SDLT 320 tapes - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SDLT 320 tapes - Veritas Backup Exec ; We use an ADIC FastStor2 with SDLT 320 tapes. Part of our rotation strategy is doing differentials Mon-Thurs. I will be using the same set of tapes for my differentials, but I don't exactly know when I need to expire ...

  1. SDLT 320 tapes

    We use an ADIC FastStor2 with SDLT 320 tapes. Part of our rotation strategy
    is doing differentials Mon-Thurs. I will be using the same set of tapes for
    my differentials, but I don't exactly know when I need to expire the media.
    What guidelines should I use? The manufacturer of my tapes says that the
    tapes are good for 1,000,000 head passes, but that doesn't mean anything to
    me? Do I base it on drive hours, size of data written/read, # of mounts,
    hard errors? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

    Scott

  2. Re: SDLT 320 tapes

    Hi Scott
    We have been using up until this month a Compaq TL 895 robotic library with
    DLT7000 drives we use DLT 4 tapes and only replace them once the media is
    reported as bad this has proved to be up to 18 months, the drives are cleaned
    daily and the backups run 7 days a week some people might say 12 months but
    if the media is ok to write to and read from then i dont believe there is
    a rule.

    "Scott Adams" wrote:
    >We use an ADIC FastStor2 with SDLT 320 tapes. Part of our rotation strategy
    >is doing differentials Mon-Thurs. I will be using the same set of tapes

    for
    >my differentials, but I don't exactly know when I need to expire the media.
    >What guidelines should I use? The manufacturer of my tapes says that the
    >tapes are good for 1,000,000 head passes, but that doesn't mean anything

    >me? Do I base it on drive hours, size of data written/read, # of mounts,
    >hard errors? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    >
    >Scott

  3. Re: SDLT 320 tapes

    Hi Scott,

    I think you may want to check the media statistics, like the soft write &
    hard write errors on that particular tapes.

    If the hard write are more than 2 & soft write are more than 100 , I will
    recommend to replace the tape since you may have diffcult restoring the data
    integrity.

    cheers
    Rakesh

    "John Considine" wrote:

    >Hi Scott
    >We have been using up until this month a Compaq TL 895 robotic library with
    >DLT7000 drives we use DLT 4 tapes and only replace them once the media is
    >reported as bad this has proved to be up to 18 months, the drives are cleaned
    >daily and the backups run 7 days a week some people might say 12 months

    but
    >if the media is ok to write to and read from then i dont believe there is
    >a rule.
    >
    >"Scott Adams" wrote:
    >>We use an ADIC FastStor2 with SDLT 320 tapes. Part of our rotation strategy
    >>is doing differentials Mon-Thurs. I will be using the same set of tapes

    >for
    >>my differentials, but I don't exactly know when I need to expire the media.
    >>What guidelines should I use? The manufacturer of my tapes says that the
    >>tapes are good for 1,000,000 head passes, but that doesn't mean anything

    >>me? Do I base it on drive hours, size of data written/read, # of mounts,
    >>hard errors? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    >>
    >>Scott

+ Reply to Thread