low compression ratio - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on low compression ratio - Veritas Backup Exec ; System : Windows 2003 Server + latest SP BackupExec ver 9.1 rev 4691 Device : Lto 1 Ultrium 230 external Problem : Low compression ratio - 0.5:1 compression ratio ! (less than 1:1 !) Hardware compression is on. backup job ...

  1. low compression ratio

    System : Windows 2003 Server + latest SP
    BackupExec ver 9.1 rev 4691
    Device : Lto 1 Ultrium 230 external
    Problem : Low compression ratio - 0.5:1 compression ratio ! (less than 1:1
    !)
    Hardware compression is on.
    backup job full backup of common files like MSOffice files.
    Backup throughput is good > 100MB/min
    I've tried new and used media.
    I had a SDLT220 tape before that worked fine but it's broken now, so I replace
    it with the Lto. With SDLT I had 1.3:1 compression ratio average.
    BackupExec and Windows system recognizes the Lto with no problem.
    How can I improve the compression ?
    Thanks,
    Raul Livne

  2. Re: low compression ratio

    might want to watch my thread from yesterday - "Hardware compresssion .94 to
    1"

    Roger.

    "Raul Livne" wrote in message

    > System : Windows 2003 Server + latest SP
    > BackupExec ver 9.1 rev 4691
    > Device : Lto 1 Ultrium 230 external
    > Problem : Low compression ratio - 0.5:1 compression ratio ! (less than 1:1
    > !)
    > Hardware compression is on.
    > backup job full backup of common files like MSOffice files.
    > Backup throughput is good > 100MB/min
    > I've tried new and used media.
    > I had a SDLT220 tape before that worked fine but it's broken now, so I

    replace
    > it with the Lto. With SDLT I had 1.3:1 compression ratio average.
    > BackupExec and Windows system recognizes the Lto with no problem.
    > How can I improve the compression ?
    > Thanks,
    > Raul Livne

  3. Re: low compression ratio

    I'm trying each suggestion, so far no, I'll be changing to Certance drivers
    and checking soft errors on the drives next.

    Roger.
    BTW - I had some installs where I installed updated drivers, SP1, other
    "recommended" fixes, and Backups started blowing up. I uninstalled and
    re-installed just the build 4691 and backups started working again -
    although in 1 instance, .94 to 1 compression (but at least with a big enough
    tape I get a complete backup)

    "raul" wrote in message

    > Roger,
    > I read this thread before. Did it help you ?
    > In the meanwhile, I reinstalled BE 9.1, installed SP1 and updated drivers
    > for BE.
    > I ran a small backup ~2GB and got a 1.2:1 compression. Then ran a larger
    > one ~30GB and compression drop to 0.5:1 again. Most of the files are

    msoffice
    > files and even if there are jpgs, pdfs and mpegs, I would expect a ratio
    > of at least 1:1.
    > I also ran HP's LTT test for the drive (very good tool for HP devices).

    The
    > compression test, which attempts to get 2:1 compression was successful.
    >
    > "R" <12345@12345.com> wrote:
    > >might want to watch my thread from yesterday - "Hardware compresssion .94

    > >1"
    > >
    > >Roger.
    > >
    > >"Raul Livne" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> System : Windows 2003 Server + latest SP
    > >> BackupExec ver 9.1 rev 4691
    > >> Device : Lto 1 Ultrium 230 external
    > >> Problem : Low compression ratio - 0.5:1 compression ratio ! (less than

    > 1:1
    > >> !)
    > >> Hardware compression is on.
    > >> backup job full backup of common files like MSOffice files.
    > >> Backup throughput is good > 100MB/min
    > >> I've tried new and used media.
    > >> I had a SDLT220 tape before that worked fine but it's broken now, so

    > >replace
    > >> it with the Lto. With SDLT I had 1.3:1 compression ratio average.
    > >> BackupExec and Windows system recognizes the Lto with no problem.
    > >> How can I improve the compression ?
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Raul Livne

  4. Re: low compression ratio

    "R" <12345@12345.com> wrote:
    >might want to watch my thread from yesterday - "Hardware compresssion .94

    >1"
    >
    >Roger.
    >
    >"Raul Livne" wrote in message
    >>
    >> System : Windows 2003 Server + latest SP
    >> BackupExec ver 9.1 rev 4691
    >> Device : Lto 1 Ultrium 230 external
    >> Problem : Low compression ratio - 0.5:1 compression ratio ! (less than

    1:1
    >> !)
    >> Hardware compression is on.
    >> backup job full backup of common files like MSOffice files.
    >> Backup throughput is good > 100MB/min
    >> I've tried new and used media.
    >> I had a SDLT220 tape before that worked fine but it's broken now, so

    >replace
    >> it with the Lto. With SDLT I had 1.3:1 compression ratio average.
    >> BackupExec and Windows system recognizes the Lto with no problem.
    >> How can I improve the compression ?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Raul Livne

  5. Re: low compression ratio

    R wrote:
    > I'm trying each suggestion, so far no, I'll be changing to Certance drivers
    > and checking soft errors on the drives next.

    Maby you should try to use the 'official' tape drivers from your
    hardware vendor and not the BE versions. I use an LTO2 and have
    compressions of 10:1 and higher (17.8:1 being the maxmium so far) and I
    am not using the BE drivers. When I did I ran into other problems so
    your milage may vary

    --
    Kind Regards
    A van der Boom

  6. Re: low compression ratio

    I loaded Certance driver this a.m. Will see what happens on tonights backup.

    "A van der Boom" wrote in message
    > R wrote:
    > > I'm trying each suggestion, so far no, I'll be changing to Certance

    drivers
    > > and checking soft errors on the drives next.

    > Maby you should try to use the 'official' tape drivers from your
    > hardware vendor and not the BE versions. I use an LTO2 and have
    > compressions of 10:1 and higher (17.8:1 being the maxmium so far) and I
    > am not using the BE drivers. When I did I ran into other problems so
    > your milage may vary
    >
    > --
    > Kind Regards
    > A van der Boom

  7. Re: low compression ratio

    to van der Boom :
    Thanks for your advice. But there're two places were drivers are needed :
    OS (win2k3 in my case) and the BE program. For the OS i'm using a driver
    I downloaded from HP. What about BE ? I downloaded and installed the latest
    drivers from veritas. Where can I get "official" drivers ?
    Raul
    A van der Boom wrote:
    >R wrote:
    >> I'm trying each suggestion, so far no, I'll be changing to Certance drivers
    >> and checking soft errors on the drives next.

    >Maby you should try to use the 'official' tape drivers from your
    >hardware vendor and not the BE versions. I use an LTO2 and have
    >compressions of 10:1 and higher (17.8:1 being the maxmium so far) and I

    >am not using the BE drivers. When I did I ran into other problems so
    >your milage may vary
    >
    >--
    >Kind Regards
    > A van der Boom

  8. Re: low compression ratio

    Raul wrote:
    > to van der Boom :
    > Thanks for your advice. But there're two places were drivers are needed :
    > OS (win2k3 in my case) and the BE program. For the OS i'm using a driver
    > I downloaded from HP. What about BE ? I downloaded and installed the latest
    > drivers from veritas. Where can I get "official" drivers ?
    > Raul

    BE uses a device which is known to Windows so you only need to install
    the correct Windows drivers for the device. If you run the Veritas
    'driver setup' you will see that it replaces the Windows drivers with
    Veritas drivers.

    --
    Kind Regards
    A van der Boom

  9. Re: low compression ratio

    Using the certance driver did me no good, still about .94 to 1

    Out of ideas now.
    BTW - in a 2.2 hour backup of 26GB, I had 77 soft errors

    Roger.

    :
    > > OS (win2k3 in my case) and the BE program. For the OS i'm using a driver
    > > I downloaded from HP. What about BE ? I downloaded and installed the

    latest
    > > drivers from veritas. Where can I get "official" drivers ?
    > > Raul

    > BE uses a device which is known to Windows so you only need to install
    > the correct Windows drivers for the device. If you run the Veritas
    > 'driver setup' you will see that it replaces the Windows drivers with
    > Veritas drivers.
    >
    > --
    > Kind Regards
    > A van der Boom

  10. Re: low compression ratio

    R wrote:
    > Using the certance driver did me no good, still about .94 to 1
    >
    > Out of ideas now.
    > BTW - in a 2.2 hour backup of 26GB, I had 77 soft errors
    >
    > Roger.

    The only ideas I have left is to try a backup with software compression
    and see if that works or repair the installation of BE and try backingup
    again and see if hardware compression works. And make sure that your
    tapedevice support hardware compression.

    Don't know about the softerrors, if it's about file's it cannot backup
    because they are in use you can ignore them or try the 'with lock'
    option. It all depends on the kind of errors you got.

    --
    Kind Regards
    A van der Boom

  11. Re: low compression ratio

    In my case (LTO1), I'm getting ~0.5:1.
    I ran HP LTT compression test again and it was successful. The test shows
    that hardware compression is enable.
    I noticed one thing : When I check the tape drive under Computer Management
    / Device Manager / Tape Drives / Tape Properties / Tape Drive Parameters
    - there are two parameters about compression : Compression Capable and Compression
    Enable. The value for the 1st is True, but for the second is False. I understand
    this as Windows 2k3 (OS) recognizes the drive as capable to compresss, but
    with the compression disable. I can't find how to enable it.
    What still makes no sense for me is that if no compression is used at all,
    the least one is suppose to get is 1:1...
    Raul

    A van der Boom wrote:
    >R wrote:
    >> Using the certance driver did me no good, still about .94 to 1
    >>
    >> Out of ideas now.
    >> BTW - in a 2.2 hour backup of 26GB, I had 77 soft errors
    >>
    >> Roger.

    >The only ideas I have left is to try a backup with software compression

    >and see if that works or repair the installation of BE and try backingup

    >again and see if hardware compression works. And make sure that your
    >tapedevice support hardware compression.
    >
    >Don't know about the softerrors, if it's about file's it cannot backup
    >because they are in use you can ignore them or try the 'with lock'
    >option. It all depends on the kind of errors you got.
    >
    >--
    >Kind Regards
    > A van der Boom

  12. Re: low compression ratio

    Software didn't do better than 1:1 either, which really confuses me. This is
    26gb on an SBS server; no way there isn't some compression to be had on some
    of the files - lots of Word and Excel if nothing else.

    thanks,
    Roger.

    > R wrote:
    > > Using the certance driver did me no good, still about .94 to 1
    > >
    > > Out of ideas now.
    > > BTW - in a 2.2 hour backup of 26GB, I had 77 soft errors
    > >
    > > Roger.

    > The only ideas I have left is to try a backup with software compression
    > and see if that works or repair the installation of BE and try backingup
    > again and see if hardware compression works. And make sure that your
    > tapedevice support hardware compression.
    >
    > Don't know about the softerrors, if it's about file's it cannot backup
    > because they are in use you can ignore them or try the 'with lock'
    > option. It all depends on the kind of errors you got.
    >
    > --
    > Kind Regards
    > A van der Boom

+ Reply to Thread