Backing Up Windows 98 Workstations - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backing Up Windows 98 Workstations - Veritas Backup Exec ; I've got the BE 9.1 for Small Business Server and am trying to backup one of the old archaic windows 98 workstations. I've got it to work with my Windows XP machines, so I know those work fine. I've installed ...

  1. Backing Up Windows 98 Workstations

    I've got the BE 9.1 for Small Business Server and am trying to backup one
    of the old archaic windows 98 workstations. I've got it to work with my
    Windows XP machines, so I know those work fine.

    I've installed the 98 remote agent as described in the manual and set it
    up to connect via TCI/IP (we don't use IPX on our network, nor do I want
    to enable it). All the settings are correct and I've published the C: drive.
    The workstation even shows the little agent, which is "idling" at the moment.

    So how do I backup the workstation? If I try to go to the computer via the
    backup job properties screen, it gives me the "you have must have a remote
    agent for windows server running on windows 2000 or later...etc" error message.
    Is BE 9.1 not able to backup 98 machines anymore? or is there something
    I'm missing or supposed to do from the console?

    Interestingly, if I conduct a public share on the computer (through the
    normal windows share), I can backup all the files. Any ideas?

  2. Re: Backing Up Windows 98 Workstations

    Make sure when you open the backup job, that you are selecting the Win98
    computer from the Win98/ME agents section of the tree, and NOT the
    Microsoft Windows Network | Domain section. I did the same thing because
    (at least for me), the Microsoft Windows Network section was expanded
    when I went into selections, so I didn't see the special section.

    John

    Admin wrote:
    > I've got the BE 9.1 for Small Business Server and am trying to backup one
    > of the old archaic windows 98 workstations. I've got it to work with my
    > Windows XP machines, so I know those work fine.
    >
    > I've installed the 98 remote agent as described in the manual and set it
    > up to connect via TCI/IP (we don't use IPX on our network, nor do I want
    > to enable it). All the settings are correct and I've published the C: drive.
    > The workstation even shows the little agent, which is "idling" at the moment.
    >
    > So how do I backup the workstation? If I try to go to the computer via the
    > backup job properties screen, it gives me the "you have must have a remote
    > agent for windows server running on windows 2000 or later...etc" error message.
    > Is BE 9.1 not able to backup 98 machines anymore? or is there something
    > I'm missing or supposed to do from the console?
    >
    > Interestingly, if I conduct a public share on the computer (through the
    > normal windows share), I can backup all the files. Any ideas?

+ Reply to Thread