Just got a new Ultrium tape drive and Backup Exec 9.1 and am trying to set
up new jobs. I'd like a full back up on Monday nights and either incr or
diff Tues thru Fri. Normally I have on site one months worth of backup data
and the last week of every month is saved off site for disaster recovery
and archival purposes. I'd like to cut down the number of tapes I need.
Monday nights I will need a 200-400G tape. In the past I have done incrementals
on a single tape. In this case I would only need 2 tapes a week. However
I have been told that differential is a better way to go - but I would need
a tape each night Mon - Fri (200-400 Mon and 100-200 Tues - Fri) that means
5 tapes a week(25) plus the 60 tapes to go off site. In the past I have
had 5 weeks of tapes and depending on the number of weeks in the month 3
- 4 weeks were recycled with the last week of the month being saved.
Am I making this too complicated? Is there a simpler way?
Thanks
Thanks