Robotic Library and Cascaded Drive Pool - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Robotic Library and Cascaded Drive Pool - Veritas Backup Exec ; Does a Robotic Library Drive work the same as a Cascaded Drive Pool? In other words, when I select my Robotic Library as a backup device, will the backup job automatically "roll over" to the next drive when the first ...

  1. Robotic Library and Cascaded Drive Pool

    Does a Robotic Library Drive work the same as a Cascaded Drive Pool? In other
    words, when I select my Robotic Library as a backup device, will the backup
    job automatically "roll over" to the next drive when the first media is full?

  2. Re: Robotic Library and Cascaded Drive Pool

    Yes, once the first tape has been filled it will move on to use the second
    tape and so on through each of the slots. I assume you meant slot rather
    than drive as that would be something completely different, and somewhat
    pointless.

    Keith

    "Ed" wrote in message news:41ba3848@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > Does a Robotic Library Drive work the same as a Cascaded Drive Pool? In

    other
    > words, when I select my Robotic Library as a backup device, will the

    backup
    > job automatically "roll over" to the next drive when the first media is

    full?

  3. Re: Robotic Library and Cascaded Drive Pool

    Actually, I did mean drive. With four drives in the robotic library, I want
    to make sure all drives get used.

    ~Ed

    "Keith Langmead" wrote:
    >Yes, once the first tape has been filled it will move on to use the second
    >tape and so on through each of the slots. I assume you meant slot rather
    >than drive as that would be something completely different, and somewhat
    >pointless.
    >
    >Keith
    >
    >"Ed" wrote in message news:41ba3848@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >>
    >> Does a Robotic Library Drive work the same as a Cascaded Drive Pool? In

    >other
    >> words, when I select my Robotic Library as a backup device, will the

    >backup
    >> job automatically "roll over" to the next drive when the first media is

    >full?

  4. Re: Robotic Library and Cascaded Drive Pool

    Ahhhh, in that case then I think the answer would be no, however I'm not
    certain.

    I believe even on an autoloader each drive is handled individually, so you
    would normally assign different jobs to each drive, so they can all run at
    the same time. In an autoloader it would be pointless to try and use all of
    the drives, since with only one job you can only have one running at a time,
    and since it's an autoloader it can change the tape in a single drive
    anyway, so there is little benefit.

    I guess you could put them all into a drive pool, and do as you are
    suggesting, but I don't know if BEWS will accept that, and honestly don't
    see a point in doing it.

    Keith

    "Ed" wrote in message news:41bdf045@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > Actually, I did mean drive. With four drives in the robotic library, I

    want
    > to make sure all drives get used.
    >
    > ~Ed
    >

    > "Keith Langmead" wrote:
    > >Yes, once the first tape has been filled it will move on to use the

    second
    > >tape and so on through each of the slots. I assume you meant slot rather
    > >than drive as that would be something completely different, and somewhat
    > >pointless.
    > >
    > >Keith
    > >
    > >"Ed" wrote in message news:41ba3848@ROSASTDMZ05....
    > >>
    > >> Does a Robotic Library Drive work the same as a Cascaded Drive Pool? In

    > >other
    > >> words, when I select my Robotic Library as a backup device, will the

    > >backup
    > >> job automatically "roll over" to the next drive when the first media is

    > >full?

+ Reply to Thread