NAS as a backukp device - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on NAS as a backukp device - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm setting up a NAS unit for network storage, then using tapes for offsite backups. I backup multiple servers, including sql, and exchange. I understand how to setup the backup folders. I"m not sure I like the restore from tape ...

  1. NAS as a backukp device

    I'm setting up a NAS unit for network storage, then using tapes for offsite
    backups. I backup multiple servers, including sql, and exchange. I understand
    how to setup the backup folders. I"m not sure I like the restore from tape
    to nas, then to units if needed, so I was wondering if there is a better
    way?

    I was thinking of making folders for each server for full backups, running
    once a week, and setting overwrite protection for 6 days, with overwrite
    enabled on backup. Then making folders for each server for incremental backups
    with append, but how do I overwrite the incrementals after a certain period
    of time?

    Thoughts? Thanks !

  2. Re: NAS as a backukp device

    Don B wrote:
    > I'm setting up a NAS unit for network storage, then using tapes for offsite
    > backups. I backup multiple servers, including sql, and exchange. I understand
    > how to setup the backup folders. I"m not sure I like the restore from tape
    > to nas, then to units if needed, so I was wondering if there is a better
    > way?
    >
    > I was thinking of making folders for each server for full backups, running
    > once a week, and setting overwrite protection for 6 days, with overwrite
    > enabled on backup. Then making folders for each server for incremental backups
    > with append, but how do I overwrite the incrementals after a certain period
    > of time?
    >
    > Thoughts? Thanks !

    Don't know what you exactly mean but with BE9.1 you can duplicate a B2D
    to tape. The advantage is that you can restore from tape directly to the
    place where your files came from, so you do not need to restore to a
    separate folder and from there restore further.

    --
    Kind Regards
    A van der Boom

  3. Re: NAS as a backukp device

    Thanks for the answer. BE9 = Backup Exec V9.1

    If I do a backup to disk, then I presume back that up to Tape, how do I
    restore from tape to original server disk?

    Maybe it's easier than I think. Will BE recognize the files on the tapes
    (Backup to disk) and catalogue from that and restore?

    Thanks !

    "A van der Boom" wrote in message
    > Don B wrote:
    >> I'm setting up a NAS unit for network storage, then using tapes for
    >> offsite
    >> backups. I backup multiple servers, including sql, and exchange. I
    >> understand
    >> how to setup the backup folders. I"m not sure I like the restore from
    >> tape
    >> to nas, then to units if needed, so I was wondering if there is a better
    >> way?
    >>
    >> I was thinking of making folders for each server for full backups,
    >> running
    >> once a week, and setting overwrite protection for 6 days, with overwrite
    >> enabled on backup. Then making folders for each server for incremental
    >> backups
    >> with append, but how do I overwrite the incrementals after a certain
    >> period
    >> of time?
    >>
    >> Thoughts? Thanks !

    > Don't know what you exactly mean but with BE9.1 you can duplicate a B2D to
    > tape. The advantage is that you can restore from tape directly to the
    > place where your files came from, so you do not need to restore to a
    > separate folder and from there restore further.
    >
    > --
    > Kind Regards
    > A van der Boom

  4. Re: NAS as a backukp device

    Don Bentz wrote:
    > Thanks for the answer. BE9 = Backup Exec V9.1
    >
    > If I do a backup to disk, then I presume back that up to Tape, how do I
    > restore from tape to original server disk?
    >
    > Maybe it's easier than I think. Will BE recognize the files on the tapes
    > (Backup to disk) and catalogue from that and restore?
    >
    > Thanks !

    To get the B2D to tape simply make an duplicate job which runs right
    after the backup job. (my experience is that this does not work for
    system disks, aka where the OS resides. It alway seems to f*ckup the
    current job and all jobs following that so I backup system disks
    directly to tape)

    Restoreing date is like you normaly do. (as long as you has the
    catalogs) select the media which the duplicate job created, make you
    restore selections, select source device, select restore options and run it.
    If you don't have the catalog you can first catalog the tape or run a
    manual duplicate job from tape to a temporary B2D and restore from
    there.(depends on the diskspace you have). The easiest way is to save
    you catalogs.

    --
    Kind Regards
    A van der Boom

  5. Re: NAS as a backukp device

    Ok, yea this is the way I've been doing it, however because they won't
    upgrade the tape drives, it takes just a little over 14 hours to backup from
    server disk to tape. I was thinking of a way to backup to nas, then from
    nas to tape, but it's a double restore at that point.

    > Don Bentz wrote:
    >> Thanks for the answer. BE9 = Backup Exec V9.1
    >>
    >> If I do a backup to disk, then I presume back that up to Tape, how do I
    >> restore from tape to original server disk?
    >>
    >> Maybe it's easier than I think. Will BE recognize the files on the tapes
    >> (Backup to disk) and catalogue from that and restore?
    >>
    >> Thanks !

    > To get the B2D to tape simply make an duplicate job which runs right after
    > the backup job. (my experience is that this does not work for system
    > disks, aka where the OS resides. It alway seems to f*ckup the current job
    > and all jobs following that so I backup system disks directly to tape)
    >
    > Restoreing date is like you normaly do. (as long as you has the catalogs)
    > select the media which the duplicate job created, make you restore
    > selections, select source device, select restore options and run it.
    > If you don't have the catalog you can first catalog the tape or run a
    > manual duplicate job from tape to a temporary B2D and restore from
    > there.(depends on the diskspace you have). The easiest way is to save you
    > catalogs.
    >
    > --
    > Kind Regards
    > A van der Boom

  6. Re: NAS as a backukp device

    Don Bentz wrote:
    > Ok, yea this is the way I've been doing it, however because they won't
    > upgrade the tape drives, it takes just a little over 14 hours to backup from
    > server disk to tape. I was thinking of a way to backup to nas, then from
    > nas to tape, but it's a double restore at that point.
    >
    > "A van der Boom" wrote in message
    >
    >>Don Bentz wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thanks for the answer. BE9 = Backup Exec V9.1
    >>>
    >>>If I do a backup to disk, then I presume back that up to Tape, how do I
    >>>restore from tape to original server disk?
    >>>
    >>>Maybe it's easier than I think. Will BE recognize the files on the tapes
    >>>(Backup to disk) and catalogue from that and restore?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks !

    >>To get the B2D to tape simply make an duplicate job which runs right after
    >>the backup job. (my experience is that this does not work for system
    >>disks, aka where the OS resides. It alway seems to f*ckup the current job
    >>and all jobs following that so I backup system disks directly to tape)
    >>
    >>Restoreing date is like you normaly do. (as long as you has the catalogs)
    >>select the media which the duplicate job created, make you restore
    >>selections, select source device, select restore options and run it.
    >>If you don't have the catalog you can first catalog the tape or run a
    >>manual duplicate job from tape to a temporary B2D and restore from
    >>there.(depends on the diskspace you have). The easiest way is to save you
    >>catalogs.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Kind Regards
    >> A van der Boom

    Saw in another post (sorry, can't find it right now), that with v9.1, if
    you Duplicate the disk backup to tape rather than doing a backup of the
    bkf files, you should be able to restore directky from tape.

  7. Re: NAS as a backukp device

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    > Don Bentz wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, yea this is the way I've been doing it, however because they
    >> won't upgrade the tape drives, it takes just a little over 14 hours to
    >> backup from server disk to tape. I was thinking of a way to backup to
    >> nas, then from nas to tape, but it's a double restore at that point.

    > Saw in another post (sorry, can't find it right now), that with v9.1, if
    > you Duplicate the disk backup to tape rather than doing a backup of the
    > bkf files, you should be able to restore directky from tape.

    That is what I meant. When you duplicate a B2D job to tape you can
    restore directly from tape to the original place where the files came from.

    --
    Kind Regards
    A van der Boom

+ Reply to Thread