questions about Veritas Cluster, Oracle databases and fail over... - Veritas Cluster Server

This is a discussion on questions about Veritas Cluster, Oracle databases and fail over... - Veritas Cluster Server ; I was given the task of installing and supporting the following environment: 2 Sun Solaris 2.6 E4500 servers. ServerA & ServerB 2 Oracle Databases (databaseA running Oracle 7.3) (databaseb running Oracle 8.1.5) Using VCS, VM and Veritas Oracle Edition (if ...

  1. questions about Veritas Cluster, Oracle databases and fail over...

    I was given the task of installing and supporting the following
    environment:
    2 Sun Solaris 2.6 E4500 servers. ServerA & ServerB
    2 Oracle Databases (databaseA running Oracle 7.3)
    (databaseb running Oracle 8.1.5)

    Using VCS, VM and Veritas Oracle Edition (if necessary)
    The company like to have both E4500 running with one database
    each, when either E4500 has any problems to fail over to the
    second machine (meaning failing over ServerA to ServerB or
    ServerB over to ServerA) and making both database to be usable
    no matter which machine is up or if both are up.
    If I understand correctly, VCS works with a primary and secondary
    kind of process (master & slave) and I could not have two
    primary machines failing over to each other, if this IS possible
    will I have the software take care of the Oracle database and if
    so do I need Veritas Oracle Editions (and what for).
    Best regards, Carlos R. Jimenez. Sr. Oracle DBA.
    PS: Any comments or help will be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: questions about Veritas Cluster, Oracle databases and fail over...

    VCS Database Edition HA/VCS is the choice for your environment.
    the current version is 2.1. This will handle the shutdown/startup
    of oracle DB in either servers whilst fault. Get in touch in case
    of more questions.
    kalyan.S.N

    "Carlos R. Jimenez" wrote:

    >I was given the task of installing and supporting the following
    >environment:
    > 2 Sun Solaris 2.6 E4500 servers. ServerA & ServerB
    > 2 Oracle Databases (databaseA running Oracle 7.3)
    > (databaseb running Oracle 8.1.5)
    >
    >Using VCS, VM and Veritas Oracle Edition (if necessary)
    >The company like to have both E4500 running with one database
    >each, when either E4500 has any problems to fail over to the
    >second machine (meaning failing over ServerA to ServerB or
    >ServerB over to ServerA) and making both database to be usable
    >no matter which machine is up or if both are up.
    >If I understand correctly, VCS works with a primary and secondary
    >kind of process (master & slave) and I could not have two
    >primary machines failing over to each other, if this IS possible
    >will I have the software take care of the Oracle database and if
    >so do I need Veritas Oracle Editions (and what for).
    > Best regards, Carlos R. Jimenez. Sr. Oracle DBA.
    >PS: Any comments or help will be greatly appreciated.

  3. Re: questions about Veritas Cluster, Oracle databases and fail over...

    Q - "If I understand correctly, VCS works with a primary and secondary"

    A - VCS does not work this way - FirstWatch does. There is a part of the
    main.cf file that is used to define the members of the cluster and if they
    can start the group. This can be up to 32 nodes, why someone would want 32
    is still a mistery! The order is the order in which they will try to start
    oracle01 then oracle02.

    group oracle (
    SystemList = { oracle01, oracle02 }
    AutoStartList = { oracle01, oracle02 }
    )

    Q - > "2 Oracle Databases (databaseA running Oracle 7.3)
    (databaseb running Oracle 8.1.5)"
    "making both database to be usable no matter which
    machine is up or if both are up."

    A - The quick and fast way to do this is to create two groups and make sure
    that all the oracle apps and databases are different disk groups, mount points,
    SIDs, and Lisners. Veritas sells a Oracle agent that works, but for some
    lame reson made it a binery. This may stop you from modifing for your enviroment.
    It will work in most cases just as it is.

    NOTE: When working with Oracle make the IP as low on the depenancy tree as
    posible. This will fault the fastest and not get two copies of Oracle running
    at the same time because it will fault before tring to bring up the database.
    I know that it is not a 100 percent but hay....

    Mike
    Integratus, Inc.

    "Carlos R. Jimenez" wrote:

    >I was given the task of installing and supporting the following
    >environment:
    > 2 Sun Solaris 2.6 E4500 servers. ServerA & ServerB
    > 2 Oracle Databases (databaseA running Oracle 7.3)
    > (databaseb running Oracle 8.1.5)
    >
    >Using VCS, VM and Veritas Oracle Edition (if necessary)
    >The company like to have both E4500 running with one database
    >each, when either E4500 has any problems to fail over to the
    >second machine (meaning failing over ServerA to ServerB or
    >ServerB over to ServerA) and making both database to be usable
    >no matter which machine is up or if both are up.
    >If I understand correctly, VCS works with a primary and secondary
    >kind of process (master & slave) and I could not have two
    >primary machines failing over to each other, if this IS possible
    >will I have the software take care of the Oracle database and if
    >so do I need Veritas Oracle Editions (and what for).
    > Best regards, Carlos R. Jimenez. Sr. Oracle DBA.
    >PS: Any comments or help will be greatly appreciated.

  4. Re: questions about Veritas Cluster, Oracle databases and fail over...

    VCS is peer to peer, you can accomplish your mission.
    You will need the Oracle agent to fail over the DB.
    Oracle Edition, or Oracle Edition for VCS?
    The first is a combination of VxFS (file system), VxVM(Volume Manager),
    Quick I/O(Oracle performance enhancements)

    MikeS

    "Carlos R. Jimenez" wrote in message

    > I was given the task of installing and supporting the following
    > environment:
    > 2 Sun Solaris 2.6 E4500 servers. ServerA & ServerB
    > 2 Oracle Databases (databaseA running Oracle 7.3)
    > (databaseb running Oracle 8.1.5)
    >
    > Using VCS, VM and Veritas Oracle Edition (if necessary)
    > The company like to have both E4500 running with one database
    > each, when either E4500 has any problems to fail over to the
    > second machine (meaning failing over ServerA to ServerB or
    > ServerB over to ServerA) and making both database to be usable
    > no matter which machine is up or if both are up.
    > If I understand correctly, VCS works with a primary and secondary
    > kind of process (master & slave) and I could not have two
    > primary machines failing over to each other, if this IS possible
    > will I have the software take care of the Oracle database and if
    > so do I need Veritas Oracle Editions (and what for).
    > Best regards, Carlos R. Jimenez. Sr. Oracle DBA.
    > PS: Any comments or help will be greatly appreciated.

  5. Re: questions about Veritas Cluster, Oracle databases and fail over...

    "Carlos R. Jimenez" wrote:

    >I was given the task of installing and supporting the following
    >environment:
    > 2 Sun Solaris 2.6 E4500 servers. ServerA & ServerB
    > 2 Oracle Databases (databaseA running Oracle 7.3)
    > (databaseb running Oracle 8.1.5)
    >
    >Using VCS, VM and Veritas Oracle Edition (if necessary)
    >The company like to have both E4500 running with one database
    >each, when either E4500 has any problems to fail over to the
    >second machine (meaning failing over ServerA to ServerB or
    >ServerB over to ServerA) and making both database to be usable
    >no matter which machine is up or if both are up.
    >If I understand correctly, VCS works with a primary and secondary
    >kind of process (master & slave) and I could not have two
    >primary machines failing over to each other, if this IS possible
    >will I have the software take care of the Oracle database and if
    >so do I need Veritas Oracle Editions (and what for).
    > Best regards, Carlos R. Jimenez. Sr. Oracle DBA.
    >PS: Any comments or help will be greatly appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread