Formatting tapes - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Formatting tapes - Veritas Backup Exec ; Backup Exec 9.1 Rev. 4691 Can a backup job include a complete format of tapes?? If so, how? Thanks, Tom...

  1. Formatting tapes

    Backup Exec 9.1 Rev. 4691

    Can a backup job include a complete format of tapes?? If so, how?

    Thanks,
    Tom

  2. Re: Formatting tapes

    Tom wrote:
    > Backup Exec 9.1 Rev. 4691
    >
    > Can a backup job include a complete format of tapes?? If so, how?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tom

    No.

    1) why would you want to?

    2) You could schedule a BEMCMD job as a pre-command to do this, but high
    capacity tapes can take a LOOOOONG time to completely reformat, if your
    drive even supports this

  3. Re: Formatting tapes

    1). To help troubleshoot a problem (negative compression rates - .250:1 or
    ..306:1)
    2). Quick and long erases don't always fix the problem.

    The drive and tapes are less than 6 months old.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > Tom wrote:
    >> Backup Exec 9.1 Rev. 4691
    >>
    >> Can a backup job include a complete format of tapes?? If so, how?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Tom

    > No.
    >
    > 1) why would you want to?
    >
    > 2) You could schedule a BEMCMD job as a pre-command to do this, but high
    > capacity tapes can take a LOOOOONG time to completely reformat, if your
    > drive even supports this

  4. Re: Formatting tapes

    Tom wrote:
    > 1). To help troubleshoot a problem (negative compression rates - .250:1 or
    > .306:1)
    > 2). Quick and long erases don't always fix the problem.
    >
    > The drive and tapes are less than 6 months old.
    >

    > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >
    >>Tom wrote:
    >>
    >>>Backup Exec 9.1 Rev. 4691
    >>>
    >>>Can a backup job include a complete format of tapes?? If so, how?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Tom

    >>No.
    >>
    >>1) why would you want to?
    >>
    >>2) You could schedule a BEMCMD job as a pre-command to do this, but high
    >>capacity tapes can take a LOOOOONG time to completely reformat, if your
    >>drive even supports this

    Fair enough. I'd say run some mfg diagnostics if you have any, too

    As I said, if your drive even supports format, it will take a quite a
    while to do, if youhave any questions about the tape, I'd say staret one
    as soon as you come into the office in the morning. Hopefully it will
    be done before you leave, (or before the backup starts )

+ Reply to Thread