How to shutdown DB from Veritas Cluster Manager? - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on How to shutdown DB from Veritas Cluster Manager? - Veritas Cluster Server ; We are using Veritas Cluster Server 1.1 to manage our production databases (Oracle 8.1.6) on Solaris. We have been shutting down the database using the Cluster Manager UI, right click on the Servic group; select Offline and the current Primary ...

  1. How to shutdown DB from Veritas Cluster Manager?

    We are using Veritas Cluster Server 1.1 to manage our production databases
    (Oracle 8.1.6) on Solaris. We have been shutting down the database using
    the Cluster Manager UI, right click on the Servic group; select Offline and
    the current Primary Server. This step does shutdown the DB, but also un-mounts
    the shared disk arrays from the production servers. When we try to re-mount
    the disks it fails to do so, and after a couple of hours of toiling around
    with the same commands it finally works. No one here knows what causes the
    problems or how it is solved. Is it the way we are shutting down the database?
    Also, what is the correct way to shutdown the DB? Any help would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks
    Vishal

  2. Re: How to shutdown DB from Veritas Cluster Manager?

    How are you trying to re-mount the filesystems?

    If you are using the mount command the diskgroup will have been deported
    so you will have to import the diskgroup and start the volumes before
    you can moun the filesytems.

    You should mount the filesystems by onlining the mount resources
    then if the dependancys are correctly set up they will online the diskgroup
    resource.

    As for shutting down the DB there are two ways you can do this;

    1. Instead of offlining the servicegroup you could offline the
    DB resource. Just check any dependancys on the oracle resource.

    2. You could freeze the service group then take down the DB as you
    would any DB ouside of VCS control. Once you have started the DB up
    again you can unfreeze the servicegroup.

    Hope this helps
    Martin.

    "Vishal Shah" wrote:

    > We are using Veritas Cluster Server 1.1 to manage our production databases
    >(Oracle 8.1.6) on Solaris. We have been shutting down the database using
    >the Cluster Manager UI, right click on the Servic group; select Offline

    and
    >the current Primary Server. This step does shutdown the DB, but also un-mounts
    >the shared disk arrays from the production servers. When we try to re-mount
    >the disks it fails to do so, and after a couple of hours of toiling around
    >with the same commands it finally works. No one here knows what causes the
    >problems or how it is solved. Is it the way we are shutting down the database?
    >Also, what is the correct way to shutdown the DB? Any help would be greatly
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Vishal

  3. Re: How to shutdown DB from Veritas Cluster Manager?

    Thanks will try that.

    "Martin Tombleson" wrote:

    >How are you trying to re-mount the filesystems?
    >
    >If you are using the mount command the diskgroup will have been deported
    >so you will have to import the diskgroup and start the volumes before
    >you can moun the filesytems.
    >
    >You should mount the filesystems by onlining the mount resources
    >then if the dependancys are correctly set up they will online the diskgroup
    >resource.
    >
    >As for shutting down the DB there are two ways you can do this;
    >
    >1. Instead of offlining the servicegroup you could offline the
    >DB resource. Just check any dependancys on the oracle resource.
    >
    >2. You could freeze the service group then take down the DB as you
    >would any DB ouside of VCS control. Once you have started the DB up
    >again you can unfreeze the servicegroup.
    >
    >Hope this helps
    >Martin.
    >
    >"Vishal Shah" wrote:
    >>
    >> We are using Veritas Cluster Server 1.1 to manage our production databases
    >>(Oracle 8.1.6) on Solaris. We have been shutting down the database using
    >>the Cluster Manager UI, right click on the Servic group; select Offline

    >and
    >>the current Primary Server. This step does shutdown the DB, but also un-mounts
    >>the shared disk arrays from the production servers. When we try to re-mount
    >>the disks it fails to do so, and after a couple of hours of toiling around
    >>with the same commands it finally works. No one here knows what causes

    the
    >>problems or how it is solved. Is it the way we are shutting down the database?
    >>Also, what is the correct way to shutdown the DB? Any help would be greatly
    >>appreciated.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Vishal

+ Reply to Thread