Prompted for new tape - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Prompted for new tape - Veritas Backup Exec ; I posted several times before with this same problem but may not have been clear in my explanation. I am using a Certance Travan drive with 10GB/20GB tape cartridges. I have tried both software compression and hardware compression but it ...

  1. Prompted for new tape

    I posted several times before with this same problem but may not have been
    clear in my explanation. I am using a Certance Travan drive with 10GB/20GB
    tape cartridges. I have tried both software compression and hardware compression
    but it doesnt appear the compression is working. I watch the backup job running
    and as soon as it hits 10 GB, I get an alert to remove the tape. I can only
    assume the tape has filled up and its asking for another tape. I check the
    backup log and it shows a compression ratio of 1.8 to 1. I only have about
    11 GB of data to backup and not much of it is already compressed. Any suggestions?

    thanks

  2. Re: Prompted for new tape

    Hello Mark,
    In this case, you can try performing backup with NTBackup utility and verify
    the output. Further, you can perform backup on backup-to-disk folder, which
    can be created on any hard drive with more free spcae available to that of
    backup selection. This would help you to determine whether the problem is
    with Travan tapes or with Backup Exec.
    Cheers,
    MP

    "Mark" wrote:

    >I posted several times before with this same problem but may not have been
    >clear in my explanation. I am using a Certance Travan drive with 10GB/20GB
    >tape cartridges. I have tried both software compression and hardware compression
    >but it doesnt appear the compression is working. I watch the backup job

    running
    >and as soon as it hits 10 GB, I get an alert to remove the tape. I can only
    >assume the tape has filled up and its asking for another tape. I check the
    >backup log and it shows a compression ratio of 1.8 to 1. I only have about
    >11 GB of data to backup and not much of it is already compressed. Any suggestions?
    >
    >thanks

+ Reply to Thread