What's the deal? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on What's the deal? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have BEW9.0, using imation DDS-150 (20/40GB) tapes, sony tape drive, Windows2000 Server. Backing up fine for years, approximatley 20 GB per tape, using two tapes per job. Now all of the sudden I am only backing up about 7 ...

  1. What's the deal?

    I have BEW9.0, using imation DDS-150 (20/40GB) tapes, sony tape drive,
    Windows2000 Server.

    Backing up fine for years, approximatley 20 GB per tape, using two tapes per
    job.

    Now all of the sudden I am only backing up about 7 or 8 GB per tape, 3 or 4
    tapes per job.
    No changes in the system, server, etc..
    I did buy new tapes about a week ago and started using them this past
    Monday, but they are
    the same as the old ones.

    I do not know what happened.

    Please help.

    --
    Thanks

    Timothy A Green
    Rhotenberry Wellen Architects
    Midland, TX

  2. Re: What's the deal?

    No.

    But my backup job just failed. It only backed up about half of the info.
    The mesage basically says the tape is bad or corrupt or the tape drive is
    dirty and to clean the tape drive or use new tapes.

    I did these options last week. I am using some old tapes. Should I use
    only new ones?

    Should I talk to the tape drive manuf instead?

    --

    "Jason Reynolds" wrote in message

    > You aren't appending data are you?
    >
    > "Timothy A Green" wrote:
    > >I have BEW9.0, using imation DDS-150 (20/40GB) tapes, sony tape drive,
    > >Windows2000 Server.
    > >
    > >Backing up fine for years, approximatley 20 GB per tape, using two tapes

    > per
    > >job.
    > >
    > >Now all of the sudden I am only backing up about 7 or 8 GB per tape, 3 or

    > 4
    > >tapes per job.
    > >No changes in the system, server, etc..
    > >I did buy new tapes about a week ago and started using them this past
    > >Monday, but they are
    > >the same as the old ones.
    > >
    > >I do not know what happened.
    > >

    > >Please help.
    > >

    > >--
    > >Thanks
    > >
    > >Timothy A Green
    > >Rhotenberry Wellen Architects
    > >Midland, TX

  3. Re: What's the deal?

    "Timothy A Green" wrote:
    >I have BEW9.0, using imation DDS-150 (20/40GB) tapes, sony tape drive,
    >Windows2000 Server.
    >
    >Backing up fine for years, approximatley 20 GB per tape, using two tapes

    per
    >job.
    >
    >Now all of the sudden I am only backing up about 7 or 8 GB per tape, 3 or

    4
    >tapes per job.
    >No changes in the system, server, etc..
    >I did buy new tapes about a week ago and started using them this past
    >Monday, but they are
    >the same as the old ones.
    >
    >I do not know what happened.
    >

    >Please help.
    >

    >--
    >Thanks
    >
    >Timothy A Green
    >Rhotenberry Wellen Architects
    >Midland, TX

  4. Re: What's the deal?

    If the drive Mfg has a diagnostics utility, run that.

    Sure does sound like a hardware fault with the tape drive

    You're on the latest firware and mfg drivers (not BEWS drivers or MS
    drivers) for the SCSI controller and the tape drive ?

    "Timothy A Green" wrote in message
    > No.
    >
    > But my backup job just failed. It only backed up about half of the info.
    > The mesage basically says the tape is bad or corrupt or the tape drive is
    > dirty and to clean the tape drive or use new tapes.
    >
    > I did these options last week. I am using some old tapes. Should I use
    > only new ones?
    >
    > Should I talk to the tape drive manuf instead?
    >

    > --
    > Thanks
    >
    > Timothy A Green
    > Rhotenberry Wellen Architects
    > Midland, TX
    >

    > "Jason Reynolds" wrote in message
    > >
    > > You aren't appending data are you?
    > >
    > > "Timothy A Green" wrote:
    > > >I have BEW9.0, using imation DDS-150 (20/40GB) tapes, sony tape drive,
    > > >Windows2000 Server.
    > > >
    > > >Backing up fine for years, approximatley 20 GB per tape, using two

    tapes
    > > per
    > > >job.
    > > >
    > > >Now all of the sudden I am only backing up about 7 or 8 GB per tape, 3

    or
    > > 4
    > > >tapes per job.
    > > >No changes in the system, server, etc..
    > > >I did buy new tapes about a week ago and started using them this past
    > > >Monday, but they are
    > > >the same as the old ones.
    > > >
    > > >I do not know what happened.
    > > >

    > > >Please help.
    > > >

    > > >--
    > > >Thanks
    > > >
    > > >Timothy A Green
    > > >Rhotenberry Wellen Architects
    > > >Midland, TX

  5. Re: What's the deal?

    Thanks for your help. I will try the suggestions and let everybody know what
    happens.

    Thanks again Jason and Ken.

    --

    > I have BEW9.0, using imation DDS-150 (20/40GB) tapes, sony tape drive,
    > Windows2000 Server.
    >
    > Backing up fine for years, approximatley 20 GB per tape, using two tapes

    per
    > job.
    >
    > Now all of the sudden I am only backing up about 7 or 8 GB per tape, 3 or

    4
    > tapes per job.
    > No changes in the system, server, etc..
    > I did buy new tapes about a week ago and started using them this past
    > Monday, but they are
    > the same as the old ones.
    >
    > I do not know what happened.
    >

    > Please help.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks
    >
    > Timothy A Green
    > Rhotenberry Wellen Architects
    > Midland, TX

  6. Re: What's the deal?

    I agree with Ken. Try new tapes. If you have any additional drives of the
    same type try using the questionable tapes in those. Also reset the SCSI
    cabling if you can. I find many seeemingly "tape related" errors turn out
    to be cabling issues.

    "Timothy A Green" wrote:
    >No.
    >
    >But my backup job just failed. It only backed up about half of the info.
    >The mesage basically says the tape is bad or corrupt or the tape drive is
    >dirty and to clean the tape drive or use new tapes.
    >
    >I did these options last week. I am using some old tapes. Should I use
    >only new ones?
    >
    >Should I talk to the tape drive manuf instead?
    >

    >--
    >Thanks
    >
    >Timothy A Green
    >Rhotenberry Wellen Architects
    >Midland, TX
    >

    >"Jason Reynolds" wrote in message
    >>
    >> You aren't appending data are you?
    >>
    >> "Timothy A Green" wrote:
    >> >I have BEW9.0, using imation DDS-150 (20/40GB) tapes, sony tape drive,
    >> >Windows2000 Server.
    >> >
    >> >Backing up fine for years, approximatley 20 GB per tape, using two tapes

    >> per
    >> >job.
    >> >
    >> >Now all of the sudden I am only backing up about 7 or 8 GB per tape,

    3 or
    >> 4
    >> >tapes per job.
    >> >No changes in the system, server, etc..
    >> >I did buy new tapes about a week ago and started using them this past
    >> >Monday, but they are
    >> >the same as the old ones.
    >> >
    >> >I do not know what happened.
    >> >

    >> >Please help.