Unable to restore from backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Unable to restore from backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; I back up over half a terabyte of information on weekly basis. I was asked to restore a folder but cannot get to it under the restore function. I know it was backed up, since job log has it. Is ...

  1. Unable to restore from backup

    I back up over half a terabyte of information on weekly basis. I was asked
    to restore a folder but cannot get to it under the restore function. I know
    it was backed up, since job log has it. Is there a limit as to what restore
    can see for all files backed? IF there is, is there something I can do to
    change it? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: Unable to restore from backup

    What do you see if you catalog the server? The joblog is not a good way of
    checking if a backup is OK. Only a testrestore is... There are many
    horrorstories about people backing up TONS of data but the day that they
    need the restore there's nothing on the tapes that they can use... Hope
    that's not your case!

    /Jörgen

    "Lisa" skrev i meddelandet

    > I back up over half a terabyte of information on weekly basis. I was
    > asked
    > to restore a folder but cannot get to it under the restore function. I
    > know
    > it was backed up, since job log has it. Is there a limit as to what
    > restore
    > can see for all files backed? IF there is, is there something I can do to
    > change it? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

  3. Re: Unable to restore from backup

    "Lisa" wrote in message

    > I back up over half a terabyte of information on weekly basis. I was
    > asked
    > to restore a folder but cannot get to it under the restore function. I
    > know
    > it was backed up, since job log has it. Is there a limit as to what
    > restore
    > can see for all files backed? IF there is, is there something I can do to
    > change it? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    I'm running BE 9.0, on Windows 2000 server..2-DLT tape drives.

    I have had a similar problem. I was running a backup on a couple of server
    drives followed by a backup of a few remote machines (The server backup
    is the same Mon-Thurs...the remote backup rotates through different
    desktops each night).

    All backup job logs indicate backup and verify are OK. But on Restore,
    one server drive is not listed on Mondays and Tuesdays. I tried Catalog
    on the tapes and it fails with errors. I did long erases on the tapes,
    still
    no good. I replaced the tapes...still no good.

    Finally, I eliminated the remote backup after the server backup. Now
    the Restore is fine every night. I posted about this and have gotten no
    response.

    For right now, I am not doing workstation backups. We are changing
    the office ....so the scheme will need to change anyway. I also plan to
    upgrade to BE 9.1. At that time, it will be more urgent that this problem
    is resolved.

    Terry S.

  4. Re: Unable to restore from backup

    "Jörgen" wrote:
    >What do you see if you catalog the server? The joblog is not a good way

    of
    >checking if a backup is OK. Only a testrestore is... There are many
    >horrorstories about people backing up TONS of data but the day that they

    >need the restore there's nothing on the tapes that they can use... Hope

    >that's not your case!
    >
    >/Jörgen

    The backup was completed with exceptions, the exceptions were the skipped
    files. After the skipped files, there is nothing there, but the tape shows
    that is has backed up over 500GB of information. When you go to restore
    it does not recognize anything after 200GB. But I still need to restore
    the folder.

    >"Lisa" skrev i meddelandet
    >>
    >> I back up over half a terabyte of information on weekly basis. I was

    >> asked
    >> to restore a folder but cannot get to it under the restore function.

    >> know
    >> it was backed up, since job log has it. Is there a limit as to what
    >> restore
    >> can see for all files backed? IF there is, is there something I can do

    >> change it? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

  5. Re: Unable to restore from backup

    Ok but have you done a catalog of the tape. Do that again and see if it
    detects anything more. Have you checked if ANY of the tapes have more than
    200 GB of data?

    Go to Devices--"Backup device name" -- and rightclick on the tape in the
    drive and then choose Catalog. Whats show there is what's on the tape.

    "Lisa" skrev i meddelandet

    > "Jörgen" wrote:
    >>What do you see if you catalog the server? The joblog is not a good way

    > of
    >>checking if a backup is OK. Only a testrestore is... There are many
    >>horrorstories about people backing up TONS of data but the day that they

    >>need the restore there's nothing on the tapes that they can use... Hope

    >>that's not your case!
    >>
    >>/Jörgen

    > The backup was completed with exceptions, the exceptions were the skipped
    > files. After the skipped files, there is nothing there, but the tape
    > shows
    > that is has backed up over 500GB of information. When you go to restore
    > it does not recognize anything after 200GB. But I still need to restore
    > the folder.
    >

    >>"Lisa" skrev i meddelandet
    >>>
    >>> I back up over half a terabyte of information on weekly basis. I was

    >>> asked
    >>> to restore a folder but cannot get to it under the restore function.

    >>> know
    >>> it was backed up, since job log has it. Is there a limit as to what
    >>> restore
    >>> can see for all files backed? IF there is, is there something I can do

    >>> change it? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread