs to be "up" does this also mean
    a IP address of some type needs to assigned to this interface.
    Can't the IP resource set the IP address?

    "Greg Gallagher" wrote:

    >Make sure the interfaces are plumbed and up before time. VCS's IP agent
    >is pretty poor, as it only uses virtual interfaces, and worse, assumes the
    >
    >interface is plumbed beforetime.
    >
    >Greg Gallagher
    >UNIX Administrator
    >ggallag@foc.com
    >
    >"c" wrote:
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>I'm testing VCS 1.1.2 on 2 Ultra2's with one quad (not fast) card in each
    >>node, using the onboard hme as my maint. interface, and two ports on the
    >>quad card for the heartbeats..
    >>I have made a simple service group, with a diskgroup/volume/mount/share

    >with
    >>depentency in the listed order, the last thing I need is NIC/IP resources,
    >>but I can't get it to work? I keep getting errors when I try configure

    these
    >>resources.
    >>Could anyone let me see their working main.cf and types.cf files?
    >>By the way, I'm running Solaris 2.6 (suggested patches + hme kernel patch),
    >>VxVm 3.0.3, no VxFs.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance
    >>
    >>Christian.

  4. Re: IP/NIC configuration

    "Chris Mackey" wrote:
    >When you say the interface needs to be "up" does this also mean
    >a IP address of some type needs to assigned to this interface.
    >Can't the IP resource set the IP address?

    Actually, I'm not sure if it needs to be up or if it matters at all.
    VCS's IP agent will bring up a vif on the interface you assign
    in the config with whatever ip address. VCS's IP agent will NOT
    plumb the interface first, it sadly assumes the interface is plumbed
    before time. This might present a problem if, for some reason the
    interface is down and unplumbed on a box you fail over to it will FAIL
    to bring up the group. Unfortunatly, Veritas engineers didn't stick
    the the philosophy that an agent should really do everything needed
    to bring a resource up and avaiable to the system (within reason, of course
    but I think it was an oversight).

    Greg Gallagher
    UNIX Administrator

  5. Re: IP/NIC configuration

    Make sure to check out how2 configure MULTINICīs, I suspect that it will
    solve your task quite well. And remember a MULTINIC can operate across
    groups and nodes..

    /C
    "Greg Gallagher" wrote in message

    > "Chris Mackey" wrote:
    > >When you say the interface needs to be "up" does this also mean
    > >a IP address of some type needs to assigned to this interface.
    > >Can't the IP resource set the IP address?

    > Actually, I'm not sure if it needs to be up or if it matters at all.
    > VCS's IP agent will bring up a vif on the interface you assign
    > in the config with whatever ip address. VCS's IP agent will NOT
    > plumb the interface first, it sadly assumes the interface is plumbed
    > before time. This might present a problem if, for some reason the
    > interface is down and unplumbed on a box you fail over to it will FAIL
    > to bring up the group. Unfortunatly, Veritas engineers didn't stick
    > the the philosophy that an agent should really do everything needed
    > to bring a resource up and avaiable to the system (within reason, of

    course
    > but I think it was an oversight).
    >
    > Greg Gallagher
    > UNIX Administrator

  6. Re: IP/NIC configuration

    Please see the attached main.cf file.

    Hope this helps.

    john

    c wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I'm testing VCS 1.1.2 on 2 Ultra2's with one quad (not fast) card in each
    > node, using the onboard hme as my maint. interface, and two ports on the
    > quad card for the heartbeats..
    > I have made a simple service group, with a diskgroup/volume/mount/share with
    > depentency in the listed order, the last thing I need is NIC/IP resources,
    > but I can't get it to work? I keep getting errors when I try configure these
    > resources.
    > Could anyone let me see their working main.cf and types.cf files?
    > By the way, I'm running Solaris 2.6 (suggested patches + hme kernel patch),
    > VxVm 3.0.3, no VxFs.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Christian.

+ Reply to Thread