can not erase or prepare 2nd tape without canceling the current backup process - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on can not erase or prepare 2nd tape without canceling the current backup process - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am still using old Exabyte 8505 that has 5 gig capacity. So, I need few tapes in order to backup my data (about 20 gigs). So far, I was not able to backup all 20 gigs continuosly on multiple ...

  1. can not erase or prepare 2nd tape without canceling the current backup process

    I am still using old Exabyte 8505 that has 5 gig capacity. So, I need few
    tapes in order to backup my data (about 20 gigs). So far, I was not able
    to backup all 20 gigs continuosly on multiple tapes. When one tape maxes
    out, the Exabyte ejects the first tape, I insert the second tape and the
    alert says that the 2nd tape I just inserted is not recognizable media.
    So, I tried to use quick erase or long erase however, before I even run erase
    process, the tape device ejects the new tape. I have tried on multiple exbyte
    tapes including new exabyte tapes.

    Is it possible to have B.E. do backups continuously across multiple tapes?

    Thanks,
    Joseph

  2. Re: can not erase or prepare 2nd tape without canceling the currentbackup process

    Joseph wrote:
    > I am still using old Exabyte 8505 that has 5 gig capacity. So, I need few
    > tapes in order to backup my data (about 20 gigs). So far, I was not able
    > to backup all 20 gigs continuosly on multiple tapes. When one tape maxes
    > out, the Exabyte ejects the first tape, I insert the second tape and the
    > alert says that the 2nd tape I just inserted is not recognizable media.
    > So, I tried to use quick erase or long erase however, before I even run erase
    > process, the tape device ejects the new tape. I have tried on multiple exbyte
    > tapes including new exabyte tapes.
    >
    > Is it possible to have B.E. do backups continuously across multiple tapes?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Joseph

    Certainly

    You say that you tried both quick and long erase? This is before the
    job runs, not during the job, right?

    before the job starts, you should be able to label a new tape, or
    quick-erease a previuously used tape. After the operation, the label
    information should show in blue, meaning that the tape is available for
    overwrite. Then during the job, just give it one if these blue tapes,
    and things should go fine

+ Reply to Thread