Backup fails with tape swap - Help! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup fails with tape swap - Help! - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi All I'm running Veritas 9.1 Backup Exec for Windows. The pc is a Win2K Pro box and runs a Certance 6 Tape DAT Autoloader. My backups are pretty straight forward. I run two tapes every Friday for my Full ...

  1. Backup fails with tape swap - Help!

    Hi All

    I'm running Veritas 9.1 Backup Exec for Windows. The pc is a Win2K Pro
    box and runs a Certance 6 Tape DAT Autoloader. My backups are pretty
    straight forward. I run two tapes every Friday for my Full Backup and during
    the week, 4 separate tapes for my Differential, Mon-Thurs. I don't set any
    overwrite protection. Every Monday, I change all 6 tapes and start fresh.
    Here's where the trouble starts...
    Every time I change these 6 tapes...I lose my drive...or so it appears.
    No inventory runs, nothing. If I let it go as scheduled for that night...the
    backup never runs. Sits there loading the tape forever. I've been on the
    phone with Veritas (no help) and have reinstalled everything with the latest
    drivers. Still nothing. The only way it seems I can get it to work again is
    buy shutting down the system and re-initializing the drive...and that
    doesn't always work. I was also able to get it working again one time by
    re-labeling all my tapes but that's a pain and I shouldn't have to. I simply
    want to change my tapes every Monday and not have to worry about this stupid
    thing.

    Any ideas? Anyone?

    You input is desperately needed and very much appreciated!

    TIA

    Pikk

  2. Re: Backup fails with tape swap - Help!

    Pikk wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > I'm running Veritas 9.1 Backup Exec for Windows. The pc is a Win2K Pro
    > box and runs a Certance 6 Tape DAT Autoloader. My backups are pretty
    > straight forward. I run two tapes every Friday for my Full Backup and during
    > the week, 4 separate tapes for my Differential, Mon-Thurs. I don't set any
    > overwrite protection. Every Monday, I change all 6 tapes and start fresh.
    > Here's where the trouble starts...
    > Every time I change these 6 tapes...I lose my drive...or so it appears.
    > No inventory runs, nothing. If I let it go as scheduled for that night...the
    > backup never runs. Sits there loading the tape forever. I've been on the
    > phone with Veritas (no help) and have reinstalled everything with the latest
    > drivers. Still nothing. The only way it seems I can get it to work again is
    > buy shutting down the system and re-initializing the drive...and that
    > doesn't always work. I was also able to get it working again one time by
    > re-labeling all my tapes but that's a pain and I shouldn't have to. I simply
    > want to change my tapes every Monday and not have to worry about this stupid
    > thing.
    >
    > Any ideas? Anyone?
    >
    > You input is desperately needed and very much appreciated!
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Pikk

    AFAIK, you must re-inventory (Right click the changer, select Inventory
    All) when you swap tapes. If you don't, BEWS thinks that the old tapes
    still mounted. If they are overwrite protected, BEWS should pop up an
    alert asking for scratch media, and the job status will be "Loading"

  3. Re: Backup fails with tape swap - Help!

    Hi Ken

    I have done this before but as I mentioned below...most of the time my drive
    won't even initialize after the tape change. The lights are on, tapes are
    loaded but nothing happens. It's like it loses contact with the Veritas
    engine for some reason.

    Thanks for your input

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > Pikk wrote:
    > > Hi All
    > >
    > > I'm running Veritas 9.1 Backup Exec for Windows. The pc is a Win2K

    Pro
    > > box and runs a Certance 6 Tape DAT Autoloader. My backups are pretty
    > > straight forward. I run two tapes every Friday for my Full Backup and

    during
    > > the week, 4 separate tapes for my Differential, Mon-Thurs. I don't set

    any
    > > overwrite protection. Every Monday, I change all 6 tapes and start

    fresh.
    > > Here's where the trouble starts...
    > > Every time I change these 6 tapes...I lose my drive...or so it

    appears.
    > > No inventory runs, nothing. If I let it go as scheduled for that

    night...the
    > > backup never runs. Sits there loading the tape forever. I've been on the
    > > phone with Veritas (no help) and have reinstalled everything with the

    latest
    > > drivers. Still nothing. The only way it seems I can get it to work again

    is
    > > buy shutting down the system and re-initializing the drive...and that
    > > doesn't always work. I was also able to get it working again one time by
    > > re-labeling all my tapes but that's a pain and I shouldn't have to. I

    simply
    > > want to change my tapes every Monday and not have to worry about this

    stupid
    > > thing.
    > >
    > > Any ideas? Anyone?
    > >
    > > You input is desperately needed and very much appreciated!
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Pikk
    > >

    > AFAIK, you must re-inventory (Right click the changer, select Inventory
    > All) when you swap tapes. If you don't, BEWS thinks that the old tapes
    > still mounted. If they are overwrite protected, BEWS should pop up an
    > alert asking for scratch media, and the job status will be "Loading"

  4. Re: Backup fails with tape swap - Help!

    Pikk wrote:
    > Hi Ken
    >
    > I have done this before but as I mentioned below...most of the time my drive
    > won't even initialize after the tape change. The lights are on, tapes are
    > loaded but nothing happens. It's like it loses contact with the Veritas
    > engine for some reason.
    >
    > Thanks for your input

    > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >
    >>Pikk wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi All
    >>>
    >>> I'm running Veritas 9.1 Backup Exec for Windows. The pc is a Win2K

    > Pro
    >
    >>>box and runs a Certance 6 Tape DAT Autoloader. My backups are pretty
    >>>straight forward. I run two tapes every Friday for my Full Backup and

    > during
    >
    >>>the week, 4 separate tapes for my Differential, Mon-Thurs. I don't set

    > any
    >
    >>>overwrite protection. Every Monday, I change all 6 tapes and start

    > fresh.
    >
    >>>Here's where the trouble starts...
    >>> Every time I change these 6 tapes...I lose my drive...or so it

    > appears.
    >
    >>>No inventory runs, nothing. If I let it go as scheduled for that

    > night...the
    >
    >>>backup never runs. Sits there loading the tape forever. I've been on the
    >>>phone with Veritas (no help) and have reinstalled everything with the

    > latest
    >
    >>>drivers. Still nothing. The only way it seems I can get it to work again

    > is
    >
    >>>buy shutting down the system and re-initializing the drive...and that
    >>>doesn't always work. I was also able to get it working again one time by
    >>>re-labeling all my tapes but that's a pain and I shouldn't have to. I

    > simply
    >
    >>>want to change my tapes every Monday and not have to worry about this

    > stupid
    >
    >>>thing.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas? Anyone?
    >>>
    >>>You input is desperately needed and very much appreciated!
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>>
    >>>Pikk
    >>>

    >>AFAIK, you must re-inventory (Right click the changer, select Inventory
    >>All) when you swap tapes. If you don't, BEWS thinks that the old tapes
    >>still mounted. If they are overwrite protected, BEWS should pop up an
    >>alert asking for scratch media, and the job status will be "Loading"

    then all the standard questions apply -

    Does NTBackup appear to function normally?
    Are you using Veritas drivers or manufacturer drivers? (I prefer mfg
    drivers, myself)
    Are you current on firmware and drivers for both the controller and the
    library?

  5. Re: Backup fails with tape swap - Help!

    Hey Ken

    I'll check those things out. As far as I know...everything's up-to-date
    and when the backup runs...it runs flawlessly. Funny that you mention the
    drivers for the tape drive though and your preference for the mfg ones.
    Veritas insisted that I use only their drivers. I disagreed with them
    but...they're the experts.

+ Reply to Thread