Backup Exec 8.6 Failed on MS SQL Database Backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup Exec 8.6 Failed on MS SQL Database Backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, Everything has been running great with our setup for quite some time until here in the last few days. We're running on Windows 2000 with Backup Exec 8.6. Typical we backup or SQL Databases nightly and most seem to ...

  1. Backup Exec 8.6 Failed on MS SQL Database Backup

    Hello,
    Everything has been running great with our setup for quite some time until
    here in the last few days. We're running on
    Windows 2000 with Backup Exec 8.6. Typical we backup or SQL Databases
    nightly and most seem to be doing fine, however the last few nights with a
    certain database I
    am receiving this error in the log file:

    An error occurred on a query to database plat.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Backup, CHECKALLOC, bulk copy, SELECT INTO, and file manipulation (such as
    CREATE FILE) operations on a database must be serialized. Reissue the
    statement after the current backup, CHECKALLOC, or file manipulation
    operation is completed.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to open the item plat - skipped.

    Any ideas on this, didn't find much on the Veritas site.

    Thank you,
    Raun

  2. Re: Backup Exec 8.6 Failed on MS SQL Database Backup

    Raun Williams wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Everything has been running great with our setup for quite some time until
    > here in the last few days. We're running on
    > Windows 2000 with Backup Exec 8.6. Typical we backup or SQL Databases
    > nightly and most seem to be doing fine, however the last few nights with a
    > certain database I
    > am receiving this error in the log file:
    >

    > An error occurred on a query to database plat.
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > Backup, CHECKALLOC, bulk copy, SELECT INTO, and file manipulation (such as
    > CREATE FILE) operations on a database must be serialized. Reissue the
    > statement after the current backup, CHECKALLOC, or file manipulation
    > operation is completed.
    >
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > Unable to open the item plat - skipped.
    >

    > Any ideas on this, didn't find much on the Veritas site.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Raun

    Do you have a scheduled database maintenance job for that db?
    Can you access it OK in other ways?
    Have you run a manual DBCC?

  3. Re: Backup Exec 8.6 Failed on MS SQL Database Backup

    I've looked at our scheduled tasks for this Database and nothing is going
    during the backup time, and we can also access this DB just fine as it is
    considered one of main ones.
    I have not ran a manual DBCC at this point, although I don't know why
    anything would have changed in the last few days. The one document I did
    find on Veritas showed how to login to the server as the backup exec account
    and test it through Enterprise Manager.. however in our situation that is a
    bit hard to do. I will be attempting this via something else, but we'll
    have to see what happens with. Anything else that can be going on in the
    mean time?
    Thank you,
    Raun

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > Raun Williams wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > Everything has been running great with our setup for quite some time

    until
    > > here in the last few days. We're running on
    > > Windows 2000 with Backup Exec 8.6. Typical we backup or SQL Databases
    > > nightly and most seem to be doing fine, however the last few nights with

    > > certain database I
    > > am receiving this error in the log file:
    > >

    > > An error occurred on a query to database plat.
    > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > Backup, CHECKALLOC, bulk copy, SELECT INTO, and file manipulation (such

    as
    > > CREATE FILE) operations on a database must be serialized. Reissue the
    > > statement after the current backup, CHECKALLOC, or file manipulation
    > > operation is completed.
    > >
    > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > Unable to open the item plat - skipped.
    > >

    > > Any ideas on this, didn't find much on the Veritas site.
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > > Raun
    > >

    > Do you have a scheduled database maintenance job for that db?
    > Can you access it OK in other ways?
    > Have you run a manual DBCC?

  4. Re: Backup Exec 8.6 Failed on MS SQL Database Backup

    Ok,
    I've rand teh DBCC test and it's fine. What else could be going on with
    Backup Exec, it failed again last night on this database.

    "Raun Williams" wrote in message
    > I've looked at our scheduled tasks for this Database and nothing is going
    > during the backup time, and we can also access this DB just fine as it is
    > considered one of main ones.
    > I have not ran a manual DBCC at this point, although I don't know why
    > anything would have changed in the last few days. The one document I did
    > find on Veritas showed how to login to the server as the backup exec

    account
    > and test it through Enterprise Manager.. however in our situation that is

    > bit hard to do. I will be attempting this via something else, but we'll
    > have to see what happens with. Anything else that can be going on in the
    > mean time?
    > Thank you,
    > Raun
    >
    > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > > Raun Williams wrote:
    > > > Hello,
    > > > Everything has been running great with our setup for quite some time

    > until
    > > > here in the last few days. We're running on
    > > > Windows 2000 with Backup Exec 8.6. Typical we backup or SQL Databases
    > > > nightly and most seem to be doing fine, however the last few nights

    with
    > > > certain database I
    > > > am receiving this error in the log file:
    > > >

    > > > An error occurred on a query to database plat.
    > > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > > Backup, CHECKALLOC, bulk copy, SELECT INTO, and file manipulation

    (such
    > as
    > > > CREATE FILE) operations on a database must be serialized. Reissue the
    > > > statement after the current backup, CHECKALLOC, or file manipulation
    > > > operation is completed.
    > > >
    > > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > > Unable to open the item plat - skipped.
    > > >

    > > > Any ideas on this, didn't find much on the Veritas site.
    > > >
    > > > Thank you,
    > > > Raun
    > > >

    > > Do you have a scheduled database maintenance job for that db?
    > > Can you access it OK in other ways?
    > > Have you run a manual DBCC?

  5. Re: Backup Exec 8.6 Failed on MS SQL Database Backup

    Ok. I'm not sure why I didn't check this to begin with...
    But, I edited my Jobs and when I went to select the SQL Databases to see
    what it said, it wanted me to enter the correct user/pass. Now it had in
    there what it should have been already. I re-entered it, refused the
    connection. Over and over.

    No one else but me deals with the backups, at all. The username and
    password is working fine. I can log into a workstation with it if I want. I
    did the DBCC test with this user/pass and it was fine. Why is Backup Exec
    telling me it's incorrect and won't let me access the DB with it?

    Thank you,
    Raun
    > Ok,
    > I've rand teh DBCC test and it's fine. What else could be going on with
    > Backup Exec, it failed again last night on this database.
    >

    > "Raun Williams" wrote in message
    > > I've looked at our scheduled tasks for this Database and nothing is

    going
    > > during the backup time, and we can also access this DB just fine as it

    is
    > > considered one of main ones.
    > > I have not ran a manual DBCC at this point, although I don't know why
    > > anything would have changed in the last few days. The one document I

    did
    > > find on Veritas showed how to login to the server as the backup exec

    > account
    > > and test it through Enterprise Manager.. however in our situation that

    is
    > > bit hard to do. I will be attempting this via something else, but we'll
    > > have to see what happens with. Anything else that can be going on in

    the
    > > mean time?
    > > Thank you,
    > > Raun
    > >
    > > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > > until

    Databases

    > with

    > (such
    > > as

    the

    > > > Do you have a scheduled database maintenance job for that db?
    > > > Can you access it OK in other ways?
    > > > Have you run a manual DBCC?

  6. Re: Backup Exec 8.6 Failed on MS SQL Database Backup

    Raun Williams wrote:
    > Ok,
    > I've rand teh DBCC test and it's fine. What else could be going on with
    > Backup Exec, it failed again last night on this database.
    >

    > "Raun Williams" wrote in message
    >
    >>I've looked at our scheduled tasks for this Database and nothing is going
    >>during the backup time, and we can also access this DB just fine as it is
    >>considered one of main ones.
    >>I have not ran a manual DBCC at this point, although I don't know why
    >>anything would have changed in the last few days. The one document I did
    >>find on Veritas showed how to login to the server as the backup exec

    > account
    >
    >>and test it through Enterprise Manager.. however in our situation that is

    >>bit hard to do. I will be attempting this via something else, but we'll
    >>have to see what happens with. Anything else that can be going on in the
    >>mean time?
    >>Thank you,
    >>Raun
    >>
    >>"Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    >>until

    > with

    > (such
    >
    >>as

    >>>Do you have a scheduled database maintenance job for that db?
    >>>Can you access it OK in other ways?
    >>>Have you run a manual DBCC?

    Hmm

    from enterprise manager, what is the status of that database?

+ Reply to Thread