Overwrite protection of individual files or folder - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Overwrite protection of individual files or folder - Veritas Backup Exec ; As far as I understand it you are correct, it is not possible. LTO might well be a very clever technology, but it's still tape, and as such all data stored on it is stored in serial, not random access ...

  1. Re: Overwrite protection of individual files or folder

    As far as I understand it you are correct, it is not possible.

    LTO might well be a very clever technology, but it's still tape, and as such
    all data stored on it is stored in serial, not random access as with a HDD.
    With older technologies, if you wanted to read a particular file, you needed
    to read through the entire tape until you found it. Then catalogue files
    came onto the scene, where the backup software made a record of the files
    which were stored on the tape, similar to a FAT, which would then be stored
    on the server for user when a file access was required. This then allowed
    the backup system to fast forward through the tape to the correct location,
    and then read the correct data. However this catalogue information does not
    allow you to change just one file on the tape.

    Keith

    "Shane Gosdis" wrote in message

    > Hi everyone. I am using BackupExec 9.1 with an LTO. My MIS director

    insists
    > that you can setup a job that will allow you to overwrite protect an

    individual
    > file or folder on a tape but keep using the tape as an overwritable tape
    > (overwritable except for the folder you want to keep indefinitely.) I

    don't
    > think this is true. If it is possible could someone tell me how and if it
    > is not could someone give me a link explaining that it isn't possible with
    > BackupExec that I could show my director.

  2. Overwrite protection of individual files or folder

    Hi everyone. I am using BackupExec 9.1 with an LTO. My MIS director insists
    that you can setup a job that will allow you to overwrite protect an individual
    file or folder on a tape but keep using the tape as an overwritable tape
    (overwritable except for the folder you want to keep indefinitely.) I don't
    think this is true. If it is possible could someone tell me how and if it
    is not could someone give me a link explaining that it isn't possible with
    BackupExec that I could show my director.

  3. Re: Overwrite protection of individual files or folder

    Shane Gosdis wrote:
    > Hi everyone. I am using BackupExec 9.1 with an LTO. My MIS director insists
    > that you can setup a job that will allow you to overwrite protect an individual
    > file or folder on a tape but keep using the tape as an overwritable tape
    > (overwritable except for the folder you want to keep indefinitely.) I don't
    > think this is true. If it is possible could someone tell me how and if it
    > is not could someone give me a link explaining that it isn't possible with
    > BackupExec that I could show my director.

    Tape is sequential access media, not random, so no, you cannot skip some
    files and overwrite others.

    tell your Director to go back to his IT basics cheat sheet for
    definitions of sequential and random access storage media

+ Reply to Thread