VERY slow backup - Backup Exec 9.1 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on VERY slow backup - Backup Exec 9.1 - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi everybody, I really need your help. We seem to experience a backup problem - our entire backup process can takes up to 10-12 (!) hours, including verify process and it doesn't seem reasonable. It takes the Backup Exec some ...

  1. VERY slow backup - Backup Exec 9.1

    Hi everybody,

    I really need your help.

    We seem to experience a backup problem - our entire backup process can takes
    up to 10-12 (!) hours, including verify process and it doesn't seem reasonable.

    It takes the Backup Exec some 7 (!) hours to backup Microsoft Exchange Server
    (Exchange 2003), with the throughput while backing up being around 18 MB/Min.

    The same problem occurs when the backup server (It's a DC) backs up itself,
    it takes about 4 hours to backup it's own data, including some local data
    disk of 5 GB, with a throughput of around 21 MB/min only.

    Any idea what can cause this?
    Even our distant site is being backed up faster and i am breaking my head
    over it.

    Any help would be highly appreciated.

    Some details about our software/hardware:

    Backup server Server : Compaq Proliant ML370, runs Windows 2003 Server

    The backup tape: Compaq AIT 35 GB LVD Drive (Driver version 5.0 , from 02.09.2003)

    Backup Exec version installed : 9.1 rev. 4691

    Thanks a lot in advance!

  2. Re: VERY slow backup - Backup Exec 9.1

    alex wrote:
    > I don't know why you do it, but I wonder why the verify process is necessary.
    > Once you have the logs you can see if the BKP is OK or not.
    > Why don't you do incremental BKPs monday to thusday and full BKP on friday,
    > for exemple?
    >
    > "Olga" wrote:
    >
    >>Hi everybody,
    >>
    >>I really need your help.
    >>
    >>We seem to experience a backup problem - our entire backup process can takes
    >>up to 10-12 (!) hours, including verify process and it doesn't seem reasonable.
    >>
    >>It takes the Backup Exec some 7 (!) hours to backup Microsoft Exchange Server
    >>(Exchange 2003), with the throughput while backing up being around 18 MB/Min.
    >>
    >>The same problem occurs when the backup server (It's a DC) backs up itself,
    >>it takes about 4 hours to backup it's own data, including some local data
    >>disk of 5 GB, with a throughput of around 21 MB/min only.
    >>
    >>Any idea what can cause this?
    >>Even our distant site is being backed up faster and i am breaking my head
    >>over it.
    >>
    >>Any help would be highly appreciated.
    >>
    >>Some details about our software/hardware:
    >>
    >>Backup server Server : Compaq Proliant ML370, runs Windows 2003 Server
    >>
    >>The backup tape: Compaq AIT 35 GB LVD Drive (Driver version 5.0 , from 02.09.2003)
    >>
    >>Backup Exec version installed : 9.1 rev. 4691
    >>
    >>Thanks a lot in advance!

    don't know about him, but when I run a verify (not all jobs) it's
    becasue I want verification that the tape is readable. (Which is all
    that verify does - it down NOT compare tape to disk. See
    http://support.veritas.com/docs/192163 )

  3. Re: VERY slow backup - Backup Exec 9.1

    Exchange will take a very long time if you are backing up individual
    mailboxes. While its included in BE, consensus is that its a complete waste
    of time and buggy to boot. Search for other posts here that will point you
    to some links on why to not do mailbox (aka brick level) backups on
    Exchange.

    As for your file server, you need to perform some monitoring. Look into the
    performance counters built in to windows, particularly Disk Bytes read/sec &
    Disk Bytes write/sec. These two will give you a good indicator of how fast
    your disk subsystem really is and if its the bottleneck. Fire up the
    performance counters and start a large file copy between your servers, and
    between disks (if you have more than 1) within the same system.

    From the times you indicated (7 + 4 = 11) it looks like you are only backing
    up 2 servers. I'm not familiar with Sony's AIT's but HP makes some utilities
    that will diagnose problems with their tape drive. Sony may have something
    similar.

    Some other things to look for:
    1. Your backups are slow, but how fast are your verifies? backups write to
    the tape, but verifies read from it. If you have fast verifies, than its
    usually not the tape drive.
    2. How fast are your restores?
    3. Are any other processes, jobs running during the backups?
    4. To eliminate the tape drive from the trouble-shooting process, create &
    test some backup to disk jobs.
    5. Are there any errors in your event logs? I had a similar problem with a
    server that had IDE RAID 5. It would time out during heavy disk I/O
    occasionally. Eventually we had to scrap it when HP failed to support it.

    Good Luck. . .

    "Olga" wrote in message news:41bebf54@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I really need your help.
    >
    > We seem to experience a backup problem - our entire backup process can

    takes
    > up to 10-12 (!) hours, including verify process and it doesn't seem

    reasonable.

    > It takes the Backup Exec some 7 (!) hours to backup Microsoft Exchange

    Server
    > (Exchange 2003), with the throughput while backing up being around 18

    MB/Min.

    > The same problem occurs when the backup server (It's a DC) backs up

    itself,
    > it takes about 4 hours to backup it's own data, including some local data
    > disk of 5 GB, with a throughput of around 21 MB/min only.
    >
    > Any idea what can cause this?
    > Even our distant site is being backed up faster and i am breaking my head
    > over it.
    >
    > Any help would be highly appreciated.
    >
    > Some details about our software/hardware:
    >
    > Backup server Server : Compaq Proliant ML370, runs Windows 2003 Server
    >
    > The backup tape: Compaq AIT 35 GB LVD Drive (Driver version 5.0 , from

    02.09.2003)

    > Backup Exec version installed : 9.1 rev. 4691
    >
    > Thanks a lot in advance!

  4. Re: VERY slow backup - Backup Exec 9.1

    Hi,

    Check you event viewer and see if there's error or message related to scsi..

    cheeers
    "Olga" wrote in message news:41bebf54@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I really need your help.
    >
    > We seem to experience a backup problem - our entire backup process can

    takes
    > up to 10-12 (!) hours, including verify process and it doesn't seem

    reasonable.

    > It takes the Backup Exec some 7 (!) hours to backup Microsoft Exchange

    Server
    > (Exchange 2003), with the throughput while backing up being around 18

    MB/Min.

    > The same problem occurs when the backup server (It's a DC) backs up

    itself,
    > it takes about 4 hours to backup it's own data, including some local data
    > disk of 5 GB, with a throughput of around 21 MB/min only.
    >
    > Any idea what can cause this?
    > Even our distant site is being backed up faster and i am breaking my head
    > over it.
    >
    > Any help would be highly appreciated.
    >
    > Some details about our software/hardware:
    >
    > Backup server Server : Compaq Proliant ML370, runs Windows 2003 Server
    >
    > The backup tape: Compaq AIT 35 GB LVD Drive (Driver version 5.0 , from

    02.09.2003)

    > Backup Exec version installed : 9.1 rev. 4691
    >
    > Thanks a lot in advance!

  5. Re: VERY slow backup - Backup Exec 9.1

    "Olga" wrote:

    >Hi everybody,
    >
    >I really need your help.
    >
    >We seem to experience a backup problem - our entire backup process can takes
    >up to 10-12 (!) hours, including verify process and it doesn't seem reasonable.
    >
    >It takes the Backup Exec some 7 (!) hours to backup Microsoft Exchange Server
    >(Exchange 2003), with the throughput while backing up being around 18 MB/Min.
    >
    >The same problem occurs when the backup server (It's a DC) backs up itself,
    >it takes about 4 hours to backup it's own data, including some local data
    >disk of 5 GB, with a throughput of around 21 MB/min only.
    >
    >Any idea what can cause this?
    >Even our distant site is being backed up faster and i am breaking my head
    >over it.
    >
    >Any help would be highly appreciated.
    >
    >Some details about our software/hardware:
    >
    >Backup server Server : Compaq Proliant ML370, runs Windows 2003 Server
    >
    >The backup tape: Compaq AIT 35 GB LVD Drive (Driver version 5.0 , from 02.09.2003)
    >
    >Backup Exec version installed : 9.1 rev. 4691
    >
    >Thanks a lot in advance!

  6. Re: VERY slow backup - Backup Exec 9.1

    Olga wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I really need your help.
    >
    > We seem to experience a backup problem - our entire backup process can takes
    > up to 10-12 (!) hours, including verify process and it doesn't seem reasonable.
    >
    > It takes the Backup Exec some 7 (!) hours to backup Microsoft Exchange Server
    > (Exchange 2003), with the throughput while backing up being around 18 MB/Min.
    >
    > The same problem occurs when the backup server (It's a DC) backs up itself,
    > it takes about 4 hours to backup it's own data, including some local data
    > disk of 5 GB, with a throughput of around 21 MB/min only.
    >
    > Any idea what can cause this?
    > Even our distant site is being backed up faster and i am breaking my head
    > over it.
    >
    > Any help would be highly appreciated.
    >
    > Some details about our software/hardware:
    >
    > Backup server Server : Compaq Proliant ML370, runs Windows 2003 Server
    >
    > The backup tape: Compaq AIT 35 GB LVD Drive (Driver version 5.0 , from 02.09.2003)
    >
    > Backup Exec version installed : 9.1 rev. 4691
    >
    > Thanks a lot in advance!

    "Even our distant site is being backed up faster"

    Does this mean that the same media server is backing up the remote sites
    faster than itself and locallu networked machines?

    If it is all jobs on the same media server that are running slowly,
    check the settings for Block size and number for the drive. (Devices
    tab, right click\properties)

  7. Re: VERY slow backup - Backup Exec 9.1

    Thanks, i'll check that.

    Any idea about the Exchange backup though? It takes 7 hours and that's our
    biggest problem at the moment.

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Olga wrote:
    >> Hi everybody,
    >>
    >> I really need your help.
    >>
    >> We seem to experience a backup problem - our entire backup process can

    takes
    >> up to 10-12 (!) hours, including verify process and it doesn't seem reasonable.
    >>
    >> It takes the Backup Exec some 7 (!) hours to backup Microsoft Exchange

    Server
    >> (Exchange 2003), with the throughput while backing up being around 18

    MB/Min.

    >> The same problem occurs when the backup server (It's a DC) backs up itself,
    >> it takes about 4 hours to backup it's own data, including some local data
    >> disk of 5 GB, with a throughput of around 21 MB/min only.
    >>
    >> Any idea what can cause this?
    >> Even our distant site is being backed up faster and i am breaking my head
    >> over it.
    >>
    >> Any help would be highly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Some details about our software/hardware:
    >>
    >> Backup server Server : Compaq Proliant ML370, runs Windows 2003 Server
    >>
    >> The backup tape: Compaq AIT 35 GB LVD Drive (Driver version 5.0 , from

    02.09.2003)

    >> Backup Exec version installed : 9.1 rev. 4691
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot in advance!
    >>

    >"Even our distant site is being backed up faster"
    >
    >Does this mean that the same media server is backing up the remote sites

    >faster than itself and locallu networked machines?
    >
    >If it is all jobs on the same media server that are running slowly,
    >check the settings for Block size and number for the drive. (Devices
    >tab, right click\properties)

  8. Re: VERY slow backup - Backup Exec 9.1

    Olga wrote:
    > Thanks, i'll check that.
    >
    > Any idea about the Exchange backup though? It takes 7 hours and that's our
    > biggest problem at the moment.
    >

    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    >
    >>Olga wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi everybody,
    >>>
    >>>I really need your help.
    >>>
    >>>We seem to experience a backup problem - our entire backup process can

    > takes
    >
    >>>up to 10-12 (!) hours, including verify process and it doesn't seem reasonable.
    >>>
    >>>It takes the Backup Exec some 7 (!) hours to backup Microsoft Exchange

    > Server
    >
    >>>(Exchange 2003), with the throughput while backing up being around 18

    > MB/Min.
    >
    >>>The same problem occurs when the backup server (It's a DC) backs up itself,
    >>>it takes about 4 hours to backup it's own data, including some local data
    >>>disk of 5 GB, with a throughput of around 21 MB/min only.
    >>>
    >>>Any idea what can cause this?
    >>>Even our distant site is being backed up faster and i am breaking my head
    >>>over it.
    >>>
    >>>Any help would be highly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Some details about our software/hardware:
    >>>
    >>>Backup server Server : Compaq Proliant ML370, runs Windows 2003 Server
    >>>
    >>>The backup tape: Compaq AIT 35 GB LVD Drive (Driver version 5.0 , from

    > 02.09.2003)
    >
    >>>Backup Exec version installed : 9.1 rev. 4691
    >>>
    >>>Thanks a lot in advance!
    >>>

    >>"Even our distant site is being backed up faster"
    >>
    >>Does this mean that the same media server is backing up the remote sites

    >>faster than itself and locallu networked machines?
    >>
    >>If it is all jobs on the same media server that are running slowly,
    >>check the settings for Block size and number for the drive. (Devices
    >>tab, right click\properties)

    is that an Exchange Stores backup or a Brick Level backup? Brick Level
    is significantly slower. We've seen reports of 3-5 MB/min on decent
    machines here on the forum

  9. Re: VERY slow backup - Backup Exec 9.1

    Turn off any virus scan product during that time if possible. I ran into
    that problem myself, Norton for Exchange server on w2k box was taking 12+
    hours to do brick level backups. As opposed to 6 hour backups with the Northon
    AV service turned off!

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Olga wrote:
    >> Thanks, i'll check that.
    >>
    >> Any idea about the Exchange backup though? It takes 7 hours and that's

    our
    >> biggest problem at the moment.
    >>

    >> Ken Putnam wrote:

    >> takes

    >> Server

    >> MB/Min.

    data

    head

    >> 02.09.2003)

    >>>"Even our distant site is being backed up faster"
    >>>
    >>>Does this mean that the same media server is backing up the remote sites

    >>>faster than itself and locallu networked machines?
    >>>
    >>>If it is all jobs on the same media server that are running slowly,
    >>>check the settings for Block size and number for the drive. (Devices

    >>>tab, right click\properties)

    >is that an Exchange Stores backup or a Brick Level backup? Brick Level

    >is significantly slower. We've seen reports of 3-5 MB/min on decent
    >machines here on the forum

  10. Re: VERY slow backup - Backup Exec 9.1

    Matty B wrote:

    >Turn off any virus scan product during that time if possible. I ran into
    >that problem myself, Norton for Exchange server on w2k box was taking 12+
    >hours to do brick level backups. As opposed to 6 hour backups with the Northon
    >AV service turned off!
    >

    >Ken Putnam wrote:
    >

    >>Olga wrote:
    >>

    >>>Thanks, i'll check that.
    >>>
    >>>Any idea about the Exchange backup though? It takes 7 hours and that's
    >>>

    >our
    >

    >>>biggest problem at the moment.

    >>>takes

    >>>Server

    >>>MB/Min.

    >data

    >head

    >>>02.09.2003)

    >>is that an Exchange Stores backup or a Brick Level backup? Brick Level
    >>

    >>is significantly slower. We've seen reports of 3-5 MB/min on decent
    >>machines here on the forum

    Hello,

    The main problem in a brick level exchange backup (aka mailbox backup)
    is that the antivirus has to check every single mail that is backed up.
    Turning it off though makes you vulnerable to virus gathering in the
    mailboxes....
    A good strategy is to turn off the antivirus and the smtp protocol from
    the exchange manager for the backup window, however it is a manual
    operation and cannot be batched as others.
    Finally consider of using the exchange recovery storage group and stop
    taking a brick backup, with the recovery storage group you can restore
    your database in the r.s. group and not present it to the users, after
    that you can use exmerge to extract anything you want to a pst file and
    move it back to the user via the outlook client.
    I hope this helps....

+ Reply to Thread