Movement of Catalogs - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Movement of Catalogs - Veritas Backup Exec ; Is it possible to configure veritas BE 9.1 to look at a different location for the backup catalogs? The drive that they are on is almost full, but I would like to keep them around. I've looked under Tools -> ...

  1. Movement of Catalogs

    Is it possible to configure veritas BE 9.1 to look at a different
    location for the backup catalogs? The drive that they are on is almost
    full, but I would like to keep them around.

    I've looked under Tools -> Options -> Settings -> Catalogs, but the
    widgets there are greyed out.

    I supposed I could just copy the files to another drive and copy them
    back when I need them, but I'd rather have the backup software really
    know where to look.

    Thanks,

    Josh

  2. Re: Movement of Catalogs

    Hi Josh,

    Looks like you have a SAN setup.

    The possible reason that it(the catalog widget) is greyed out is that u are
    tryin to change on secondary server.
    You can only change on primary server.
    as for the catalog location on secondary server they are fixed and all catalogs
    are stored only on primary server and not on secondary.
    they get synchronised with primary.

    you could try renaming the catalogs folder on the primary server after stopping
    all BE services.Restart all services.copy u01 files and then check..

    Rob

    Josh Andrews wrote:
    >Is it possible to configure veritas BE 9.1 to look at a different
    >location for the backup catalogs? The drive that they are on is almost
    >full, but I would like to keep them around.
    >
    >I've looked under Tools -> Options -> Settings -> Catalogs, but the
    >widgets there are greyed out.
    >
    >I supposed I could just copy the files to another drive and copy them
    >back when I need them, but I'd rather have the backup software really
    >know where to look.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Josh

  3. Re: Movement of Catalogs

    Thanks for the info, Rob.

    I actually am not running a SAN setup. I do have an externally attached
    SCSI tape library, but I'm not sharing it with anything (if that even
    means anything with SCSI anyway.)

    This is my primary backup server, as far as I know.

    I ended up going into the registry under HKLM\Software\Veritas\Backup
    Exec\Engine\Misc\Catalog Path and editing the value to point it to the
    new location that I had moved my catalogs to. I can still see all of the
    catalogs and search and stuff after restarting backup exec services, so
    things seem OK.

    Widgets still greyed out but who cares...

    Thanks,

    Josh

    rob wrote:
    > Hi Josh,
    >
    > Looks like you have a SAN setup.
    >
    > The possible reason that it(the catalog widget) is greyed out is that u are
    > tryin to change on secondary server.
    > You can only change on primary server.
    > as for the catalog location on secondary server they are fixed and all catalogs
    > are stored only on primary server and not on secondary.
    > they get synchronised with primary.
    >
    > you could try renaming the catalogs folder on the primary server after stopping
    > all BE services.Restart all services.copy u01 files and then check..
    >
    > Rob
    >

    > Josh Andrews wrote:
    >
    >>Is it possible to configure veritas BE 9.1 to look at a different
    >>location for the backup catalogs? The drive that they are on is almost
    >>full, but I would like to keep them around.
    >>
    >>I've looked under Tools -> Options -> Settings -> Catalogs, but the
    >>widgets there are greyed out.
    >>
    >>I supposed I could just copy the files to another drive and copy them
    >>back when I need them, but I'd rather have the backup software really
    >>know where to look.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Josh

+ Reply to Thread