Overwrite protection - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Overwrite protection - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am a long time user of BackupExec. I recently upgraded to 9.1. I believe I am missing something very basic. I have setup 1 media set with overwrite protection set at 2 weeks, infinite append. I have added tapes ...

  1. Overwrite protection

    I am a long time user of BackupExec. I recently upgraded to 9.1.

    I believe I am missing something very basic.

    I have setup 1 media set with overwrite protection set at 2 weeks, infinite
    append. I have added tapes to the backup set. Global overwrite is set to
    "Partial."

    I have 2 backup jobs defined. A "Full Backup" which runs on Saturday and an
    incremental which runs on weeknights.

    The incremental backups work fine. The overwrite protection is as I expect.

    Full backups are a nother story - each full backup is marking tapes as
    "Infinite - Don't Allow Overwrite."

    What am I missing?

    Regards,
    - Greg Crowe

  2. Re: Overwrite protection

    Greg Crowe wrote:
    > I am a long time user of BackupExec. I recently upgraded to 9.1.
    >
    > I believe I am missing something very basic.
    >
    > I have setup 1 media set with overwrite protection set at 2 weeks, infinite
    > append. I have added tapes to the backup set. Global overwrite is set to
    > "Partial."
    >
    > I have 2 backup jobs defined. A "Full Backup" which runs on Saturday and an
    > incremental which runs on weeknights.
    >
    > The incremental backups work fine. The overwrite protection is as I expect.
    >
    > Full backups are a nother story - each full backup is marking tapes as
    > "Infinite - Don't Allow Overwrite."
    >
    > What am I missing?
    >
    > Regards,
    > - Greg Crowe

    Are the jobs writting to the same media set? If not, check the
    properties of the Weekly Full media set.

  3. Re: Overwrite protection

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Greg Crowe wrote:
    >> I am a long time user of BackupExec. I recently upgraded to 9.1.
    >>
    >> I believe I am missing something very basic.
    >>
    >> I have setup 1 media set with overwrite protection set at 2 weeks, infinite

    >> append. I have added tapes to the backup set. Global overwrite is set

    >> "Partial."
    >>
    >> I have 2 backup jobs defined. A "Full Backup" which runs on Saturday

    and an
    >> incremental which runs on weeknights.
    >>
    >> The incremental backups work fine. The overwrite protection is as I expect.
    >>
    >> Full backups are a nother story - each full backup is marking tapes as

    >> "Infinite - Don't Allow Overwrite."
    >>
    >> What am I missing?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> - Greg Crowe
    >>

    >Are the jobs writting to the same media set? If not, check the
    >properties of the Weekly Full media set.

    Download the patch
    http://support.veritas.com/docs/264795
    thanks GT

  4. Re: Overwrite protection

    "cool_taran14" wrote in message

    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    >>Greg Crowe wrote:
    >>> I am a long time user of BackupExec. I recently upgraded to 9.1.
    >>>
    >>> I believe I am missing something very basic.
    >>>
    >>> I have setup 1 media set with overwrite protection set at 2 weeks,
    >>> infinite

    >>> append. I have added tapes to the backup set. Global overwrite is set

    >>> "Partial."
    >>>
    >>> I have 2 backup jobs defined. A "Full Backup" which runs on Saturday

    > and an
    >>> incremental which runs on weeknights.
    >>>
    >>> The incremental backups work fine. The overwrite protection is as I
    >>> expect.
    >>>
    >>> Full backups are a nother story - each full backup is marking tapes as

    >>> "Infinite - Don't Allow Overwrite."
    >>>
    >>> What am I missing?
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> - Greg Crowe
    >>>

    >>Are the jobs writting to the same media set? If not, check the
    >>properties of the Weekly Full media set.

    > Download the patch
    > http://support.veritas.com/docs/264795
    > thanks GT

    The patch did it. Thank you so much!