What to backup on a cluster - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on What to backup on a cluster - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a two-node Windows Server 2003 Enterprise cluster with two virtual servers in an active/active configuration. We're installing BUEWin 9.1 backup software, and, I'm confused on what to backup the C: and System State on--the virtual or the physical ...

  1. What to backup on a cluster

    I have a two-node Windows Server 2003 Enterprise cluster with two virtual
    servers in an active/active configuration.

    We're installing BUEWin 9.1 backup software, and, I'm confused on what to
    backup the C: and System State on--the virtual or the physical servers?

    I know that the virtual server really uses the physical server, but, also
    thought that there may be additional information in the virtual server's
    System State that won't be in either of the physical ones.

    What's the correct way to do this? Backup C: and System State on both
    physical ones, then only the shared drives on the virtual ones?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: What to backup on a cluster

    C: and system state should be backup by physical server.
    For virtual server, backup the shared drive that shared between these two
    node.

    You may refer to the link below for more info....
    http://support.veritas.com/docs/246640

    "Bill Bradley" wrote in message
    > I have a two-node Windows Server 2003 Enterprise cluster with two virtual
    > servers in an active/active configuration.
    >
    > We're installing BUEWin 9.1 backup software, and, I'm confused on what to
    > backup the C: and System State on--the virtual or the physical servers?
    >
    > I know that the virtual server really uses the physical server, but, also
    > thought that there may be additional information in the virtual server's
    > System State that won't be in either of the physical ones.
    >
    > What's the correct way to do this? Backup C: and System State on both
    > physical ones, then only the shared drives on the virtual ones?
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: What to backup on a cluster

    Thanks. Very helpful!
    "Patrick" wrote in message
    > C: and system state should be backup by physical server.
    > For virtual server, backup the shared drive that shared between these two
    > node.
    >
    > You may refer to the link below for more info....
    > http://support.veritas.com/docs/246640
    >

    > "Bill Bradley" wrote in message
    >> I have a two-node Windows Server 2003 Enterprise cluster with two virtual
    >> servers in an active/active configuration.
    >>
    >> We're installing BUEWin 9.1 backup software, and, I'm confused on what to
    >> backup the C: and System State on--the virtual or the physical servers?
    >>
    >> I know that the virtual server really uses the physical server, but, also
    >> thought that there may be additional information in the virtual server's
    >> System State that won't be in either of the physical ones.
    >>
    >> What's the correct way to do this? Backup C: and System State on both
    >> physical ones, then only the shared drives on the virtual ones?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread