IDR on Windows 2003 Server - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on IDR on Windows 2003 Server - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm utterly confused after reading a hell of a lot support docs regarding IDR and Windows 2003 server, let me sketch the case: I have a BE 9.1 (latest build) dedicated server running W2K SP4, attached to an IBM Ultrium ...

  1. IDR on Windows 2003 Server

    I'm utterly confused after reading a hell of a lot support docs regarding
    IDR and Windows 2003 server, let me sketch the case:

    I have a BE 9.1 (latest build) dedicated server running W2K SP4, attached
    to an IBM Ultrium library with Veritas drivers on the hardware. One of the
    installed options is IDR.

    Now I started to create bootable media for recovery of several servers. Some
    of these servers are running Windows 2003 Server. According to the BE manual
    I cannot create bootable recovery media for remote 2003 servers from a mediaserver
    running W2K SP4. ****. The same manual mentions that if the BE mediaserver
    is running Windows 2003 Server I can create bootable recovery media for all
    OS'es we still have in use in our company. Great, that's what I need, i'll
    upgrade the OS installation on my BE media server to Windows 2003 Server.

    Checked the techdocs first on any trouble I might run into. Plenty trouble
    ! (Document ID: 267154 ) Apparently running BE on 2003 Server is a bad idea
    because there's lots of trouble with MS storport drivers. Besides, according
    to BE, IDR recovery media creation on 2003 installations that utilize storport
    drivers is not possible (Document ID: 267202) .

    So now what. I cannot create recovery media for remote 2003 Server installations
    from my current BE installation on W2K SP4 and I cannot do that if I upgrade
    the OS installation to 2003 Server.

    Anyone any experience with this ?

    Thanks, Peter

  2. Re: IDR on Windows 2003 Server

    The issue relating to technote 267154 - relate more to IBM x series servers
    with a SERVRAID card in it.
    The issue that the document fixes is because the IBM 2003 SERVraid drivers
    were just not quite right, which caused issues when trying to load tape drivers
    (this blue screen also happened with MS drivers, also other Backup software
    also have the same issues).
    Unless IBM have finally released updated drivers for the SERVraid card in
    2003 - then the best bet is to use the Win2000 drivers - this is because
    this driver does not use storport.

    Now the second article - 267202 - I think they should have been more specific
    with this - they should say it will not work if the SCSI or fibre controller
    you are using for the tape drive is using storport.
    The article is also only related to local IDR of the media server - doing
    a remote IDR will not be an issue.

    Hope that helps you out a bit more.

    "Peter" wrote:

    >I'm utterly confused after reading a hell of a lot support docs regarding
    >IDR and Windows 2003 server, let me sketch the case:
    >
    >I have a BE 9.1 (latest build) dedicated server running W2K SP4, attached
    >to an IBM Ultrium library with Veritas drivers on the hardware. One of the
    >installed options is IDR.
    >
    >Now I started to create bootable media for recovery of several servers.

    Some
    >of these servers are running Windows 2003 Server. According to the BE manual
    >I cannot create bootable recovery media for remote 2003 servers from a mediaserver
    >running W2K SP4. ****. The same manual mentions that if the BE mediaserver
    >is running Windows 2003 Server I can create bootable recovery media for

    all
    >OS'es we still have in use in our company. Great, that's what I need, i'll
    >upgrade the OS installation on my BE media server to Windows 2003 Server.
    >
    >Checked the techdocs first on any trouble I might run into. Plenty trouble
    >! (Document ID: 267154 ) Apparently running BE on 2003 Server is a bad idea
    >because there's lots of trouble with MS storport drivers. Besides, according
    >to BE, IDR recovery media creation on 2003 installations that utilize storport
    >drivers is not possible (Document ID: 267202) .
    >
    >So now what. I cannot create recovery media for remote 2003 Server installations
    >from my current BE installation on W2K SP4 and I cannot do that if I upgrade
    >the OS installation to 2003 Server.
    >
    >Anyone any experience with this ?
    >
    >Thanks, Peter

  3. Re: IDR on Windows 2003 Server

    Thanks for the input, I've decided to go ahead with it and upgraded the installation to 2003 Server.
    So far so good, no BSOD's, tomorrow I'll start with the IDR media creation, see if that works now.

+ Reply to Thread