Agent for AIX 4.2 ? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Agent for AIX 4.2 ? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I've just got the job of getting an old AIX box backing up to something other than it's own tape drive which has died. It looks like the current agent file on the Veritas FTP site doesn't support AIX 4.2 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Agent for AIX 4.2 ?

  1. Agent for AIX 4.2 ?


    I've just got the job of getting an old AIX box backing up to something other
    than it's own tape drive which has died. It looks like the current agent
    file on the Veritas FTP site doesn't support AIX 4.2 :-( I get errors relating
    to __bsd_init being undeclared.

    Does anyone have any pointers to an older agent that will work with AIX 4.2,
    or is that not the problem?

    Cheers
    Kevin


  2. Re: Agent for AIX 4.2 ?


    You need to install the Unix agent both in the BE server and the Unix server.
    Look for information on help or Veritas support page.
    It should work fine!


    "Kevin Sartorelli" wrote:
    >
    >I've just got the job of getting an old AIX box backing up to something

    other
    >than it's own tape drive which has died. It looks like the current agent
    >file on the Veritas FTP site doesn't support AIX 4.2 :-( I get errors relating
    >to __bsd_init being undeclared.
    >
    >Does anyone have any pointers to an older agent that will work with AIX

    4.2,
    >or is that not the problem?
    >
    >Cheers
    >Kevin
    >



  3. Re: Agent for AIX 4.2 ?


    Thanks for your reply to my message. The problem I'm having is that the agent
    in nls_agnt_262592.tar doesn't want to load on the AIX 4.2 box. The agent
    log shows:
    Could not load program /etc/bkupexec/agent.be
    Symbol __bsd_init in ksh is undefined
    Error was: Exec format error
    and the agent fails to run. A Google search seems to indicate that this
    error occurs when a program compiled for AIX 4.3+ is run on AIX 4.2 or below.
    I'm trying to get hold of an earlier agent so I can test this idea.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    "alex" wrote:
    >You need to install the Unix agent both in the BE server and the Unix server.
    >Look for information on help or Veritas support page.
    >It should work fine!



  4. Re: Agent for AIX 4.2 ?


    I installed the file be_agnt.tar.
    Are you sure about the file nls_agnt_262592.tar ?

    "Kevin Sartorelli" wrote:
    >
    >Thanks for your reply to my message. The problem I'm having is that the

    agent
    >in nls_agnt_262592.tar doesn't want to load on the AIX 4.2 box. The agent
    >log shows:
    > Could not load program /etc/bkupexec/agent.be
    > Symbol __bsd_init in ksh is undefined
    > Error was: Exec format error
    >and the agent fails to run. A Google search seems to indicate that this
    >error occurs when a program compiled for AIX 4.3+ is run on AIX 4.2 or below.
    > I'm trying to get hold of an earlier agent so I can test this idea.
    >
    >Cheers
    >Kevin
    >
    >"alex" wrote:
    >>You need to install the Unix agent both in the BE server and the Unix server.
    >>Look for information on help or Veritas support page.
    >>It should work fine!

    >



  5. Re: Agent for AIX 4.2 ?


    "alex" wrote:
    >I installed the file be_agnt.tar.
    >Are you sure about the file nls_agnt_262592.tar ?


    Yep. That is the one currently at:
    ftp://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/su...ec_for_Windows
    This is version 5.01 revision 5.046
    If your's is a different version I'd really like a copy or the location you
    got your from.

    Cheers
    Kevin

  6. Re: Agent for AIX 4.2 ?


    "Kevin Sartorelli" wrote:
    >
    >"alex" wrote:
    >>I installed the file be_agnt.tar.
    >>Are you sure about the file nls_agnt_262592.tar ?

    >
    >Yep. That is the one currently at:
    > ftp://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/su...ec_for_Windows
    >This is version 5.01 revision 5.046
    >If your's is a different version I'd really like a copy or the location

    you
    >got your from.
    >
    >Cheers
    >Kevin


    Check if the file is on the directory bellow:
    "C:\program files\veritas\backup exec\nt\agents\unix\"
    I think you can find it on BE CD too.
    Regards.


  7. Re: Agent for AIX 4.2 ?


    "alex" wrote:
    >"Kevin Sartorelli" wrote:
    >>>Are you sure about the file nls_agnt_262592.tar ?

    >>"Kevin Sartorelli" wrote:
    >>This is version 5.01 revision 5.046

    >Check if the file is on the directory bellow:
    >"C:\program files\veritas\backup exec\nt\agents\unix\"
    >I think you can find it on BE CD too.

    Thanks! Didn't even think of looking on the old CDs :-(

    Cheers
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread