Backup Exec v9 -> v9.1 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup Exec v9 -> v9.1 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm going to be upgrading several servers from BENT v9.0 -> v9.1/SP1 w/Hotfixes (single media server/multiple remote servers inc. Exchange 2K & MS SQL 2K). Should I uninstall the remote agents from the servers and then push out the v9.1 ...

  1. Backup Exec v9 -> v9.1

    I'm going to be upgrading several servers from BENT v9.0 -> v9.1/SP1
    w/Hotfixes (single media server/multiple remote servers inc. Exchange 2K
    & MS SQL 2K). Should I uninstall the remote agents from the servers and
    then push out the v9.1 agent, or will the 'upgrade' actually work when I
    push out the v9.1 agent and the server has an existing v9.0 agent installed?

    Thanks.

    John

  2. Re: Backup Exec v9 -> v9.1

    John wrote:

    > I'm going to be upgrading several servers from BENT v9.0 -> v9.1/SP1
    > w/Hotfixes (single media server/multiple remote servers inc. Exchange 2K
    > & MS SQL 2K). Should I uninstall the remote agents from the servers and
    > then push out the v9.1 agent, or will the 'upgrade' actually work when I
    > push out the v9.1 agent and the server has an existing v9.0 agent
    > installed?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > John

    It has been my experience that you can push out the v9.1 agent on top of
    the existing v9.0 agent.

  3. Re: Backup Exec v9 -> v9.1

    John wrote:

    >I'm going to be upgrading several servers from BENT v9.0 -> v9.1/SP1
    >w/Hotfixes (single media server/multiple remote servers inc. Exchange 2K
    >& MS SQL 2K). Should I uninstall the remote agents from the servers and
    >then push out the v9.1 agent, or will the 'upgrade' actually work when I
    >push out the v9.1 agent and the server has an existing v9.0 agent installed?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >John

    It will not update automatically. Also note that you have several
    (many really) updates to apply even after sp1 before you are totally
    updated. You should NOT update the remove servers until after all of
    those have been done as several of them update the agent directory
    with new files that would have to be updated manually otherwise.

+ Reply to Thread