Backing up VCS resources with Netbackup - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on Backing up VCS resources with Netbackup - Veritas Cluster Server ; How do you backup your cluster? We are goign to implement a simple two node NFS cluster in a couple weeks. I cannot find any useful info on backing up the cluster resources using Netbackup. Our setup will have one ...

  1. Backing up VCS resources with Netbackup

    How do you backup your cluster?

    We are goign to implement a simple two node NFS cluster in a couple weeks.
    I cannot find any useful info on backing up the cluster resources using Netbackup.
    Our setup will have one NFS resource on each of the two nodes. Since we
    must specify a CLIENT in the bp.conf, how do we handle a failover?
    If the NFS resource fails from one machine to another then wont that
    failed over resource get a FULL backup since it has not been backed up
    on that particular client? Not too bad but we will have 1/2TByte
    resources.

    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Cheers,
    john

  2. Re: Backing up VCS resources with Netbackup

    "John Szakacs" wrote:

    > How do you backup your cluster?
    >
    > We are goign to implement a simple two node NFS cluster in a couple weeks.
    >I cannot find any useful info on backing up the cluster resources using

    Netbackup.
    >Our setup will have one NFS resource on each of the two nodes. Since we
    >must specify a CLIENT in the bp.conf, how do we handle a failover?
    >If the NFS resource fails from one machine to another then wont that
    >failed over resource get a FULL backup since it has not been backed up
    >on that particular client? Not too bad but we will have 1/2TByte
    >resources.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any help.
    >Cheers,
    >john

    John,

    I have the same problem.
    My workaround is based on the fact that the virtual IP and the storage (VM
    disk group)
    are allways on the same node.
    I configure a new netbackup client that point to the service group IP. In
    this case
    the backup will be with this client regardless in which node it is running.
    The problem is that the CLIENT_NAME entry in bp.conf on the client is only
    one entry.
    If the client name is the virtual IP then will be a problem to backup the
    local disks.
    I make a test and the CLIENT_NAME in bp.conf has no effect weather i backup
    with
    the maint IP or virtual IP.
    The only restriction is that you cannot backup simmultaneoslly both nodes
    ( virtual node and maint IP node because you have only one binary client
    inst and the client
    cannot act as two diff clients in the same time.

    If you know about a better solution to backup a VCS cluster with Netbackup
    --PLEASE
    LET ME KNOW

  3. Re: Backing up VCS resources with Netbackup

    Pablo Horenstein wrote:

    > "John Szakacs" wrote:
    > >
    > > How do you backup your cluster?
    > >
    > > We are goign to implement a simple two node NFS cluster in a couple weeks.
    > >I cannot find any useful info on backing up the cluster resources using

    > Netbackup.
    > >Our setup will have one NFS resource on each of the two nodes. Since we
    > >must specify a CLIENT in the bp.conf, how do we handle a failover?
    > >If the NFS resource fails from one machine to another then wont that
    > >failed over resource get a FULL backup since it has not been backed up
    > >on that particular client? Not too bad but we will have 1/2TByte
    > >resources.
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance for any help.
    > >Cheers,
    > >john

    > John,
    >
    > I have the same problem.
    > My workaround is based on the fact that the virtual IP and the storage (VM
    > disk group)
    > are allways on the same node.
    > I configure a new netbackup client that point to the service group IP. In
    > this case
    > the backup will be with this client regardless in which node it is running.
    > The problem is that the CLIENT_NAME entry in bp.conf on the client is only
    > one entry.
    > If the client name is the virtual IP then will be a problem to backup the
    > local disks.
    > I make a test and the CLIENT_NAME in bp.conf has no effect weather i backup
    > with
    > the maint IP or virtual IP.
    > The only restriction is that you cannot backup simmultaneoslly both nodes
    > ( virtual node and maint IP node because you have only one binary client
    > inst and the client
    > cannot act as two diff clients in the same time.
    >
    > If you know about a better solution to backup a VCS cluster with Netbackup
    > --PLEASE
    > LET ME KNOW

    HI
    Don't bother to think about cluster config in your NetBackup configuration

    Just backu the nodes with a class with only the Cluster filesystems configured.
    If you want to use NetBackup to take down a database ore likewise you can use
    the scripting facility
    in NetBackup to check if the node own the cluster group
    example:
    SYSTEM=`hastat -summary | grep Oracle| grep `uname -n`
    if ( $SYSTEM != 0 );then
    hagrp -freeze Oracle -sys `uname -n`
    fi

    If this isn't aplicable then the NetBackup will backup only the mount points if
    the group is
    currently on the other machine

    You can do a restore from node1 to node 2 if you want to

    Regards Patrik

  4. Re: Backing up VCS resources with Netbackup

    Hi,

    You will need to install netbackup on your shared disk using a vitrual IP
    and virtual name in the event that hte server fails over and requires the

    You must create a link for the /usr/openv/netbackup default with your new
    location inorder for the media to be available unpon failover.

    Patrik Linder wrote:

> [...]

    >> LET ME KNOW

    >HI
    >Don't bother to think about cluster config in your NetBackup configuration
    >
    >Just backu the nodes with a class with only the Cluster filesystems configured.
    >If you want to use NetBackup to take down a database ore likewise you can

    use
    >the scripting facility
    >in NetBackup to check if the node own the cluster group
    >example:
    >SYSTEM=`hastat -summary | grep Oracle| grep `uname -n`
    >if ( $SYSTEM != 0 );then
    >hagrp -freeze Oracle -sys `uname -n`
    >fi
    >
    >If this isn't aplicable then the NetBackup will backup only the mount points

    if
    >the group is
    >currently on the other machine
    >
    >You can do a restore from node1 to node 2 if you want to

    Dimension
    >AB
    >adr:;;Mölndalsvägen 85 ;Gothenburg;;412 85;Sweden
    >version:2.1
    >email;internetatrik.linder@gbg.dimension.se
    >title:Consultant
    >x-mozilla-cpt:;31720