SQL server backup unable to select - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SQL server backup unable to select - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I am trying to backup a remote MS-SQL server using Veritas Backup. But when I go to select the SQL databases I receive the following error message: "An error was encountered when attempting to browse the contents of An ...

  1. SQL server backup unable to select

    Hi,

    I am trying to backup a remote MS-SQL server using Veritas Backup. But when
    I go to select the SQL databases I receive the following error message:

    "An error was encountered when attempting to browse the contents of

    An unknown error occurred within the NDMP subsystem"

    The media server is a Windows 2003 box, with Veritas 9.1 4691
    The remote SQL server is a Windows 2000 box.
    The remote agent was successfully installed on the W2K box. I can select
    drives and system state. The only thing I cannot select is the SQL Server
    I can select other SQL servers on the network.

    So I guess the problem is on the remote computer.
    Any ideas? Please?

    Thanks a lot!,

    Pablo

  2. Re: SQL server backup unable to select

    Pablo Julian Pedrocca wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to backup a remote MS-SQL server using Veritas Backup. But when
    > I go to select the SQL databases I receive the following error message:
    >
    > "An error was encountered when attempting to browse the contents of
    >
    > An unknown error occurred within the NDMP subsystem"
    >
    > The media server is a Windows 2003 box, with Veritas 9.1 4691
    > The remote SQL server is a Windows 2000 box.
    > The remote agent was successfully installed on the W2K box. I can select
    > drives and system state. The only thing I cannot select is the SQL Server
    > I can select other SQL servers on the network.
    >
    > So I guess the problem is on the remote computer.
    > Any ideas? Please?
    >
    > Thanks a lot!,
    >
    > Pablo

    May or may not apply, but see

  3. Re: SQL server backup unable to select

    Thanks Ken,
    Unfortunately, none of the doccuments did apply.
    Both media server and remote server software are updated, pached, and so on.
    Thoughts?

    Thanks again Ken for your time,

    Pablo

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > Pablo Julian Pedrocca wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am trying to backup a remote MS-SQL server using Veritas Backup. But

    when
    > > I go to select the SQL databases I receive the following error message:
    > >
    > > "An error was encountered when attempting to browse the contents of
    > >
    > > An unknown error occurred within the NDMP subsystem"
    > >
    > > The media server is a Windows 2003 box, with Veritas 9.1 4691
    > > The remote SQL server is a Windows 2000 box.
    > > The remote agent was successfully installed on the W2K box. I can select
    > > drives and system state. The only thing I cannot select is the SQL

    Server
    > > I can select other SQL servers on the network.
    > >
    > > So I guess the problem is on the remote computer.
    > > Any ideas? Please?
    > >
    > > Thanks a lot!,
    > >
    > > Pablo
    > >

    > May or may not apply, but see
    >
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/266777.htm
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/262928.htm
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/257369.htm
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/243968.htm

  4. Re: SQL server backup unable to select

    Pablo Julian Pedrocca wrote:
    > Thanks Ken,
    > Unfortunately, none of the doccuments did apply.
    > Both media server and remote server software are updated, pached, and so on.
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks again Ken for your time,
    >
    > Pablo
    >

    > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >
    >>Pablo Julian Pedrocca wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I am trying to backup a remote MS-SQL server using Veritas Backup. But

    > when
    >
    >>>I go to select the SQL databases I receive the following error message:
    >>>
    >>>"An error was encountered when attempting to browse the contents of
    >>>
    >>>An unknown error occurred within the NDMP subsystem"
    >>>
    >>>The media server is a Windows 2003 box, with Veritas 9.1 4691
    >>>The remote SQL server is a Windows 2000 box.
    >>>The remote agent was successfully installed on the W2K box. I can select
    >>>drives and system state. The only thing I cannot select is the SQL

    > Server
    >
    >>>I can select other SQL servers on the network.
    >>>
    >>>So I guess the problem is on the remote computer.
    >>>Any ideas? Please?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks a lot!,
    >>>
    >>>Pablo
    >>>

    >>May or may not apply, but see
    >>
    >>http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/266777.htm
    >>http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/262928.htm
    >>http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/257369.htm
    >>http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/243968.htm

    Have you tried uninstalling the remote agent, booting and re-installing?

  5. Re: SQL server backup unable to select

    Yes off course, several times.
    And I also tried both the remote and the local installation.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > Pablo Julian Pedrocca wrote:
    > > Thanks Ken,
    > > Unfortunately, none of the doccuments did apply.
    > > Both media server and remote server software are updated, pached, and so

    on.
    > > Thoughts?
    > >
    > > Thanks again Ken for your time,
    > >
    > > Pablo
    > >

    > > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > > when

    select

    > > Server

    > >>May or may not apply, but see
    > >>
    > >>http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/266777.htm
    > >>http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/262928.htm
    > >>http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/257369.htm
    > >>http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/243968.htm
    > >>

    > Have you tried uninstalling the remote agent, booting and re-installing?

  6. Re: SQL server backup unable to select

    Pablo Julian Pedrocca wrote:
    > Yes off course, several times.
    > And I also tried both the remote and the local installation.
    >
    > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >
    >>Pablo Julian Pedrocca wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thanks Ken,
    >>>Unfortunately, none of the doccuments did apply.
    >>>Both media server and remote server software are updated, pached, and so

    > on.
    >
    >>>Thoughts?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks again Ken for your time,
    >>>
    >>>Pablo
    >>>

    >>>"Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    >>>when

    > select

    >>>Server

    >>Have you tried uninstalling the remote agent, booting and re-installing?

    In that case, unless somebody else jumps in, you're probably going to
    have to breakdown and pay for an incident with Veritas

  7. Re: SQL server backup unable to select

    That's so sad... but probably I will go.
    Thanks for your time, Ken.

    Pablo

+ Reply to Thread