Tape change before full? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Tape change before full? - Veritas Backup Exec ; We have Backup Exec 8.6 with an LTO Autoloader. Recently, after installing new drivers for the autoloader, BackupExec only seems to back up 40GB per tape. I think, but am not sure, that it may be using one tape per ...

  1. Tape change before full?

    We have Backup Exec 8.6 with an LTO Autoloader. Recently, after installing
    new drivers for the autoloader, BackupExec only seems to back up 40GB per
    tape. I think, but am not sure, that it may be using one tape per drive
    backed up. The logs look normal, hardware compression is enabled, but tapes
    are changing sooner than they should and our backups fail stating that the
    media we've provided to continue the backup has already been used for the
    backup job. Any help is greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: Tape change before full?

    Chris Mathis wrote:
    > We have Backup Exec 8.6 with an LTO Autoloader. Recently, after installing
    > new drivers for the autoloader, BackupExec only seems to back up 40GB per
    > tape. I think, but am not sure, that it may be using one tape per drive
    > backed up. The logs look normal, hardware compression is enabled, but tapes
    > are changing sooner than they should and our backups fail stating that the
    > media we've provided to continue the backup has already been used for the
    > backup job. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    That message means that the tape provided in response to a Mount request
    has already been used by this job. In a loader, it is usually seen when
    the slots are partitioned.

    if this stared after chaning drivers, have you tried reloading the older
    ones?

  3. Re: Tape change before full?

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Chris Mathis wrote:
    >> We have Backup Exec 8.6 with an LTO Autoloader. Recently, after installing
    >> new drivers for the autoloader, BackupExec only seems to back up 40GB

    per
    >> tape. I think, but am not sure, that it may be using one tape per drive
    >> backed up. The logs look normal, hardware compression is enabled, but

    tapes
    >> are changing sooner than they should and our backups fail stating that

    the
    >> media we've provided to continue the backup has already been used for

    the
    >> backup job. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    >That message means that the tape provided in response to a Mount request

    >has already been used by this job. In a loader, it is usually seen when

    >the slots are partitioned.
    >
    >if this stared after chaning drivers, have you tried reloading the older

    >ones?

    We've tried multiple drivers, including the original ones we were using.
    The alerts, my observations, and the job log all show all three tapes being
    pulled and utilized. We've installed version 9 to try and pin down the issue.
    I'm still working dilligently on this one.

+ Reply to Thread