Server Freeze after 2nd tape use - please help - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Server Freeze after 2nd tape use - please help - Veritas Backup Exec ; Having a major problem with backup server "freezing" completely with no abend - server loses network connection and no way to toggle screens. Server configuration has worked for past 2 years with no changes prior to issue. Steps to duplicate: ...

  1. Server Freeze after 2nd tape use - please help

    Having a major problem with backup server "freezing" completely with no abend
    - server loses network connection and no way to toggle screens. Server configuration
    has worked for past 2 years with no changes prior to issue.

    Steps to duplicate:

    1. Run either a tape backup or simply a tape inventory. Runs to completion
    with no issue first time even if it is a 6 hour backup process.
    2. Remove tapes, add different tapes. Run either a tape backup or tape inventory
    and server "freezes" within 1 minute. Hard reset required.

    Specs below. Any help greatly appreciated.

    Steve

    Backup Exec for Netware v9.20 Revision 1401.
    Netware 6.5 sp7 and many of the post sp7 patches.
    Dell Powervault 124T (Recently replaced by Dell under warranty but still
    same issue)
    Dell server with Adaptec 39160, Ultra 160 SCSI

  2. Re: Server Freeze after 2nd tape use - please help

    My initial guess is that it's a SCSI problem. Since you've already
    replaced the drive, you can try swapping out other components such as
    controller, cable, terminator. Also try refreshing/updating the SCSI
    driver.

    -Barry.

  3. Re: Server Freeze after 2nd tape use - please help

    Tried exactly everything you mentioned. Just replaced SCSI card, cables, terminator
    with new. Current drivers. All of this following your response, but still
    having the issue.

    Any other thoughts? I think I've tried everything short of rebuilding server
    from scratch - but afraid that problem will still be present even if I do
    that.

    Are there any bios changes on the scsi card that would be recommended? Or
    any other items to try?

    Thank you,
    Steve

  4. Re: Server Freeze after 2nd tape use - please help

    I'm assuming the tape drive is on its own SCSI channel? That is, it's
    not on the same chain with a disk drive, right?

    Check in C:\NWSERVER\DRIVERS for NWTAPE.CDM. Delete or rename that
    file, if it exists.

    Make sure you don't have any other modules loaded that might interfere
    with BECDM.CDM, such as SCSI2TP.

    And that's an active terminator you've got there, right? A passive
    terminator won't do.

    I can't think of anything on the SCSI adapter itself you would need to
    change. As long as the tape drive is the only device on it, the
    defaults should be OK. You could try disabling the BIOS since the tape
    drive isn't a bootable device. I don't remember exactly what is says
    in the Ctrl+A menu -- something about enabling or installing the BIOS.

    Just a shot in the dark there...

    -Barry.

+ Reply to Thread