Backup-to-disk - BIG Raid 0 or several JBOD? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup-to-disk - BIG Raid 0 or several JBOD? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi all, I'm woundering which of the following has faster speed: 1. 4 disk form a RAID 0 and set the backup-to-disk folder to run 4 concurrent jobs. 2. 4 disk, each one as a seperate b2d folder, and then ...

  1. Backup-to-disk - BIG Raid 0 or several JBOD?

    Hi all,

    I'm woundering which of the following has faster speed:

    1. 4 disk form a RAID 0 and set the backup-to-disk folder to run 4
    concurrent jobs.

    2. 4 disk, each one as a seperate b2d folder, and then only 1 job at each
    disk. The total would be also 4 concurrent jobs.

    Thanks!!

  2. Re: Backup-to-disk - BIG Raid 0 or several JBOD?

    Purely based on HDD performance I'd say the second option will be faster,
    since the first option is in effect one single drive, and you can only have
    one job running on each drive at a time.

    The server itself will get hammered, and you'll probably be running the
    network / HDD's / processor at max depending on which causes a bottle neck,
    but it if you're using decent kit it should be nice and fast.

    Keith

    "Bertson" wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm woundering which of the following has faster speed:
    >
    > 1. 4 disk form a RAID 0 and set the backup-to-disk folder to run 4
    > concurrent jobs.
    >
    > 2. 4 disk, each one as a seperate b2d folder, and then only 1 job at each
    > disk. The total would be also 4 concurrent jobs.
    >
    > Thanks!!

  3. Re: Backup-to-disk - BIG Raid 0 or several JBOD?

    Its also a function of how your B2D works. Are you backing up local files or
    are they over a network.? Is the network a LAN or WAN? If LAN, are you using
    100Mbit or Gigabit?

    If you are doing local disk to local disk, then you will quickly flood your
    scsi/(s)ata bus with multiple jobs.
    A single job 100Mbit LAN B2D setup will usually flood your hub/switch.
    A single job Gigabit LAN B2D setup might flood the bus of the disks.

    I only setup multiple B2D jobs when the source media is significantly slower
    than the destination media. example: A backup server has a gigabit NIC and
    the source servers are running 100Mbit.

    "Keith Langmead" wrote in message
    > Purely based on HDD performance I'd say the second option will be faster,
    > since the first option is in effect one single drive, and you can only

    have
    > one job running on each drive at a time.
    >
    > The server itself will get hammered, and you'll probably be running the
    > network / HDD's / processor at max depending on which causes a bottle

    neck,
    > but it if you're using decent kit it should be nice and fast.
    >
    > Keith
    >
    > "Bertson" wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I'm woundering which of the following has faster speed:
    > >
    > > 1. 4 disk form a RAID 0 and set the backup-to-disk folder to run 4
    > > concurrent jobs.
    > >
    > > 2. 4 disk, each one as a seperate b2d folder, and then only 1 job at

    each
    > > disk. The total would be also 4 concurrent jobs.
    > >
    > > Thanks!!

+ Reply to Thread