Backing up a network share - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backing up a network share - Veritas Backup Exec ; List, Sorry if this has been raised before but we recently lost our network admin and redid some servers as a result we were required to move our user directories to another server as they were for some unknown reason ...

  1. Backing up a network share

    List,
    Sorry if this has been raised before but we recently lost our network admin
    and redid some servers as a result we were required to move our user
    directories to another server as they were for some unknown reason on our
    sql server (I need the space back)

    Anyway we have multiple licences for other servers but the one we chose (new
    xeon based pizza box) doesnt have a tape unit. And I doubt the older tape
    drives will fit anyway. We do have a grunter unit on one of our servers and
    I was wondering if I could setup a share drive to the user directories and
    backup on the larger tape unit?

    I am aware of the user agent but I dont need the expense seeing we're
    licensed for the full versions (say 5 and using 4).

    Any suggestions are appreciated.

    We have the lates BE (running on w2.3k) and 4 NT4 servers.

    thanks

    evan

  2. Re: Backing up a network share

    evan b wrote:
    > List,
    > Sorry if this has been raised before but we recently lost our network admin
    > and redid some servers as a result we were required to move our user
    > directories to another server as they were for some unknown reason on our
    > sql server (I need the space back)
    >
    > Anyway we have multiple licences for other servers but the one we chose (new
    > xeon based pizza box) doesnt have a tape unit. And I doubt the older tape
    > drives will fit anyway. We do have a grunter unit on one of our servers and
    > I was wondering if I could setup a share drive to the user directories and
    > backup on the larger tape unit?
    >
    > I am aware of the user agent but I dont need the expense seeing we're
    > licensed for the full versions (say 5 and using 4).
    >
    > Any suggestions are appreciated.
    >
    > We have the lates BE (running on w2.3k) and 4 NT4 servers.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > evan

    Not quite sure what you mean by "seeing we're licensed for the full
    versions (say 5 and using 4)." You have 5 remote agent licenses and are
    using 4?

    If so, just load BEWS (assuming that you have an extra Server License as
    well) on the machine with the older/larger drive, and install one Remote
    Agent.

    AFAIK, if you have a license for each remote server, it doesn't matter
    which server you actually use to back it up. At least that's the way
    that it used to work.

  3. Re: Backing up a network share

    Not quite we have licences for 5 but no agent licences - yet we're only
    using 4 of those 5
    The pizza box doesnt have a tape unit
    So I figured we'd need the agent for that to backup using another servers
    tape unit.

    Anyway as things are ATM networks share backup is fine using unc path but
    obviously the system needs to be rebuilt before then files restored to it
    (to get the same box back so to speak) Not ideal but we're looking at a
    number of options and I am loathe to buy additional licences if I wont use
    them.

    Regards
    evan

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > evan b wrote:
    > > List,
    > > Sorry if this has been raised before but we recently lost our network

    admin
    > > and redid some servers as a result we were required to move our user
    > > directories to another server as they were for some unknown reason on

    our
    > > sql server (I need the space back)
    > >
    > > Anyway we have multiple licences for other servers but the one we chose

    (new
    > > xeon based pizza box) doesnt have a tape unit. And I doubt the older

    tape
    > > drives will fit anyway. We do have a grunter unit on one of our servers

    and
    > > I was wondering if I could setup a share drive to the user directories

    and
    > > backup on the larger tape unit?
    > >
    > > I am aware of the user agent but I dont need the expense seeing we're
    > > licensed for the full versions (say 5 and using 4).
    > >
    > > Any suggestions are appreciated.
    > >
    > > We have the lates BE (running on w2.3k) and 4 NT4 servers.
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > evan
    > >

    > Not quite sure what you mean by "seeing we're licensed for the full
    > versions (say 5 and using 4)." You have 5 remote agent licenses and are
    > using 4?
    >
    > If so, just load BEWS (assuming that you have an extra Server License as
    > well) on the machine with the older/larger drive, and install one Remote
    > Agent.
    >
    > AFAIK, if you have a license for each remote server, it doesn't matter
    > which server you actually use to back it up. At least that's the way
    > that it used to work.

+ Reply to Thread