brick level -vs- ntbackup for mail - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on brick level -vs- ntbackup for mail - Veritas Backup Exec ; ** newbie** I use BE 9.1 and have received multiple errors when trying to backup Exchange. I found documentation that suggest using the ntbackup util to perform backups of mail. Can someone help me understand the difference in the two. ...

  1. brick level -vs- ntbackup for mail

    ** newbie**
    I use BE 9.1 and have received multiple errors when trying to backup
    Exchange.
    I found documentation that suggest using the ntbackup util to perform
    backups of mail.
    Can someone help me understand the difference in the two.
    They both back up to the same media device (Quantum) right?
    At this point any feedback helps.
    TIA
    DM

  2. Re: brick level -vs- ntbackup for mail

    Daniel M wrote:
    > ** newbie**
    > I use BE 9.1 and have received multiple errors when trying to backup
    > Exchange.
    > I found documentation that suggest using the ntbackup util to perform
    > backups of mail.
    > Can someone help me understand the difference in the two.
    > They both back up to the same media device (Quantum) right?
    > At this point any feedback helps.
    > TIA
    > DM

    NTBackup (and the Exchange Agent stores backup for that matter) both do
    a streaming dump of the database. The BEWWS mailbox backup uses a real
    kludege.

    The BEWS service logs into Outlook/Exchange, then ataches to each
    selected mailbox, then opens and reads each item in the mailbox.
    Extremely inefficient, especially across a network.

    if you haven't already seen them, take a look at

    http://support.veritas.com/docs/235354
    http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm

    also there have been may reports here that restoreing individual
    maiolboxes doesn't always give you what you think you should get back,
    especially calendar and contct info.

+ Reply to Thread