BE 9.1 Time Window - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 9.1 Time Window - Veritas Backup Exec ; I was wondering if anyone has found a way to turn off the scheduler Time Window function. I would really rather that it worked like it does in 8.6. If I schedule a job to run, I want it to ...

  1. BE 9.1 Time Window

    I was wondering if anyone has found a way to turn off the scheduler
    Time Window function. I would really rather that it worked like it
    does in 8.6. If I schedule a job to run, I want it to run regardless
    if it has to run late because some other job ran long.

    For instance, last night my tape cleaning job didn't run because the
    user-systems backup job ran 4 hours longer than usual.

    Thanks,

    Greg

  2. Re: BE 9.1 Time Window

    Greg Huntzinger wrote:
    >I was wondering if anyone has found a way to turn off the scheduler
    >Time Window function. I would really rather that it worked like it
    >does in 8.6. If I schedule a job to run, I want it to run regardless
    >if it has to run late because some other job ran long.
    >
    >For instance, last night my tape cleaning job didn't run because the
    >user-systems backup job ran 4 hours longer than usual.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Greg

    why wouldn't it run after after the first job completes? my does that and
    when it gets set to queued it runs after the other job finished no matter
    how long it lasted.

  3. Re: BE 9.1 Time Window

    In this case the whole run was longer than 24 hours. The cleaning job
    on the end of the chain never ran.

    On my system it doesn't matter if the job is set to queued. If the
    time window runs out, it gets set to "not in time window". It would
    be great if I could set up certain jobs not to have the window, just a
    start time.

    On 6 Jan 2005 17:19:43 -0500, "Brian"
    wrote:

    >Greg Huntzinger wrote:
    >>I was wondering if anyone has found a way to turn off the scheduler
    >>Time Window function. I would really rather that it worked like it
    >>does in 8.6. If I schedule a job to run, I want it to run regardless
    >>if it has to run late because some other job ran long.
    >>
    >>For instance, last night my tape cleaning job didn't run because the
    >>user-systems backup job ran 4 hours longer than usual.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Greg

    >why wouldn't it run after after the first job completes? my does that and
    >when it gets set to queued it runs after the other job finished no matter
    >how long it lasted.

  4. Re: BE 9.1 Time Window

    Greg Huntzinger wrote:
    >In this case the whole run was longer than 24 hours. The cleaning job
    >on the end of the chain never ran.
    >
    >On my system it doesn't matter if the job is set to queued. If the
    >time window runs out, it gets set to "not in time window". It would
    >be great if I could set up certain jobs not to have the window, just a
    >start time.
    >
    >On 6 Jan 2005 17:19:43 -0500, "Brian"
    >wrote:

    all my jobs have a time window of a hal hour. the job before it take more
    than a half hour. my jobs just run perfect if they get set in the time window.

    what if you made you time window 24 hours? if I remember right, the time
    window means the job starts with in this window, as long as it gets queued
    (if there is another job running before it) then it ignores the window, doesn't
    it?

    "Select this option to specify the time window on any scheduled run day during
    which the job can begin."

    if it begins the job and goes into the queue. thus already past the time
    window. it should theoretically stay queued until the previous job completes.
    then it shoudl run.

    more important, why are you cleaning so often?

  5. Re: BE 9.1 Time Window

    Don't know about the time window thing. I have jobs that fail to run
    "not in time window" nearly every night, except on weekends. The data
    that I backup is very inconsistent and backup times vary wildly from
    night to night.

    As for the cleanings, this is a DDS4 autoloader drive and with the
    amount of tape that I put through it, it seems to need to be cleaned
    every few days. If I miss one, I start getting hard errors. The
    drive has just been fully rebuilt and Sony said my cleaning schedule
    sounded about right.

    What seems to have fixed the problem this time is to delete the job
    and recreate it.

    On 7 Jan 2005 11:40:47 -0500, "Brian"
    wrote:

    >Greg Huntzinger wrote:
    >>In this case the whole run was longer than 24 hours. The cleaning job
    >>on the end of the chain never ran.
    >>
    >>On my system it doesn't matter if the job is set to queued. If the
    >>time window runs out, it gets set to "not in time window". It would
    >>be great if I could set up certain jobs not to have the window, just a
    >>start time.
    >>
    >>On 6 Jan 2005 17:19:43 -0500, "Brian"
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >all my jobs have a time window of a hal hour. the job before it take more
    >than a half hour. my jobs just run perfect if they get set in the time window.
    >
    >what if you made you time window 24 hours? if I remember right, the time
    >window means the job starts with in this window, as long as it gets queued
    >(if there is another job running before it) then it ignores the window, doesn't
    >it?
    >
    >"Select this option to specify the time window on any scheduled run day during
    >which the job can begin."
    >
    >if it begins the job and goes into the queue. thus already past the time
    >window. it should theoretically stay queued until the previous job completes.
    >then it shoudl run.
    >
    >more important, why are you cleaning so often?

+ Reply to Thread