Symantec to buy Veritas :-( - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Symantec to buy Veritas :-( - Veritas Backup Exec ; This does not bode well. . . http://www.symantec.com/press/2004/n041216.html...

  1. Symantec to buy Veritas :-(

  2. Re: Symantec to buy Veritas :-(

    Chris Knapp wrote:

    > This does not bode well. . .
    >
    > http://www.symantec.com/press/2004/n041216.html

    Oh dear!

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

  3. Re: Symantec to buy Veritas :-(

    Gerry Hickman wrote:
    >Chris Knapp wrote:
    >
    >> This does not bode well. . .
    >>
    >> http://www.symantec.com/press/2004/n041216.html

    >Oh dear!
    >
    >--
    >Gerry Hickman (London UK)

    I wonder how much our "maintenance" contracts will increase? And calling
    Veritas already means a minimum one hour hold time - look for that to increase
    as well...

  4. Re: Symantec to buy Veritas :-(

    Faceless customer wrote:

    >Gerry Hickman wrote:
    >

    >>Chris Knapp wrote:
    >>

    >>>This does not bode well. . .
    >>>
    >>>http://www.symantec.com/press/2004/n041216.html
    >>>

    >>Oh dear!
    >>
    >>--
    >>Gerry Hickman (London UK)
    >>

    >I wonder how much our "maintenance" contracts will increase? And calling
    >Veritas already means a minimum one hour hold time - look for that to increase
    >as well...

    Well you better try directassist which can be downloaded from veritas
    update, as long as you have a support contract they will help you much
    faster than they would on the phone, plus you have the ability to leave
    the issue open until it is resolved.
    Suits me, why not you ?

  5. Re: Symantec to buy Veritas :-(

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:07:47 +0000, Gerry Hickman
    wrote:

    >Chris Knapp wrote:
    >
    >> This does not bode well. . .
    >>
    >> http://www.symantec.com/press/2004/n041216.html

    I'm not sure why you say that?

    I've never grown to dislike any piece of software as much as I dislike
    Backup Exec, and have never been as disappointed with any tech-support
    as I have with Veritas'.

    The Symantec products I have used all function pretty much as I would
    expect, and though I've never had a need to call their support, I
    can't imagine it could be as bad...

    We're about to move across to CommVault Galaxy (which, by the way, is
    wonderful by comparison), but perhaps in time Symantec will turn
    Backup Exec back into a product worth using...

    Roger

  6. Re: Symantec to buy Veritas :-(

    I must have had a better experience with BE than you. It is never BE that
    screws up. Its always been something that I did that caused unexpected
    results. As often as I get frustrated at BE, it usually user error from my
    experience. Veritas Tech Support has been helpful the few times I've called.
    I've had bad support from MS, HP, Dell, Symantec, and many others. Symantec
    is a publisher of consumer & soho level products. Symantec AV Corp &
    Enterprise are kludgy messes when it comes to enterprise administration. And
    their virus detect rates are not as good as the competition. The only
    products of theirs that works as advertised is pcAnywhere and LiveUpdate

    my 2 cents. Now, if they somehow incorporate LU into BE, than that would be
    neat. Doubt it though. . .

    "Roger J" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:07:47 +0000, Gerry Hickman
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Chris Knapp wrote:
    > >
    > >> This does not bode well. . .
    > >>
    > >> http://www.symantec.com/press/2004/n041216.html

    > I'm not sure why you say that?
    >
    > I've never grown to dislike any piece of software as much as I dislike
    > Backup Exec, and have never been as disappointed with any tech-support
    > as I have with Veritas'.
    >
    > The Symantec products I have used all function pretty much as I would
    > expect, and though I've never had a need to call their support, I
    > can't imagine it could be as bad...
    >
    > We're about to move across to CommVault Galaxy (which, by the way, is
    > wonderful by comparison), but perhaps in time Symantec will turn
    > Backup Exec back into a product worth using...
    >
    > Roger

  7. Re: Symantec to buy Veritas :-(

    Roger J wrote:
    >On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:07:47 +0000, Gerry Hickman
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Chris Knapp wrote:
    >>
    >>> This does not bode well. . .
    >>>
    >>> http://www.symantec.com/press/2004/n041216.html

    >I'm not sure why you say that?
    >
    >I've never grown to dislike any piece of software as much as I dislike
    >Backup Exec, and have never been as disappointed with any tech-support
    >as I have with Veritas'.
    >
    >The Symantec products I have used all function pretty much as I would
    >expect, and though I've never had a need to call their support, I
    >can't imagine it could be as bad...
    >
    >We're about to move across to CommVault Galaxy (which, by the way, is
    >wonderful by comparison), but perhaps in time Symantec will turn
    >Backup Exec back into a product worth using...
    >
    >Roger

    Dream on, my friend. Symantec products are self-serving and bloated, and
    their documentation is awful.

  8. Re: Symantec to buy Veritas :-(

    Chris Knapp wrote:
    > I must have had a better experience with BE than you. It is never BE that
    > screws up. Its always been something that I did that caused unexpected
    > results. As often as I get frustrated at BE, it usually user error from my
    > experience.

    I can see your point, I'd concur that most of the problems I've
    encountered are fixable or can be worked around, but perhaps if you're
    often getting frustrated with BE, as I am, that might be because of the
    quality of the product and documentation, rather than because of
    failings on your part?

    When I first started finding problems in BE, or errors in the
    documentation, I reported them to Veritas, but there were just too many,
    and I'd always get completely inane responses. It became quicker and
    easier to find a workaround. I must have at least 20 scripts that
    perform tasks that BE just won't do reliably.

    Veritas Tech Support has been helpful the few times I've called.
    > I've had bad support from MS, HP, Dell, Symantec, and many others. Symantec
    > is a publisher of consumer & soho level products.

    I would say I generally get good support from MS, mediocre support from
    Dell, and awful support from Veritas. I'm sure many would agree that
    this independent newsgroup is about the best support available for
    Backup Exec.

    Symantec AV Corp &
    > Enterprise are kludgy messes when it comes to enterprise administration. And
    > their virus detect rates are not as good as the competition.

    Well, that depends on which report you read. We recently had a small
    outbreak of a previously unseen virus; Norton had an assessment and fix
    out the same morning, with Sophos we had to wait a few days. Besides,
    I'm not claiming that Norton is the best AV product, merely that in my
    experience it works as expected and is hassle free, whereas Backup Exec
    frequently does not work as expected for me, it is unreliable, which is
    not what you want as part of any disaster recovery system, and takes up
    far too much of my time sorting out all the 'unexpected results'.

    I'm solving my problems with Backup Exec by moving to another product,
    my point was just that in my view any change for Backup Exec could well
    be a good thing.

    Roger

  9. Re: Symantec to buy Veritas :-(

    Norton AV is the worst AV product I've ever used.
    Their support is crap.

    Veritas may not be perfect, and I do like 8,5 much better than 9.1 but their
    support has always been fairly ok. I love the Direct Assistas that has
    helped greatly. Veritas phone support, well i give them a C+.

    I'm kringing on this buyout myself.
    "Gregor" wrote in message

    > Roger J wrote:
    >>On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:07:47 +0000, Gerry Hickman
    >> wrote:

    >>I'm not sure why you say that?
    >>
    >>I've never grown to dislike any piece of software as much as I dislike
    >>Backup Exec, and have never been as disappointed with any tech-support
    >>as I have with Veritas'.
    >>
    >>The Symantec products I have used all function pretty much as I would
    >>expect, and though I've never had a need to call their support, I
    >>can't imagine it could be as bad...
    >>
    >>We're about to move across to CommVault Galaxy (which, by the way, is
    >>wonderful by comparison), but perhaps in time Symantec will turn
    >>Backup Exec back into a product worth using...
    >>
    >>Roger

    > Dream on, my friend. Symantec products are self-serving and bloated, and
    > their documentation is awful.

  10. Re: Symantec to buy Veritas :-(

    Direct Assist is a great idea, but its patching feature is not accurate. It
    consistently tells me I need hotfixes that are either updated by newer
    hotfixes or SP's, or have already been installed. And the process of having
    to reboot after every single one, stinks. This is the only benefit to the
    Symantec merger that I can see. Hopefully they will integrate LiveUpdate. .
    ..

    "Don Bentz" wrote in message news:41dac10b@ROSASTDMZ05....
    > Norton AV is the worst AV product I've ever used.
    > Their support is crap.
    >
    > Veritas may not be perfect, and I do like 8,5 much better than 9.1 but

    their
    > support has always been fairly ok. I love the Direct Assistas that has
    > helped greatly. Veritas phone support, well i give them a C+.
    >
    > I'm kringing on this buyout myself.
    > "Gregor" wrote in message
    > >
    > > Roger J wrote:

    > >>I'm not sure why you say that?
    > >>
    > >>I've never grown to dislike any piece of software as much as I dislike
    > >>Backup Exec, and have never been as disappointed with any tech-support
    > >>as I have with Veritas'.
    > >>
    > >>The Symantec products I have used all function pretty much as I would
    > >>expect, and though I've never had a need to call their support, I
    > >>can't imagine it could be as bad...
    > >>
    > >>We're about to move across to CommVault Galaxy (which, by the way, is
    > >>wonderful by comparison), but perhaps in time Symantec will turn
    > >>Backup Exec back into a product worth using...
    > >>
    > >>Roger

    > > Dream on, my friend. Symantec products are self-serving and bloated,

    and
    > > their documentation is awful.

  11. Re: Symantec to buy Veritas :-(

    Hi Roger,

    > I've never grown to dislike any piece of software as much as I dislike
    > Backup Exec, and have never been as disappointed with any tech-support
    > as I have with Veritas'.
    >
    > The Symantec products I have used all function pretty much as I would
    > expect,

    I know what you mean, but I think you're mixing up desktop products with
    enterprise products. BE has dozens of issues, but they are mainly skin
    deep. The actual backup engine works for hundreds of hours in thousands
    of enterprises in a more reliable way that most other so-called backup
    products in the same price range. Symantec only know about the user
    level, they are really hopeless when it comes to programming the system
    level.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

  12. Re: Symantec to buy Veritas :-(

    Don Bentz wrote:

    > Norton AV is the worst AV product I've ever used.
    > Their support is crap.

    I agree, Network Associates VirusScan Enterprise 7.1 or above is the
    only mainstream AV worth bothering with. Sophos is good in terms of
    deployment, but not much else, and the performance hit is extreme.
    Norton is a total joke.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

+ Reply to Thread